[Mk2] [NA] Tinny rattle help please

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

flackie666

[Mk2] [NA] Tinny rattle help please

Post by flackie666 »

so i just bought my first mr on the way home i stop at some traffic lights an hear this very loud tinny rattle it stops i think wen driving and while goin round right handers. also on my drive there is no rattle till the clutch is pushed down please help me
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Tinny rattle help please

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Exhaust heatsheildscan make quite a racket,but if it's related to the position of the clutch maybe it's the release bearing.
flackie666

Post by flackie666 »

ive reached around and tapped all the heat shealds no rattel there i think it does it at low revs wen the engine is underload
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Possibly just a resonance thing when the clutch is pushed in...

If its a tinny rattle then check all exhaust bolts, cat temp sensor etc - basically everything along the length of the exhaust, flexi, and cat (or decat).
DB1

Post by DB1 »

hia, may be of use.
mine rattles at about 1800 revs, and just as im slowing down towards junctions (again about 1800 - 2000 revs) i found the problem, it was the manifold to cat pipe covers. it has two nuts which stick out towards the bulkhead/firewall at the top of the pipe.
i removed the plate and cut the nuts off it ( :( ) also removing the upright lower plate from the cat/lower pipe area.

this has cured my rattle although does leave a nasty manifold on show.
hope this cures your friends.
flackie666

Post by flackie666 »

ok sorted therse a flat metal plate i think on the side of the clutch int the middle of the car under the engine previous owner must have hit something hard as this was bent in slightly so after 10 mins with a big screw driver its all sorted thats no new clutch for me :clap: :clap:

Return to “Mechanical”