[All] [Generic] The modifying scene in decline?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RichardPON

Re: [All] [Generic] The modifying scene in decline?

Post by RichardPON »

Lauren wrote:If anything though its getting easier to mod a car. I can buy a chip for my panda diesel and get another 20bhp for not a lot of outlay.

Having extensively modified a number of cars myself however, I have come to the conclusion that modifying a car is generally not worth it. If you want a faster, better peforming car, then buy a faster/better performing car rather than modify the car you've got in an effort to achieve it.

That said there is loads of fun in a project car, something you can spend hours working on making it into the car you want it to be. I'd love to do this with an AE86.

Part of the reason for us buying the integra was simply because it does not need any mods (well apart from the big brake conversion that was on it when we bought it), its fab straight out of the box. We even run OEM tyres because the balance is so good.

As my partner Mark says:

http://www.mr2.net/standardisbetter.html

Couldn't agree more.

I think it's called growing up.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Mmmm, interesting debate. For me the mods market will always exist so long as the car market exists. Why? Because there will always be people like me who want their car to be as individual as they can make it or at least as close to their own ideal as possible. Not necessarily better you understand but more THEIRS. Sure methods, tools and skills will change but that's true of any human endeavour.
Perhaps as some have already hinted we should really be debating if there is a future to motoring at all... since the days of the internal combustion engine are obviously numbered.

R.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Lauren wrote:As my partner Mark says:

http://www.mr2.net/standardisbetter.html

Is that a joke? :-k

I modified my Mk1 BECAUSE it broke, the suspension was shagged (amongst other things) and replacement with Toyota parts was going to cost £1500 before labour. ](*,)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Limeymk1 wrote:
Is that a joke? :-k

I modified my Mk1 BECAUSE it broke, the suspension was shagged (amongst other things) and replacement with Toyota parts was going to cost £1500 before labour. ](*,)

I'm deadly serious. Thing is it makes perfect sense to put aftermarket suspension on a mk1 given the cost of OEM equipment. Nobody can argue with that.

But, yeah the link was mark's bit of fun. :tongue:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Harry

Post by Harry »

rob shipp wrote:Perhaps as some have already hinted we should really be debating if there is a future to motoring at all... since the days of the internal combustion engine are obviously numbered. R.

If they were not making the wealth they do off the fuel from combustion engines,they would have been out of circulation at least 15-10 years ago.

As mentioned an older car has worn shocks you replace them with the modern current version so call this particular mod a refinement Improvement upgrade.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”