[Mk2] [Generic] caliper nuts off, free`d all pistons yet a slight bind still

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nitric4k

[Mk2] [Generic] caliper nuts off, free`d all pistons yet a slight bind still

Post by nitric4k »

ok im having a nightmare with my caliper now ive rounded the nut ya undo to get it swing up whats the best way of getting it off without drilling?

ok cheers guys below for pointing me in the right direction managed get the nut off today free`d everything i can see yet my brakes still binding slightly as the wheels getting warm is it normal after fitting pads and discs?

brakes work fine handbrake works fine on the wheel

any ideas? :(
Last edited by nitric4k on Sat May 31, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JOHNM400

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] caliper nuts off, free`d all pistons yet a slight bind still

Post by JOHNM400 »

Snap on make a tool for removing rounded nuts and studs. Before buying one try a brand new pair of mole grips as tight on the head as you can. If that doesnt work then try to grind some flats on the rounded bit and try again with the moles grips. Another alternative is weld a nut onto the rounded head and use that nut to undo it then replace the bolt.
nitric4k

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] caliper nuts off, free`d all pistons yet a slight bind still

Post by nitric4k »

cheers matey :)

anyone know any other methods?

does anyone know the bolt size of the top of there heads so i can get a replacment if i do get it off
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

You could weld a nut onto the back of the rounded off one - just a tack then use spanners to remove
Chris
Mr Rapey Banana WILL get you...oh yes! :)
Sol

Post by Sol »

or just use a drimmel and saw a line then use a big flat head...all ways works for me :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
fearless

Post by fearless »

ive heard these are quite good for that :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... t-grip-set
peterc

Post by peterc »

these are brill next day del as well.these will remove any bolt. check sizes though.
nitric4k

Post by nitric4k »

updated first post can anyone advise
going4the1

Post by going4the1 »

The are two possibles:

(i) Have you fully lubricated the swing pin? The caliper need to be removed from the support bracket to do this properly. If The calipar cannot 'float' on this pin, the brakes can partially seize (particularly the outer pad).
See:
http://www.mr2turbo.info/pics/rearbrake.html

(7th photo)

(ii) The caliper piston may have seized

http://www.mr2turbo.info/pics/rearcaliper.html

Seal on the 5th photo will need replacing (otherwise a referbished caliper)
JOHNM400

Post by JOHNM400 »

Rob what lube did you use on the pistons and sliders?
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

I've been going through this recently- i've purchased some slide pin greese from Toyota because nowhere else seems to sell anything suitable. £20 for a 'large tube'
I had bodged it with copper slip, but that seemed to only last for a few weeks and then started sticking again.
I also picked up a new slide pin in case the problem was related to that.
mrmarc

Post by mrmarc »

ive recently had my back calipers refurbed and fitted new pads and discs and it was still binding.turned out i had to change the carrier.
works fine now.
worth checking
JOHNM400

Post by JOHNM400 »

Guys dont use anything other than proper rubber grease. If youve used wd40,ordinary grease,copper grease or anything other than proper rubber grease the chances are you will of killed the seals. It makes them expand/deform/go sticky.

If you need a lube to free them off use Silicone lube and then a proper silicone based rubber grease to re-assemble.
nitric4k

Post by nitric4k »

Silicone lube ive been using brought some from helfords and also used it fix my t-bar leaks :D

funny thing is its been sticking and sticking now its stopped on its own this week

been checking it every trip ands its been getting cooler and cooler and now my others warm up more than the one what was having the problem lol

dunno whats sorted it but its done itself :thumleft:

i will recomend the twos r us caliper winder for the sake of a tenner you guys its well worth spending :thumleft:
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

Well i've just disasembled my caliper from the carrier. The copper slip that i put on there as a quick fix 2 weeks ago because it was sticking had gone hard and very sticky.. not good!

Cleaned it up and put on the caliper grease i got from MRT, which is very heavy stuff.. reassembled and it was fine on a spirited drive, got both calipers warm and no sticking yet.

n.b. When i first reassembled it, taking off the handbrake didnt allow the disc to turn freely.. so i wound the piston in one turn which seemed to fix it.

Return to “Mechanical”