[Mk2] [Generic] Corner reflectors keep falling out!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Whippett

[Mk2] [Generic] Corner reflectors keep falling out!

Post by Whippett »

Arghhhhhhhh!! I've lost my drivers side corner reflector for the 3rd time!

I lost my driver's side reflector before JAE last year, so bought some smoked ones at JAE, by the time I'd got home, it'd fallen out again!

I bought some new ones which have been on for a while and the other day.... it's gone again ](*,)

I have a new set, but I'm damned if I'm going to let it happen again! I'm tempted to silicone it in, but wanted to see if anyone had a better solution?

Cheers :D
Stretchermunkey

reflectors

Post by Stretchermunkey »

I have had the same problem as you, in the end I replaced all the bulbs with LED's, so I don't have to worry about replacing them. Then used a small amount of superglue to keep them in place. I did have to remove one subsequently and it came away without too much trauma, but still haven't lost any yet.
Steve :D
fearless

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Corner reflectors keep falling out!

Post by fearless »

theres 2 plastic lugs that locate on light as you know and the metal clip clips in to hold front, chances are plastic has worn away or maybe you could try bending out the clip to see if it holds it any better, or it could be a case of both mine fit in quite tight :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Mine are that tight, that you really need to "hammer" then in. So it does seem that something is worn and not creating the tight fit required.
Or........ someone keeps nicking them.
EX Caribbean Blue 10th Anniversary 1996 T-bar
EX Black 1995 mk2 GT Turbo
NOW Audi TT V6 3.2 DSG 2004 Coupe
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Paul @ Kent Car Craft wrote:Arghhhhhhhh!! I've lost my drivers side corner reflector for the 3rd time!

I lost my driver's side reflector before JAE last year, so bought some smoked ones at JAE, by the time I'd got home, it'd fallen out again!

I bought some new ones which have been on for a while and the other day.... it's gone again ](*,)

I have a new set, but I'm damned if I'm going to let it happen again! I'm tempted to silicone it in, but wanted to see if anyone had a better solution?

Cheers :D

Having read about all these people losing their corners, ive tried a little modification on one of mine whilst the car is off the road,
on the back of the reflector there is a pin which clips into a plastic holder ,if you unscrew the pin and replace with a long bolt without a head ,then remove the plastic holder in the car bodywork ,the bolt then goes through the hole and you can put a big washer and nut on ,bit fiddly if you want to change a bulb ,but be honest when was the last time a bulb blew??
Not tried it out yet as the cars on ramps ,ill try and get some pictures if i can ,but the cars in an awkward place ,so you'll just have to picture it in your mind

Ps Do you want to sell the old ones :whistle:
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

I have aftermarket clear corners and they're not the best fit. The bulbs don't even fit properly either and I have to use glue. Every few days they seem to loosen and pop open. I'm going to try putting some glue in the join.
Whippett

Post by Whippett »

Right, fitted the new ones today, wound out the metal studs on the reflectors slightly and araldited the mofo's in! If they fall out now, I will scream!

BLZ-8027, you have PM :mrgreen:
RichardPON

Post by RichardPON »

I nut and bolted the main lights in, and then ran a cable tie through the reflector and into a secure point.

Then got them snuggly fitted and I wont lose one again. Will also be harder for the little thieves who knicked my last set after two days.
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

RichardPON wrote:I nut and bolted the main lights in, and then ran a cable tie through the reflector and into a secure point.

Sort of how I've just done mine, Once the reflector "clicks" into place I zip tied round the plastic fixing the metal stud clips into, have to remove the arch liners to change the bulbs now but darned if they are coming out again!!

By the way, as I'm on my third set of clear lights now I've found the ones from JDM performance to be spot on, new wiring looms, bulbs and holders that actually fit, :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”