[Mk2] [Turbo] I want some flutter!!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

lukem

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] I want some flutter!!

Post by lukem »

keep.....
sell!
keep.....
sell!
etc.
repeat ad infinitum
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:isnt it suposed to be bad for the turbo the fluttering noise (Pressure going back against the turbo instead of out the bov)?

No
dale mr2

Post by dale mr2 »

That is the biggest debate about the fluttering isn't it.

I personally dont know what to believe so i will try and do it as safe as possible. :thumleft:
JAP BOY

Post by JAP BOY »

:o OOOK i was of the opinion MR2s didn't flutter till i went out in a members on IMOCs car the noise in my veiw was absolutely imense he just had a induction kit with stock BOV :)
Azz

Post by Azz »

Isnt Flutter called Compresor Surge in the real world, or "you going to break your turbo if you carry on" in our world?

Mine did it once with the Standard Recirc on, so i swapped out to the HKS SSQV, performs perfectly,

Why are you fitting your car out for other people? if you want flutter my guess is you are going to do it every time you pass someone, or a group, and you are gunna be on and off the gas, and you will break your engine in no time,

Forget the flutter and have a nice car instead
Antstarr

Post by Antstarr »

Mine flutters....but I have a boost leak at the moment. lol
Watashi wa Ant desu, BAKA!!!
RichardPON

Post by RichardPON »

Spittinflames wrote:
Steve-O 2007 wrote:isnt it suposed to be bad for the turbo the fluttering noise (Pressure going back against the turbo instead of out the bov)?

No

Yes.

Entirely depends on the turbo and the level of boost run though.

20 psi on a Garrett T34 and it'll be fine.

2.5 bar on a GT35 and it'll fall apart.
TubbyTwo

Post by TubbyTwo »

The HKS SSQV flutters quite nicely at lower revs.

:thumleft:
2003 Leon Cupra R, stage 2 Jabbasport remap to 280bhp

MR2 now sold :(
steve b

Post by steve b »

RichLee wrote:Well flutter is usually down to a faulty bov not opening correctly causing turbo stall.

I dont think there is a bov on the market that gives a flutter unless faulty.

I may be wrong though 8)

Flutter is cause by air going back out the turbo, I get a tiny bit of flutter as I find it preferable to the chav whoosh, so I only have it operate over 5 psi that way driving round normally i.e. changing gear with only 3 or 4 psi then it doesn't operate, no whoosh, bit of low load flutter. Drive a bit harder boost over 5 psi and it dumps air. I've a Forge filtered piston valve where you fit whatever spring you want that alters when it dumps. Harder the spring more pressure you need for it to dump, the more flutter you'll get.

I'd not want a ceramic turbo fluttering.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
fizz

Post by fizz »

If you really want that sound then turn that little white plastic thing the other way round and reconnect the pipes.. that will cause compressor surge and then you will have your noise coming off boost.. :-k
dale mr2

Post by dale mr2 »

fizz wrote:If you really want that sound then turn that little white plastic thing the other way round and reconnect the pipes.. that will cause compressor surge and then you will have your noise coming off boost.. :-k

I dont get what you mean fizz?

How can i get the flutter with my HKS SQV?
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

I really cant belive you guys [-X ](*,)

Your telling me you want compressor surge the "flutter" as you call it

Which does and will over prolonged use damage the turbo,

One of our educated members hit the nail on the head when he commented on stalling the turbo.

Compressor surge is the turbo getting two opposite forces acting in diffrent directions causing the shaft to twist substantially reduce the efficiency of the compressor and increase the structural loads on the aerofoils

For you wanting to induce this noise is absolutely amazing and mind boggling
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

Spittinflames wrote:

No

Yes Steve O your right Spittin is wrong :mrgreen: :thumleft:
rev3kid

Post by rev3kid »

TheSi wrote:The HKS SSQV flutters quite nicely at lower revs.

:thumleft:

here here :thumleft: :thumleft:
steve b

Post by steve b »

All relative mind, a steel turbo backing off at 5psi with no BOV at all, = fine indeed st185 celicas don't even have a bov fromthe toyota factory. A steel turbo at 2 bar, no BOV maybe an issue, a ceramic turbo no venting maybe a disaster at 1.3bar, I doubt anyones tested to destruction. Certainly I don't worry about a lack of venting on my steel turbo at 3 or 4 psi.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Stretchermunkey

Flutter

Post by Stretchermunkey »

Ok you all have me really worried now, I've got a rev 2 with rev 3 conversion, TD05 Turbo and Blitz Bov and get loads of flutter, I kinda liked it, are you telling me I'm going to Fook my Turbo
:cry:
Steve

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”