New owner

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

Re: New owner

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

hey, i was only 20 when i bought my first mk1a, now im 23 on my second which is a mk1b :D

All my work colleagues, think it looks nasty, saying its too square. They no nothing lol
Blue1984

Post by Blue1984 »

I'm 23 and just got our first MR2 (altho my man is a bit older than me), I love the classic cars - just got to appreciate that with the age comes more 'work' (but I use that word loosely) and TLC than there can be with others.

By the way - if you have room for another at any Colchester area meets I might well be up for it too if that's ok of course.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

ive always wanted to go to southend for a mk1 meet, but no1 is really interested. not a huge gathering, just a few of us.
galea360

Post by galea360 »

im only 24 and just bought a C reg mark one so its nearly as old as me being a 85 and i was born in 84 and i love the shape. its retro cool. the dash is cool the look is cool and the ride is brill. I LOVE THE fact there is no PAS I have owned a lot of "older" cars my other faves was my 87 Capri and a 88 525
TheCraig

Post by TheCraig »

I'm another young owner 23 now got it I was 21. Some of my friends don't like it but I don't care. Strangely I find that it gets the most attention from 5 year olds, once over heard a small boy asking his mum if they could get one and when asked where his sister would sit he said in the boot! Kids got the right attitude.

Although some times i do wish the KITT comparisons would stop.
Gad
Location: Castle Donington, home of fast cars and strange festivals...

Post by Gad »

TheCraig wrote:Although some times i do wish the KITT comparisons would stop.

I get that alot too, I think mine being black does little to help this though...
Another young 'un at 22 here. :thumleft:
My mates all like it, but my girlfriend don't...
Oh well! :D
TheCraig

Post by TheCraig »

Gad wrote:
TheCraig wrote:Although some times i do wish the KITT comparisons would stop.

I get that alot too, I think mine being black does little to help this though...

Yeah mines black too it's the best color, don't think the wheels help....

Image (any excuse)

mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Macky17 wrote:Quick question - at 6'4" I'm really pushing the limits of that little cabin - everything is adjusted all the way and still there's no room behind the seat for the roof panel or much room under the wheel for my knees. Has anyone fitted smaller steering wheels to these for that (or any other) reason??

people fit smaller steering wheels all the time for same reason or for looks. I see you've started threads on this.

As for more room for the tbar storage, you could try putting them both behind the passenger seat to give you more leg room.

nice car by the way

Also - i don't recommend tcut, but rather autoglym paint renovator, then autoglym super resin polish for red cars.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I find that small children do take an interest, and always say "mummy is that a ferrari" lol

Although I mostly get boy racers at the lights asking if its turbo'd then leave em for dust, and let em know its a 1.6 n/a lol
Kooga

Post by Kooga »

Hi there fellow essex peeps, hope you enjoy your new acquisition..they're a whole bunch of fun when they're not busy rusting away! I always wanted one of these when I was a kid - now they're cheap enough for me to have one -how good's that?! I'm a big fan of 80's styling and most of the 20 or so cars I've had in my 17 years of driving (i'm 34) have been boxy rust buckets from that era.

SuperRedMR2 was trying to get a meet together...superb plan, but i'm not sure the seafront at Southend is a good venue (police, speed camera's & an abundance of idiots). Much better a pub in the middle of nowhere that involves lots of twisty country roads....! :D
smc24021970

Post by smc24021970 »

I'd love to come for a meet in the Colchester area, I'm an Ipswich man ( ex-Essex boy ) and am looking quite hard to find a good MR2, got to be white, got to be T-bar, and GOT to be a Mk1 ! Used to have one years ago, and find myself lusting after them now. Nearly brought one last weekend on Evil-Bay, but a lot of things didn't add up ! Anyone know of any for sale ..... And I am harrasing Evil-Bay, 'to-Trader et al !!
TheCraig

Post by TheCraig »

smc24021970 wrote:I'd love to come for a meet in the Colchester area, I'm an Ipswich man ( ex-Essex boy ) and am looking quite hard to find a good MR2, got to be white, got to be T-bar, and GOT to be a Mk1 ! Used to have one years ago, and find myself lusting after them now. Nearly brought one last weekend on Evil-Bay, but a lot of things didn't add up ! Anyone know of any for sale ..... And I am harrasing Evil-Bay, 'to-Trader et al !!

Good choice coming back to Mk1 ownership. There are a couple of white t-bars on the owns club website, one has only done 76k and looks tidy.

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/forsale.html
smc24021970

Post by smc24021970 »

That does look a great one, but I am looking to spend £ 1700 as a maximum figure, which I think represents a good price for a Mk1 MR2 at the moment. There's a low miler on e-bay, but I think the guy may have brought it cheap, bunged in some filler, and tarted it up a tad. And he won't answer questions about that !! I know a few will have had work at some point, but at least be honest about it ? I am aware the car is nearly 20 years old, and am not expecting perfection for £ 4.10 and a bag of chips !!!
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I bought mine for £1700 almost immaculate with 64k on clock

T-Bars will be going up in £ now its the summer time
smc24021970

Post by smc24021970 »

Hmmmm ...... the seasonal sun adjustment .... I hate it ! But got one to look at his weekend, @ £ 1700.00, will try some haggling .... and taking a magnet with me for those mint arches and wings ... I don't want to wait until Sept / Oct ..... :evil: :pray:
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

TheCraig wrote:I'm another young owner 23 now got it I was 21. Some of my friends don't like it but I don't care. Strangely I find that it gets the most attention from 5 year olds, once over heard a small boy asking his mum if they could get one and when asked where his sister would sit he said in the boot! Kids got the right attitude.

Although some times i do wish the KITT comparisons would stop.

I bought mine when I was 20 (did turn 21 10 days later, best birthday present ever) Car is 9 months older than me.

I live near an elementary school and more often than not the kids always comment on my car "look daddy a ferarri" etc. Quite funny. One of the parents actually told them it was a toyota and they ran up to the front and pointed to the badge to prove it. Guess they don't know the difference between a horse and an eagle yet.

Grocery shopping always fun too. I get a chuckle when people ask me "Why are you stuffing toilet paper in your engine?"
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Here is mine on 15" MR2 Roadster Alloys, lowered 30mm

[IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i200/ ... MG1164.jpg[/IMG]
ppre89

Post by ppre89 »

lol i get the ferrari alot when im working on mine, only being 18 the parents are always saying no it aint, look how old he is. lol :D Guess when your young a red mk1 t-bar is going to look like one :P
smc24021970

Post by smc24021970 »

How go the repairs, or are you on the road now ?
ppre89

Post by ppre89 »

smc24021970 wrote:How go the repairs, or are you on the road now ?

me?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”