Newbie here !! wanting a mk1 also ! :)

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

xchipx

Newbie here !! wanting a mk1 also ! :)

Post by xchipx »

Hi all !
Just thought id introduce myselfseems a pretty good forum - almost missed it !!

Name : Mark
is a : wheel alignment tech
drives : nothing. i NEED a mk 1 !!!

So yeah story goes, ive just suddenly gained an interest in mk1 mr2's , and have just come into some money - so 1+1 = mr2 ...am after one of these beasties :)
Anyone got one with a reasonable body?
Yes i know this could do with going in a " wanted " section etc - but its more of an intro !!!
Anyways get in touch y'all

:)
alfiembra

Re: Newbie here !! wanting a mk1 also ! :)

Post by alfiembra »

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum, it's a really friendly place and a lot of very knowledgable and helpful people on here will be able to sort you out if you have any questions. What sort of budget do you have and how much work are you looking to do yourself. If you are looking for a totaly sorted and running model then expect to pay anything from £1-£2k. Anything from £300 upwards will get you a runner but will need work.

Have been thinking about selling mine recently and starting a new project so would put myself in the sorted group, are you prepared to travel to get one too?

Alan
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

More importantly do you do full 4 wheel alignment and what are your costs? :thumleft:

ps.welcome to imoc, what kind of budget do you have, are you looking for a good example with no rust or just a cheap runner for the summer.
PJ3074

Post by PJ3074 »

Hi Mark....welcome to joys of MK1 ownership and the pains (i.e. bodywork)

If you're looking to buy something nice with little work then you need to be spending £2k easy. If you have budget in this area then have a look on http://www.mr2mk1club.com as well as For Sale on IMOC.

There's some nice cars on here at the minute that you can just buy and enjoy it for this summer!

If you are a total newbie to MK1s then I suggest you ask seeing if someone from IMOC in your area would come with you to look one over with you...like you said, this is a friendly helpful forum.

Me on the other hand, bought a good car for £500 but needs work, so I will spend another £1500 but then I get to do what I want to the car and have a nice result...although won't be ready till 2009... :-k

Have a good trawl through the pages for lots of help :thumleft:
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Hiya

welcome to the Club :thumleft:

(As mentioned: put a wanted ad in the wanted section please)

Once you get your MK1 you will find loads of useful info on here.

for finding them try the usual places:
mr2mk1club site
ebay
autotrader
pistonheads
mr2dc
mr2oc
PJ3074

Post by PJ3074 »

Here's two really nice cars up for sale on Piston Heads :thumleft:

Red MK1b Coupe
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/397207.htm

Silver MK1a Coupe (rare colour too)
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/499886.htm
xchipx

Post by xchipx »

Hi !
Thankyou all for your replies and all those who PM'ed me also.
What i forgot to mention in my first post is that im after a coupe ! And after the mk1b ! Sorry about that !
Already i realise how friendly this forum appears to be - forums in the past for me were a case of post....wait... wait 5 days.... bump maybe.... then maybe get a reply ... lol :lol:
Anyway to reply to each of you in turn :)
Alfiembra , Hi .... I dont intend to spend more than £1500 nor do i wish to travel more than say 50 miles unless i am absolutely sure it will be a minter. I also dont want a t top !
Your first point will be : you cant be picky , i know i know , but i can try ! :)

Un1eash Yes i do do 4 wheel ( laser ) alignment where i work , however i intend to leave in a few weeks as i am planning on starting my own garage. Looking for a non rusty runner, budget - see above.

PJ3074 Hi ! Thankyou for the advice mate - appreciated. Looked at those two your provided - They look alright , however the 1st isnt an mk1b and the second one is higher than my budget will allow.
Got any piccies of yours ?

mr2mk1chick Hey , thanks - having a look at those websites now - had only really been looking on ebay and autotrader ! Oh and wow ! Is that your tango mr2 ? Funny thing is ive had a piccie of that car on my comp for years. And i wondered where it was from !!!

Regards all of ya :)
Mark[/b]
madman2

mr2

Post by madman2 »

i have red mk1b f reg very good condition its a t bar one previous owner and full service history. mileage 99,600 just been motd but no road tax, bit rust on lower front passenger wing and small scab on roof near windscreen.
xchipx

Post by xchipx »

Hiya madman not after a t top sorry !!!

Hey heres a question.
Is it me or has the janspeed system been discontinued?
and also is there a non sunroof, non t bar model ( so a hard top ) available over here ?
PJ3074

Post by PJ3074 »

Funny you should say...just been looking on Janspeed site for RAM Air Filters and they are not showing a listing for the AW-11 any more, so could be discontinued....google search to see if any old stock lurking elsewhere.

Did see this beast on ebay but its local pick up only and in Kent

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MR2-mk1-AW11-stai ... dZViewItem

Worth a look though!
alfiembra

Post by alfiembra »

Good luck with your search and take your time, look at as many different examples as you can and get familiar with the problem areas, good buyers guide available online by Nick Chaloner.

Does anyone know Nick does he visit here at all?

http://www.challoner.com/mr2/tech/mk1bg.html

Alan
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

I've conversed with Nick in the past, well, I think we had some kind of heated debate somewhere about the pros and cons of the ashtray design on mk1a vs mk1b, me being a strict mk1b fanatic and him insisting the ashtray was better designed on the mk1a as they don't seem to snap off as much (which is true but my ashtrays have been perfect in both my mk1bs but then I don't smoke and never touch them).

yes, really important stuff like that. :mrgreen: :clap:
PJ3074

Post by PJ3074 »

Sharpfish wrote:I've conversed with Nick in the past, well, I think we had some kind of heated debate somewhere about the pros and cons of the ashtray design on mk1a vs mk1b, me being a strict mk1b fanatic and him insisting the ashtray was better designed on the mk1a as they don't seem to snap off as much (which is true but my ashtrays have been perfect in both my mk1bs but then I don't smoke and never touch them).

yes, really important stuff like that. :mrgreen: :clap:

I have a MK1b and my ash tray is fooked! Its sin on OK, but if you were to try and use it the whole thing just falls out....can you get new replacements other than Toyota's...MK1 Sir...He has a MK1 Kenneth, Oh Really Sir....Thats going to be a lot of money Sir.....OOOHH do you want it Sir...Do You? I think he does Kenneth...OOOOHHHH

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”