[Mk2] [Turbo] Gearbox oil for a TRD diff

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TheRoadWarrior

[Mk2] [Turbo] Gearbox oil for a TRD diff

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

Going to be fitting a new (50kmile) transmission with a TRD differential soon.. and i'm wondering what gearbox oil i should use.

Now i know that Redline MT90 is a popular choice: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1020-redlin ... 0-gl4.aspx

Looking at the spec MT90 is only GL4 where as other redline products are GL5: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1016-redlin ... 0-gl5.aspx , so what makes MT90 so good? Is it just that people run it and dont have problems?

Also would i need a friction modifier for the TRD diff as its a plate type diff? Or is it a case of try it, and if its clunking/chattering a lot- put some in?
Harry

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Gearbox oil for a TRD diff

Post by Harry »

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=96871
My TRD unit fitted Is:- 41301-SW 2 11 92/93>>> Clutch~type

Here Is link with cross reference Information TRD lsd. My TRD lsd part number reference above Is smooth as silk and Is a clutch type no clunking although Nathan's does.Rogue Motorsport fitted the product you linked above:-MT-90 but can not recall which number 4 or 5?

Yes I add Lucas and have done for years:-to both my engine oil ester based fully synthetic and gearbox fluid MT-90 Redline. Hth. Oilman will confirm for you though.Apparently the OEM lsd Is fluid based?
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

Great links, thanks Harry. I'll talk to Opie oils, and see what they say.
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

Well guy at opie oils reccomends redline MT90. Says you need 3 quarts to fill. I'll give it a go and see how i get on without any friction modifier..
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Interesting.... Opie oils sponsor my car and im not running MT90 - have you made clear to guy that its an LSD and the diff uses the same oil as the box.

Im using silkolene...

dont use friction modifier, it lessens the effect of the diff.

Regards,

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

Nathan, thanks for the info. I told him the following;

MR2 Turbo
TRD diff
Heard that MT90 was recomended, but wasnt sure what was best

He said that as the diff is in the box on an mr2 it would be designed to work with gearbox oil.

Hope he's not wrong because i've just bought £40 of the stuff...

Which silky are you using??
turbomax

Post by turbomax »

hi i have a trd diff earls old box. got it from andy when he had it. peter at sbits told me not to use these oils and use comma oil. i was going to speak to him and ask him what he told me to use 75/90 or engine oil or gearbox oil i forgot.
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

Nathan,
Spoke to Guy at opie oils again. Sounds like they are both (MT90 and silky) suitable for our gearboxes, the advantage that the silky has is that because it is also GL5 it can be used in front engine rear-wheel drive differential casings as well as gearboxes with differentials like on the MR2.

Turbomax- no doubt peter had some comma oil kicking around :-k

Return to “Mechanical”