[Mk2] [Turbo] Harmonic balancer.. balancing question

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RyanRs

[Mk2] [Turbo] Harmonic balancer.. balancing question

Post by RyanRs »

i have just slapped a load of hammerite brush on paint on my harmonic dampener as the thing looked pants...

Now it has set, and set thick, im wondering if the un-even weight of the paint could effect the balancing of the pulley?

will it definatly be ok? or should i chuck it in with the thinners and get the paint off? Btw, 'Should be ok's ' will not do, it needs to be perfect or not at all lol

Also, another question about the harmonic dampener.. Is there any proof that its actually needed in the 4 pot engines? wouldn't an aluminium one be sufficient? -but then again, lightening the pulley end would make the flywheel end heavy -couldn't this cause premature thrust bearing wear?

thanx

Ryan
Harry

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Harmonic balancer.. balancing question

Post by Harry »

Good question :-k
Last edited by Harry on Tue May 27, 2008 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

is the balancer not there to protect the crank from resonance? So I would guess it depends how long you want the engine to last.
steve b

Post by steve b »

I know in MX5 worlds Aluminium pullies without dampener = very early engine failure.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

try a search on the US OC, sure i've seen info about this on there.
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Ryan you know my thoughts on this.

As for off-setting the balance with paint, I would say yes, it will be off balance, and with the effort and finaces that have been pumped in so far, get the paint off. But then you'll have to be careful that the thinners doesn't perish the rubber insert, theus rendering the dampener, non dampening.

As for weight on one end of the crank to the other, I can't actually see this holding any water. Yeah the stock crank pulley is heavy, but not a touch on the stock flywheel and clutch assembly.

And as for early engine failure?? How early?? I've put 6000 miles on my engine. 3500 of which were in a week, so constant abuse isn't a problem. And I can't see it being a problem when it returns.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
steve b

Post by steve b »

Aluminim pullies lacking dampner on boosted mx5s, very early failure as in 5000miles of fitting the pully. People with same spec's bar one has aluminum pully, one doesn't , guy with stock engine is fine one with pully fails. Very well documented bottom end failure cause.

Could be totally different on a two, but the OP asked about 4 pots needing them, well some do.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
karammander

Post by karammander »

the stock crank and flywhel were designed to use this pulley, obviously if your rebuilding and get the whole assembley balanced with a alloy pulley or even a painted one then that should be fine.

cheers karam
TUBBY-DEUCE

Post by TUBBY-DEUCE »

ive been reading up on this subject on different forums, all be it on various cars, but the subject always relates to power, the cars that are running alot more than stock power seem to fail earlier.
for example on the scooby forums the 450bhp mark and beyond seems to be a big no-no when installing lightened pully.

im finding it hard getting any info on this myself, but that seems to be the main problem ive found so far.
cantfindausername

Cars that are running higher than stock power are going to be a different beast to the normal engine. Tolerances will be tighter, stresses increased on component parts and so on. I think its going to be very difficult to say, yes, that was the pulley that caused that to fail.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
TUBBY-DEUCE

Post by TUBBY-DEUCE »

cantfindausername wrote:Cars that are running higher than stock power are going to be a different beast to the normal engine. Tolerances will be tighter, stresses increased on component parts and so on. I think its going to be very difficult to say, yes, that was the pulley that caused that to fail.

very true, and i did think that, but the posts ive read seem pretty coincidental that engine failure occured so soon after installing the pully.
as stated above by steve b on the mx5's :-k
cantfindausername

Was the pulley the only change made to the engine before destruction? If so, then there might be a case for it, but I think if its put on as part of a bigger build/project and taken into consideration with balancing etc, then it should be fine.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
redmr89

Post by redmr89 »

hi guys.. and yes i am aware this thread is old.

now dont say i dont use the search function..

im thinking of putting a light weight crank pulley on the car when i rebuild it. my thoughts are to reduce rotating mass (or watever its called.)

but after reading this thread im not too sure.

whats the current thoughts on this? anyone useing one?
cantfindausername

i've got one, as per above. Been on the engine since i built it. Seen about 8000 miles, half of which are european runs, so a good variety of usage. Car has since made 456hp and runs to 8400 rpm. I still stand by these as a good addition to a full build. Wouldn't rush out to get one as a stand alone mod tho.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
JJ

Post by JJ »

As Ants, aluminium - Unorthodox type... had it on since 2003, no bearing issues ! :thumleft:

I've killed a crank once - multiple stress cracks... due to turbo failure though... ](*,)
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

I think its a load of garbage, the balancer is matched to the crank from the factory, and ive mixed mine up loads, i had to smash my last one to pieces getting it off and just threw another one on there, never had bottom end failure.

People run the aluminium ones without any problems as stated too

I very much doubt paint would make a difference in any way

Graeme
dai21t

Post by dai21t »

I've got an unorthodox aluminium pulley on mine, seems ok so far.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

I wonder how much Toyota would want for a new one....
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

About £170 I reckon from toyodiy prices :)
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
cantfindausername

I paid about £90 for a new one from Toyota back in 2002.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”