[Mk2] [Generic] help needed...adjusting coilovers

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dansREV2turbo

[Mk2] [Generic] help needed...adjusting coilovers

Post by dansREV2turbo »

ive got some new wheels for my car and i need to raise the car front and rear so they fit.
the rears wheels are a bigger in height by about 3/4" and would foul the rear arch lip as they are.
the fronts are slighty smaller in height but they are 1" wider, they are 7j on the front atm but just tuck behind the arch so that will need raising too.

my question is, obviously to raise it an inch, i wouldnt need to wind the spring collar up an inch as the spring would be tighter and raise it more than required.

i want it to be as low as possible without hitting the arches but i dont really want to be taking the wheels on and off all day :pale: .

does anyone know generally what equals what?

ie. 5mm wound up on the collar gives say 10mm lift?...
Steve-O 2007

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] help needed...adjusting coilovers

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

get the lip on the front arches shaved off :thumleft:

The lip on mine has been shaved off and I have 18" 8J wheels on the front with the cusco coilovers set on the lowest setting :mrgreen:

dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

have you still got the arch liners in? :-k
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

The plastic arch liners? Yea but not much of them as they have been ripped to bits by the tyres (the top of the liners are ok) :mrgreen:
ferrit

Post by ferrit »

Steve - do you find that you get rubbing under brakeing at all? I'm very similar setup to you ( in wheel size/suspension ) and i'm getting a bit of grinding from the front under braking ... wonder whether it's the caliper, or the arch!!!
phipck

Post by phipck »

hey chap, its realy hard to say, im involved in a thread titled "coilover math" which started with a very simular question about preload on k-sport coilovers.

the ratio of height increase to shortening of spring is highly dependent on the strength of the spring, my coilovers have soft springs so i get about 5mm to every 2mm i tighten, but this difference increases as it gets tighter. the way i workd it out in the end (as my suspension is different from yours) was to jack up the car stick a piece of tape on the arch and the wheel (as fixed marking points at 10cm apart) lower the car back down and check clearence. the reason i put the markers is because each corner of the car weighs different amounts, so if you increase the drivers rear by 10mm then go do the passanger rear you will find the driverside, which is heavier on my N/A, is still only a fraction raised where the passanger side will raise higher. with the markers in place you can measure the height difference on level ground as you know with no load the markers are 10cm apart, this will highlight the differing weight on each corner for you.......then you need to tighten accordingly!

i dont think theres a definitive measurement calculation, just ball park figures and as i mentioned its different for different spring rates and brands of coilover
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

thanks phipck, sounds like a bit of a ball ache!

on mr2oc it has been mentioned i dont adjust the spring collar, i adjust the one further down (just above the 2 big bolts that connect it to the hub), but that would raise the sus a bit out of the clamp iyswim... is that ok/normal?

heres a pic of a damper.

and pic of a nice surprise that i didnt know was there untill today..
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

ferrit wrote:Steve - do you find that you get rubbing under brakeing at all? I'm very similar setup to you ( in wheel size/suspension ) and i'm getting a bit of grinding from the front under braking ... wonder whether it's the caliper, or the arch!!!

Havent noticed any, I get scrapping noises from the wheels scraping the plastic arch inserts when on full lock but thats about it.

Oh and the ride feels Very stiff so maybe the previous owner set the shocks stiff (if you can do that, I think you can cant you) which is why it doesnt scrape when I brake?.

Maybe its the tyre size, will get the tyre size that Im using for you asap :thumleft:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

I have Dunlop Sport Maxx 215 40 ZR 18's on the front :thumleft:
phipck

Post by phipck »

lol yeh dansREV2turbo, im on mr2oc also ;)
ferrit

Post by ferrit »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:
ferrit wrote:Steve - do you find that you get rubbing under brakeing at all? I'm very similar setup to you ( in wheel size/suspension ) and i'm getting a bit of grinding from the front under braking ... wonder whether it's the caliper, or the arch!!!

Havent noticed any, I get scrapping noises from the wheels scraping the plastic arch inserts when on full lock but thats about it.

Oh and the ride feels Very stiff so maybe the previous owner set the shocks stiff (if you can do that, I think you can cant you) which is why it doesnt scrape when I brake?.

Maybe its the tyre size, will get the tyre size that Im using for you asap :thumleft:

I get the same under full lock as well bud ... i'm going to have a look at the arch liner tomorrow, might take it out... if I can, then test under braking. No noise then = I know what's causing it!

Return to “Mechanical”