[Mk2] [Turbo] Mk2 Turbo - sub 1100kg - No carbon - No glass fibre

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

skinthespin

[Mk2] [Turbo] Mk2 Turbo - sub 1100kg - No carbon - No glass fibre

Post by skinthespin »

Ok, well thats a bit of a lie, it was actually 1109.5kg.

But having just weighed my car with very accurate scales to measure the corner weights I was quite pleased with this weight, especially as I have some very heavy bits on the car, and I haven't spent any money on any weight saving bits (with the exception of some light mirrors).

If I was going for all out weight I think I could shave another 50kg off without too much bother as my car has the following heavy bits:

8.5x17 inch front wheels
9.5x17 inch rears with road rubber, not light track stuff

So if I fitted lightweight 16's with decent rubber I think that would save 20 ish kg

I have Celica GT4 callipers (which are huge) and 315 discs from an LS400, so I think standard brakes would save about 10 kg in total

I also have a chargecooler, regardless of the benefits of this it still weighs more than an air-air IC, so that would be another 20 kg by the time you add up all the fluid etc.

Replace a few panels with GRP or carbon and you would have a 1000kg Turbo I think......
Greddy-Matt

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Mk2 Turbo - sub 1100kg - No carbon - No glass fibre

Post by Greddy-Matt »

How have you managed that sort of figure without resorting to the above?? :shock:

It's pretty impressive, I'm aiming for around the same sort of weight...
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Hi Matt,

being pretty aggresive with bits you don't need, don;t get me wrong the car is a total pain on the road, ive removed all sound deadening, removed window mechanisms, removed brackets from behind the dash etc etc, so the thing is extremely noisey.

I have also removed a lot of wiring (which is suprisingly heavy) and taken an angle grinder to bits of bracketry you dont need. Also cut away the inner skin of the door, which held the window winder mechanism, so its pretty extreme.

just paying attention to detail and chipping away at the weight is the way to do it, stuff like removing engine hoist brackets, and bits that are less obvious.

I am thinking if you replaced a few panels as well as doing the bits I have said you could get a genuine sub 1000kg Mk2 turbo.
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Sounds like you've been pretty aggressive with it! Sub 1000Kg would give a pretty good power to weight ratio!

I have noticed there do seem to be an awful lot of random mounts and drillings in the car (extra lugs on the turbo hot pipe, random bolts/mountings on the firewalls/bulkheads etc) Have you got any pics, would be interesting to see what it all looks like :)

Overall would you say it’s noticeable? Worth the effort?
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

I have one of the rear hubs removed at the moment to replace a wheel bearing, but will take some pics when its back together.

Definitely worth it in terms of performance, not only in straight line but the handling is much better and obviously you have less weight to stop so your easier on the brakes too, also the car feels massively quick because its so unrefined, so its a laugh.

I certainly wouldn't go anywhere near this far if it was my only car or used predominantly on the road as its now such hard work.
davyboy

Post by davyboy »

skinthespin wrote:just paying attention to detail and chipping away at the weight is the way to do it, stuff like removing engine hoist brackets, and bits that are less obvious.

I have one of the rear hubs removed at the moment

:shock: 8-[ :cyclops:

That is attention to detail... :D

Whareabouts in derbyshire are you matey...?
steve b

Post by steve b »

Thats got to have no fuel in it, 1000kg no way, unless you drain all fluids.

Had my MX5 weighed yesterday post simply fitting a half cage & turbo kit, went from 960kg 100% brimmed all fluids to 1020kg, 100% full brimmed fluids. Car has had sound deadening, electric windows, aerial etc dumped, 15" OZ alloys, standard has aluminuim bonnet, no metal roof etc.

Patricks n/a tintop totally stripped race cars ove 1000kg so it isn't happening with a turbo.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

It had all fluids and 1/4 tank of fuel, plus like I say big wheels, road tyres, all standard panels, no Cf or GRP with the exception of the mirrors and it was 1109kg.

