[Mk2] [Turbo] Mk2 Turbo - sub 1100kg - No carbon - No glass fibre

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

skinthespin

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Mk2 Turbo - sub 1100kg - No carbon - No glass fibre

Post by skinthespin »

First off I stated I had 'only' a quarter tank of fuel and Jonb said he had 3/4 so no ones hiding anything.

And being good friends with Jon we have already talked about it, his is lighter in some areas and mine in others, so with his tank full and mine my car is probably 20-25kg lighter, which considering the heavy bits on mine I could probably make mine 60-70kg lighter than his, which would be a sub 1100kg car on full fuel.

On top of that you could start spending some cash with panels etc and make it even lighter.

I tend not to run full fuel on a trackday and take a few jerry cans. I do around 7mpg on a dry track too so filling up is a regular thing.

As for weighing the only real accurate way is on some corner scales, and decent motorsport place or similar will have some, definitely worth doing before you attack the car, I wish I had!

I just posted this as realistically teh only money I have spent is on light wheels, which in itself is relative as they are probably heavier than the standard 15's, my point being you can endow your car with terrific performance for no cash at all, just a bit of graft and as long as you accept your car will be rubbish on the road!
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

jonb- wrote:
Tony at Wim has corner weights now if you fancy a run up to london...

Superb :thumleft:

Well Skinthespin I think it's an achievement regardless of how much/little fuel you had in the car (why does IMOC have to be so pedantic all the time!) Its a good result so far and you should be rightly chuffed.

My car is awfull on the road anyway so I might as well do it properly...
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

got any good tips for removing stuff you dont need???

ive removed a/c compressor, engine hooks, spare wheel, front trunk plastic surround (weighs nothing i know)...er, not stock cat, just downpipe....no turbo support stays..

removed pipes/conenctions for the a/c unit in the bay, light induction kit, so stock induction box...
no abs

unfortunatly, things that may of added weight....
greddy lip and sideskits
staggred 17s (tho they are a lightweight wheel, tyres weigh quite a bit)
leather seats
rogue engine lid fans...
nur spec

thats about it....
be nice if i could get near 1200kg...im asuming im still quite close to stock gts 1290kg with a tbar....
id prefer remvoing bits than paying a load for CF......

Return to “Modifications”