[Mk2] [Generic] Cannot remove wheel studs from hubs

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

lukem

[Mk2] [Generic] Cannot remove wheel studs from hubs

Post by lukem »

Tried everything today including the big hammer approach as suggested on other threads..is the only option a professional press? or will heating help? what is safe - could a blow torch burn away bearing grease? anything else i can use?

cheers all.
greeny

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Cannot remove wheel studs from hubs

Post by greeny »

I did all my rears this weekend, just gave them a good solid hit with a lump hammer and they popped right out,

A lump hammer will suffice, what hammer you using a 2lb?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

I know when mine were done we just used a big hammer and they popped out fast enough lol
fearless

Post by fearless »

you could try heating them up but like said you really have to hit them as thay are on a spline :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

+1 for the lump hammer, works everytime
peterc

Post by peterc »

put on socket and wrench if its a cheap one try a lever..then get a lump of scaffold pole ( great piece of kit)about 2 to 6 ft long slide it over your soket /lever handle and gently put your weight on .it produces enough leverage to lift a small house job done spray first with wd 40
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

peterc wrote:put on socket and wrench if its a cheap one try a lever..then get a lump of scaffold pole ( great piece of kit)about 2 to 6 ft long slide it over your soket /lever handle and gently put your weight on .it produces enough leverage to lift a small house job done spray first with wd 40

its not a twist force you need it's a straight on punch it out the back force you need. Sorry if I've misread your instructions...
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Often putting a wheel nut on nearly all the way and smacking that helps. Maybe use a spare incase you damage the threads.
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

allan welsh wrote:
peterc wrote:put on socket and wrench if its a cheap one try a lever..then get a lump of scaffold pole ( great piece of kit)about 2 to 6 ft long slide it over your soket /lever handle and gently put your weight on .it produces enough leverage to lift a small house job done spray first with wd 40

its not a twist force you need it's a straight on punch it out the back force you need. Sorry if I've misread your instructions...

+1 Its a square on whack it needs twisting wont do anything there 100% splined and interferance fit
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

I had to use a Limeymk1 to get my wheel nuts replaced. :clown:

Spray shed loads of WD40 on them and then use a Heat gun on the hub, give them a decent whack and they should come loose. (although I don't think we used the heat in the end as Chris was against it)

we found that we had to use a wheel nut to manage to pull them back in again, we just cut the head off of a ring spanner to give us that extra bit of lenght. I'll see if I still have it and can post it up to you if you want :thumleft: and then used a jack handle against the floor to stop the wheel turning and a braker bar to tighten the nut. (You can only do 1 at a time like this otherwise you have nothing to hold the wheel in place with the brakes off)

HTH a lil bit

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
lukem

Post by lukem »

thanks all for input. am having another go on saturday with my father-in-law using advice given.
thanks loads stuart for offer, will let you know how we get on on saturday, my father-in-law is a machinist and claims he will be able to make anything necessary! that remains to be seen..!
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

2 jaw puller, the lump hammer approach won't do your wheel bearings any favours.
lukem

Post by lukem »

all done yesterday. spent an hour using an elaborate home made clamp to get the FR LH studs out then just hit the FR RH with a copper hammer instead. as everyone has said, popped right out after max of 4 hits.

i obviously wasn't using a good enough hammer first time round (£3 wilko's claw hammer!).

if anyone else tries this, i can't agree enough with how vital it is to file off some of the frets on the new studs if they are the same as the ones i bought. new studs were 5 thou larger diameter frets than the old and would have taken huge force to get in.
-:[KM]:-

Post by -:[KM]:- »

skinthespin wrote:the lump hammer approach won't do your wheel bearings any favours.

Yup... I used a ball-joint splitter on mine. Came out easy as 'owt..

I was thinking of the bearings and the hubs too..

Return to “Mechanical”