It had only the drivers seat too, its a GTS coupe, so not a t-bar too.

another 100kg out of it and its a sub 1000kg car, pointless saying no way as the facts are there. I also must point out I didn't use some ratty old weigh bridge but £5k worth of scales from work, so its not like there could be a 10% error.

100kg is easily possible with GRP or carbon panels, smaller wheels and brakes, I even have the standard heavy plastic rear spoiler.

Patricks cars not only have a minimum weight limit but also 70kg worth of roll cage, I am sure he could make them much lighter if the regulations allowed.

I am not in Derbyshire anymore either btw, I have moved, am in Ibstock, leicestershire.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

How much fuel in the car mate? That's a good result, I was 1149 with almost 3/4 tank.
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

1/4 of a tank mate, I thought mine would be marginally lighter than yours, I have taken a lot more little bits off than you but you have mega light wheels and small brakes, hence all the stuff I said above about a 1000kg car.

when you picking your 675 up?
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

skinthespin wrote:1/4 of a tank mate, I thought mine would be marginally lighter than yours, I have taken a lot more little bits off than you but you have mega light wheels and small brakes, hence all the stuff I said above about a 1000kg car.

when you picking your 675 up?

Potentially tomorrow. If martin is in the office get him to check his email please.
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

he is actually, ill give him a prod.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Cheers mate, will give you a call later to let you know what's going on.
steve b

Post by steve b »

skinthespin wrote:1/4 of a tank mate,

Makes more sense, so really its nearer 1145kg wet.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

If you want to be that pedantic 3/4 of a tank = 29kg

So 1138.5 in total.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Now you have done the hard work do the easier parts the bonnet,engine cover,boot lid,mirrors must be worth over 25 kg's at least! Replaced with carbon or fibre glass take It all the way! 8)
steve b

Post by steve b »

skinthespin wrote:If you want to be that pedantic 3/4 of a tank = 29kg

So 1138.5 in total.

Hardly pedantic, more getting the full picture. Whenever people state weights its normally with a full tank, of course its going to look impressive if the tanks empty, i.e. really it means your cars hardly any different to Jons in the weight department (impressively light), but you made it look like its around 30/40kg lighter again.

Its very hard to loose that sort of weight out of a reasonably stripped car, if your already at the only 1 seat stage then the only real weight left is in the bonnet, panels and your big wheels.

The fuel consumpton of a tuned turbo won't be such that you turn up at a trackday with an almost empty tank, I remember my old tubby drinking 3/4 of a tank just in a morning session. Realistically you fill up in the morning and again at lunch.

Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Skinthespin, is there anywhere more acurate to weigh a car than a bridge at the local tip? 10% variation seems like an awfull lo when talking about these figures! Interested in what my fatty comes in at before it gets stripped properly...

The tubby engine lid and boot lid, are the only panels I can realistically change (I have a fear of carbon doors for some reason) but am still running with all the bits you mentioned, and a full interior/aircon etc.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Greddy-Matt wrote:Skinthespin, is there anywhere more acurate to weigh a car than a bridge at the local tip? 10% variation seems like an awfull lo when talking about these figures! Interested in what my fatty comes in at before it gets stripped properly...

The tubby engine lid and boot lid, are the only panels I can realistically change (I have a fear of carbon doors for some reason) but am still running with all the bits you mentioned, and a full interior/aircon etc.

Tony at Wim has corner weights now if you fancy a run up to london...
Simarshy

Post by Simarshy »

Very nice ;)

I've done some of the above mentioned and the car weighted in approximately 1114kg without fuel (Using rogue's Corners Scales).

I'd say there is another 40-50kg to come out but you'd have to remove the heating system and the dash.

Talking about weights I believe the turbo that runs or ran in the nurburg 24 hour was under a ton but then again £70,000 has been spent on the car.

TBH on only way to really make a light weight mr2 would be to start from a shell upwards, in which case given the time and effort starting with a mk3 mr2 or elise would be the way to go.

Si

Return to “Modifications”