[Mk2] [Turbo] Car feeling unstable at speed

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TubbyTTop

[Mk2] [Turbo] Car feeling unstable at speed

Post by TubbyTTop »

Hi, not had my MR2 long. I've noticed that when I'm doing over 60 mph (where its legal to do so) I get the feeling that even when I'm holging the steering straight the car front seems to be swaying side to side. It feels as though the wheels are turning.

I slowed down a bit and turned the steering right to left and then left to right fairly quickly. Each time I done this it felt that when I turn it quickly but slightly the car straigtens up even before I have staighted the wheel! It pretty un-nerving!

Sorry that me description is a bt wishy washy but does anyone have an idea of what might be up?

Thanks
Tasty

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Car feeling unstable at speed

Post by Tasty »

Hi TT , Ihad a very similar experience to you but mine was at about 100mph . The car felt like it was aquaplaning and I was almost <only almost mind you> willing to hit the armco rather than turn the steering . It was very unnerving indeed , believe it or not Ieven resorted to putting a bag of sand in the frunk . I went to Elites for 2 new tyres and happend to mention the steering problem whereupon I was advised to have the car 4 wheel alligned . That did the job . It was like driving a completly different car . But be warned TT , my son had his Mitsi Legnum done somewhere in Guilford and they naused it up and he had to come down to Elites , drives fine now . By the way I know Im talking them up but I dont work for Elite --honest . Hope this helps . Alan . :D :D :D
513BHP at the hubs
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

hehe

that thread title just about sums up my 4 years with my tubbie.

alignment every now and then as well as gradual replacement of the entire suspension system has helped, but there's no way this car feels as comfortable cruising at 3 figure speeds (shock horror, yes I have driven at 3 figure speeds) typical outer overtaking lane speeds as fw drive cars like Celicas, Golfs and Cavaliers.

At legal speeds however the MR2 is way ahead of these fairly average cars in handling and responsiveness terms, but once the motorway "fast lane" [sic] beckons I'm at the mercy of every minicab making its way to Heathrow, or BMW driving rep trying to eat his wild bean cafe breakfast...

Ian
TubbyTTop

Post by TubbyTTop »

hmmm, thanks for the responses. I will get the 4 wheels alignment sorted soon. But I'm worried that there is something else wrong with something like the steering rack. I guess I need to get it on to the ramps and see whats going on.
rookie-racer

Post by rookie-racer »

if alignment doesnt dortit th prime suspects are front bottom ball joints, inner track rod ends, outers arent as prone to go, or knackered bearings in the top mounts... each part in itself is not dear, the process of elimination if you are unlucky enough to need to do a few of them, can add up.

best of luck
going4the1

Post by going4the1 »

Return to “Mechanical”