[All] [Generic] What's most important: Asymmetric tyres, Directional tyres, or b

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lunarmatic

[All] [Generic] What's most important: Asymmetric tyres, Directional tyres, or b

Post by Lunarmatic »

Ok, so I found the description below on the web and was wondering (mostly for a mk1 but I suspect it applies just as well to a mk2) what order of importance you'd apply to these tyre types. i.e. if you're buying tyre which is the most important consideration?

Asymmetric only
Directional only
Both asymmetic and directional

Any opinions? I'm assuming symmetric tyres are a no-no for a sports car anyway so am ignoring them.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/directional-and-asymmetric-tyres.html wrote:Directional and asymmetric tyres

Standard car tyres have a symmetrical tread pattern which is the same across the whole width of the tyre. The tread pattern on an asymmetric car tyre changes across the tread as different parts of that tread are adapted for particular functions.

The outside edge consists of large stiffer tread blocks which help with cornering. The inner tread blocks are smaller and designed to shift water and improve wet grip. In addition, the middle of the tread usually has a continuous rib to help straight line stability.

Asymmetrics must be fitted the right way round on the wheel to benefit from the tread block arrangement – the sidewalls are always marked.

Directional car tyres usually have a chevron or arrow pattern in the tread and are designed to work in a specific direction of rotation. Key benefits are:

* better dispersal of water which builds up in front of the tyre
* reduced road noise
* improved directional stability.

Directional tyres need to rotate in the correct direction – clearly marked on the sidewall of the tyre.

If fitted the wrong way round, the tyre won't be dangerous, but you won't gain any of the benefits of a directional tyre.

Incorrect fitting of both asymmetric and directional tyres is a reason for MOT failure too

Some very high performance cars have directional and asymmetric tyres – these have to be fitted the right way round on the wheel and on the correct side of the vehicle.
tommy-c

Re: [All] [Generic] What's most important: Asymmetric tyres, Directional tyres, or b

Post by tommy-c »

Never really thought about it myself tbh

Some very high performance cars have directional and asymmetric tyres – these have to be fitted the right way round on the wheel and on the correct side of the vehicle.

I remember when i did a bit of work experience a honda nsx came in for tyres which were specially ordered and designed for the car and each tyre had to go on a specific wheel.

Have asymmetric on mine at the moment actually :whistle:
C50

Re: [All] [Generic] What's most important: Asymmetric tyres, Directional tyres, or b

Post by C50 »

i run assymetrical yoko A539s on the rear whislt rotational/ directional on the fronts.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

definitely b :lol:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Only use 'directional' Falken 452 on the Altezza daily car and also the MR 2 Turbo. :) Very excellent!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”