cambelt

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

welshboyo

cambelt

Post by welshboyo »

just bought a mr2 twin entry import. it has done 51,000 miles. would it be advisable to change my cambelt now or at 60,000 miles, as i do not know any information on the car as it is an import. :?
JohnnyC

Re: cambelt

Post by JohnnyC »

Cambelt should be changed around 60K miles (or 62K or 63K I can't remember #-o ) OR 5 years - whichever comes sooner.

If you haven't got a sticker on your cambelt cover or in your service book then I'd get it done to be on the safe side (even if it is a non-interference engine).
raptor95GTS

Re: cambelt

Post by raptor95GTS »

welshboyo wrote:just bought a mr2 twin entry import. it has done 51,000 miles. would it be advisable to change my cambelt now or at 60,000 miles, as i do not know any information on the car as it is an import. :?

welcome to the club mate :D

Firstly johnny c is correct for the mileage 100,000 km = 62,500 miles and I reckon for the time period too and defo for the non interference engine. Ie if the belt snaps the engine will not self destruct

However, if the belt snaps how likely do you think it will be to do so on a hot summer day outside the best garage in town. more likely it will break in a thunderstorm in the middle of nowhere and you are already late :(

Budget £360 and get it changed soon as, peace of mind will follow for many miles

Return to “Mechanical”