Scratched Windscreen........

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SwissHeavy

Scratched Windscreen........

Post by SwissHeavy »

Hi guys, my screen is getting really scratched by the wipers (to the point that it will need polishing) but I really don't think they are worn out, what could it be?
Dale_V

Re: Scratched Windscreen........

Post by Dale_V »

sounds like grit is between the 2 surfaces :? , thats all it can be.
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

If your screen is old it may be pitted as well as scratched. Thus all the gunk from using the car will get trapped in these areas on your screen.
Clean your wiper blades or change them.
Thoroughly wash your screen and apply a screen polish, and keep repeating if it still catches the gunk....if after say half a dozen attempts it does not improve I can only suggest a new screen... :-k
SwissHeavy

Post by SwissHeavy »

Hmm cheers guys, I will get onto new blades 2moro, what kinda price are they and can I get them from anywhere e.g. Kwik Fit?

Here are the blades up close:

They are big scratch marks in the way the wipers sweep across the screen, I can never hear the scraping but I'm assuming it's the plastic bits that hold the rubber on, as they line up with the marks! What a pain!! #-o
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

Get the Bosch wipers from halfords... about £15
SwissHeavy

Post by SwissHeavy »

Cheers fella, ur always a massive help! 8)
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

SwissHeavy wrote:Cheers fella, ur always a massive help! 8)

no problem, also make sure you get the right fitting ... I believe theres 2 different types for the MR2 :wink:
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

On the subject of scratched windscreens... I've managed to scratch the passenger side - i nice arc where the 2 metal strips decided to poke out of the end of the blade housing...

my question.. can the scratch be polished out ?... also got a stone chip (very very small) right in my eyeline (not enough to fail an MOT) can they both be done ?

thanks..
SwissHeavy

Post by SwissHeavy »

Yeah u should be able to mate, I know Autoglass do it (which is where I'll be going) and u can get polish kits.... from somewhere! lol
Rev2_mike

Post by Rev2_mike »

If your mr2 is an import - dont bother with halfords... When i went there i found out the bosch wipers have a different fitment - go for champion - they'll fit.
mr2daz

Post by mr2daz »

Rev2_mike wrote:If your mr2 is an import - dont bother with halfords... When i went there i found out the bosch wipers have a different fitment - go for champion - they'll fit.

Sure you got the right ones?

I got my Bosch wipers from Halfords. Off the top of my head I think drivers side was 20" (With spoiler) and the passenger side 18" for my mk2 Rev 3 import and there were no problems fitting them. Excellent wipers too, I didn't expect to notice any real difference compared to my old Toyota ones but they are truly excellent.

I haven't tried the champion ones though so couldn't comment on those. :)
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

CosmosblueMR2 wrote:On the subject of scratched windscreens... I've managed to scratch the passenger side - i nice arc where the 2 metal strips decided to poke out of the end of the blade housing...

my question.. can the scratch be polished out ?... also got a stone chip (very very small) right in my eyeline (not enough to fail an MOT) can they both be done ?

thanks..

When they repair a scratch get them to polish the screen too... :lol:
Chipsaway cando windscreen repairs and polishing....see which is cheaper. Chipsaway can come to whereever you are beit work/ home etc etc...as can Autoglass but they might charge more if you dont go to their depot...
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

Dont need replacement blades, go to toyota and just get em to fit the rubber strips,bit expensive £10 for 2. that includes someone to do it as well lol...false economy otherwise.

I have a pitted windscreen now :( gritters...
Alex_Dunn

Post by Alex_Dunn »

i got toyota to do mine change blades and labour to do them for 16 quid easy alson got thierr cheak and 4 cups of coffee
sadako

Post by sadako »

What is this screen polish of which you speak? I have lots of little scratches on my screen all over it. I can see out of it fine but it can get a little bad in low sunlight. Might be something i can use instead of replacing the screen
SwissHeavy

Post by SwissHeavy »

Just to update u fellas, u can't polish the screen, not professionally, because it can weaken the glass as it takes a layer off.....

So a quote for windscreen fitted from autoglass - £450, wtf!

Auto Windscreens - £150, now that's more like it!

Josh

P.S Autoglym do a glass polish Sadako.... though how good it is I don't know....
uglee

Post by uglee »

SwissHeavy wrote:Just to update u fellas, u can't polish the screen, not professionally, because it can weaken the glass as it takes a layer off.....

You sure? :?
It's just that you can polish out scratches on fighter aircraft canopy's without a problem. And they operate in slightly different conditions to car windscreens!?!?

If it isn't a deep scratch, less than .010" I hardly see you removing any strength from it! Any deeper than that and you would be polishing forever anyway.

So get the micromesh out and give it a go!! :D

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”