MR2 REV3 Turbo Vs Mitsubishi Evo FQ 300

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

dbiagioni

MR2 REV3 Turbo Vs Mitsubishi Evo FQ 300

Post by dbiagioni »

Raced my friends yellow 52 plate Mitsubish Evo 7 fq300 today

I was amazed to pull away for him, and even more amazed that he lost more traction than me off the mark and when changing gears.
I just checked the stats on them and they are 0 to 60 in 4.9, at a guess i thought my car was around 5 seconds to 60 and i claim my power to be 300, (rev3 running 1.3bar with ALL supporting mods)

Anyone had similar experiences, (this was an off road race on the local airports runway)

All he said about it afterwards was 'i didnt expect that!'
Draven

Re: MR2 REV3 Turbo Vs Mitsubishi Evo FQ 300

Post by Draven »

The mr2 has fantastic traction off the line due to the engine placement. plus the mitzi is 4wd which creates a loss of power to the wheels. Also it really depends on who is driving each of the the cars.

Straight line isn't a real race anyway you need to throw some corners in there and you'd be lost in the rear view mirror.
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

Draven wrote:

Straight line isn't a real race anyway .

what is it then ?

Draven wrote:throw some corners in there and you'd be lost in the rear view mirror.

like you said earlier, depends on the driver
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I would think the Evo would be quite a bit heavier being a larger car with all that 4wd gadgetry in it.

TBH, I would rather have one of those. Yours is tuned TO 300hp. His is that from the start.

Hmm, 400bhp Evo. Bet that'll go some.
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

I had a play with one of these on my way home last week. (on the private runway at the bottom of my garden.)

He pulled away slightly but there wasn't much in it. My car is stock standard other than an exhaust and filter. Also I had the roof off which creates some drag at high speeds I suppose.

As Draven says however, on the twisties it would be game over man!
dbiagioni

Mr2 Vs FQ300

Post by dbiagioni »

I would call straight line a drag a race, maybe not a skilled race, but a race none the less. Anyway im no drift king so i tend to go easy round the corners :thumleft: I like my mr2 just the way it is, and they look pretty ugly bumped.

Random you say about the t-bars being off slowing the car down.... Do you really think they would make that much of a difference.

Maybe if you took them off and left them at home, the weight you save would make up for the extra drag. :-k

The FQ is a great car, and if i was into fast family cars i would seriously consider buying one, but i have no intention of getting the mrs pregnant or starting a family in the near future.
PJ3074

Post by PJ3074 »

James Junior wrote:I had a play with one of these on my way home last week. (on the private runway at the bottom of my garden.)

Well funny :lol: :lol:

The other thing with the FQ-range is that getting the gearchanges right is all crucial due to the spin up time of the turbo...for sure handling of these will trample any MR2 in the bends.....Did any of you see that episode of TG where JC was in the FQ pulling away from 30 in 5th to be beaten by a Fiat Hire Car doing the same thing as it took a year for the turbo to spin up? That was funny :D
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

It was actually 6th gear at 30mph.

You'd have to have a V8 with 500lb of torque @ 2k revs to move. It was a silly and unfair test.

You just wouldnt do it either, would you attempt to pull away in a tubby at 30mph in 5th?
Mine is a standard CT20 turbo and it lags.

What they should have done is 60mph in 6th then pulled away!
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

at 60 mph in top, the test would have suited the FQ more than the little fiat though, so would still have been unfair. hell, the little fiat would have been lucky to accelerate at all after 60 !
James Junior

Re: Mr2 Vs FQ300

Post by James Junior »

dbiagioni wrote:
Random you say about the t-bars being off slowing the car down.... Do you really think they would make that much of a difference.

Maybe if you took them off and left them at home, the weight you save would make up for the extra drag. :-k

I'm no engineer but at those sort of speeds I would imagine having the T-bars off would be quite detrimental due to the lack of aerodyanamics.

All of my cars have always felt slower when I have the T bars off...

Return to “Driving Experiences”