[Mk2] [Turbo] Help with putting MR2 back together!!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jonmurgie

[Mk2] [Turbo] Help with putting MR2 back together!!

Post by Jonmurgie »

Bit of a strange request but here goes...

I'm looking for some (local) help in putting our MR2 Turbo engine back in the car with a little assembly

Basically, last year I pulled the motor out and had a full rebuild done on that but have lost momentum and generally can't quite remember where it all goes to put it back together and in the car! The engine is BUILT but needs all the ancillaries putting back on, pipe work etc. then putting back in the car and all related wiring/hosing put back together!

I have EVERYTHING needed to do this (about 90% of it is brand new stuff, inc. new turbo), but just can't find the enthusiasm. I'm a willing mechanic but need someone who knows these things inside out to just make sure everything goes back where it should!

Before any suggests, I can't take the car to a "garage" as it's on axel stands on my driveway so looking for some friendly local(ish) chap who knows a thing or two about the MR2 Turbo to help out in exchange for whatever is necessary!

I'll take some snaps of it all tonight/tomorrow to post up and see if anyone would be able to help!

Any questions or indeed offers of help please PM me :)

Oh, am located in Cheltenham, Glos.

Cheers
Jon
Jonmurgie

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Help with putting MR2 back together!!

Post by Jonmurgie »

Few pictures of the garage... it's all there ready and waiting!!

Jonmurgie

Post by Jonmurgie »

Still looking for someone to help me get our car back together if anyone fancies it... \:D/
alan mc

Post by alan mc »

Is that a 205 gti 16 lurking in the background? Brilliant car and I wish I'd never got rid of mine........... :eye:
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

shame you're not nearer Surrey...

but I reckon 3 days off work with good weather will get that back together, assumming the engine is timed correctly.

there's loads of diagrams on the BGB as well as the EPC to show how things go together.

I recall the fiddly bit was re-doing all the coolant pipes around the water outlet and turbo, as well as playing "guess that connector".

but I'd left most bolts in place so I had a good idea of what went where.

Ian
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

Just another opinion, but surely it'll be quicker (though unfortunately not cheaper) to trailer the car somewhere like Rogue or 3S and get them to put it back together?

No disrespect to anyone on here, but at least that way you'll have someone who's doing this sorta thing regularly making sure everything goes back exactly as it should.

Obviously better if you can get an experienced IMOC member to do it for beer tokens, but this seems to have gone on a while now.

Best of luck with it anyway - I bet you can't wait to turn the key that first time!
Jonmurgie

Post by Jonmurgie »

That looks like what will happen, am talking with both Rouge and 3S today in fact!

Cheers
Jon
DNOS808

MR2 reassembly

Post by DNOS808 »

Hi
I live in Gloucester and am fairly handy with the spanners. I have never changed an engine on a MR2 but I could possibly help at the weekends (work permitting). I could also bring my rev2 turbo along to use for reference.
Regards
Andrew

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”