what is needed to put in a chargecooler in my supercharger

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2mk1chick

Re: what is needed to put in a chargecooler in my supercharger

Post by mr2mk1chick »

better than candy red, try an original toyota mk1 colour that is really rare but brill:

Orange pearl mica 3H5 (see http://www.toyotareference.com/#MR)

It looks like a really great deep orange

trying to locate a better pic than the one they have....
System-G

Post by System-G »

MartG wrote:Hi-Q in St Annes did a good job on mine a couple of years back - cost about £100

Hi-Q down our way can't do it - they were the local fitters I was refering to in my post above.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

Been offered a chargecooler for 150 pounds, is this a good price?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

autobody wrote:Been offered a chargecooler for 150 pounds, is this a good price?

Sounds pretty reasonable I think (although i've not bought one, but in comparison to an engine lid and SC intercooler it doesn't sound bad).
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

ive got my eye on this one. i know someone who is using it on another car and says it cools really well. the turbo pipe in is red hot and the pipe out is very cold to the touch so cant be too bad.

http://www.xs-power.co.uk/index.php?mai ... abdecbec34
parody

Post by parody »

autobody wrote:Been offered a chargecooler for 150 pounds, is this a good price?

I paid less than £20 for the Subaru Legacy core i'm currently using, and it was in mint condition. Keep your eye on Ebay before you take the plunge 8)
SW20Paul

Post by SW20Paul »

I just bought 2 st165 core's and a pump for £25.

Keep an eye on gt4oc.net there plenty of people ditching the cc to fit a fmic
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

parody wrote:

I paid less than £20 for the Subaru Legacy core i'm currently using, and it was in mint condition. Keep your eye on Ebay before you take the plunge 8)

Really, thats unreal.... i thought is was best to only use the ST205 Chargecooler.

i got the feeling it can be any chargecooler?

i have not gone through the deal yet, i think i need to wait as 150 and 20 pounds is a huge differnce..... thanks for letting me know..

so a subaru legacy one will do the same job as the ST205 Chargecooler core?
dgh.mr2

Post by dgh.mr2 »

autobody wrote:
waynestoyotamr2 wrote:Dont bother with the SC! Get cracking on that Mk1.5 I sold you!

Hi mate. the 1.5 you sold me is almost ready and it will be sprayed up in a few weeks. not sure what colour. was thinking candy apple red. what you think... but handling needs sorting out becasue it is crap round bends. and lift off. so needs tow line and wheels sorting (i think thats what it is called :-k )

The SC is the king for me, its handles too good to be true. so the 1.5 will have to wait for a few weeks. 4 weeks and it should be all done and i will post pictures of the car and maybe you will buy it back off me 8) :whistle:

Hello again Imran - reading this makes me even sadder that I sold it!

But, given you agree it handles so well Mac1 aren't too far away in Sheffield and as they are responsible for the handling of the sc (they transformed it once the new Konis, springs and bushes went on) maybe they'd be a good bet for your 1.5?
parody

Post by parody »

autobody wrote:
parody wrote:

Really, thats unreal.... i thought is was best to only use the ST205 Chargecooler.

i got the feeling it can be any chargecooler?

i have not gone through the deal yet, i think i need to wait as 150 and 20 pounds is a huge differnce..... thanks for letting me know..

so a subaru legacy one will do the same job as the ST205 Chargecooler core?

I'm no expert but after a damn good thrashing yesterday (it was the first time I had the car on the road properly so was a damn good thrashing ;) ) the core was still nice and cool, as was the inlet to the engine so I guess the core is up to the job. I've seen ST165 cores used before to good effect too so before you go splashing out on that fancy XS one check out gt4oc.net cos, like someone on here has already said, there's always someone selling or breaking a car with one on 8)

If you want to have a look at mine (cos I saw you;'re from manc) then i'm actually now in warrington and it's not a problem :)
MartG

Post by MartG »

I did a bit of research when I was buying my Legacy core, and apparently Subaru owners don't bother upgrading theirs unless they're going for over 350bhp, so it should have ample capacity for a GZE
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

dgh.mr2 wrote:
autobody wrote:
waynestoyotamr2 wrote:Dont bother with the SC! Get cracking on that Mk1.5 I sold you!

Hi mate. the 1.5 you sold me is almost ready and it will be sprayed up in a few weeks. not sure what colour. was thinking candy apple red. what you think... but handling needs sorting out becasue it is crap round bends. and lift off. so needs tow line and wheels sorting (i think thats what it is called :-k )

The SC is the king for me, its handles too good to be true. so the 1.5 will have to wait for a few weeks. 4 weeks and it should be all done and i will post pictures of the car and maybe you will buy it back off me 8) :whistle:

Hello again Imran - reading this makes me even sadder that I sold it!

But, given you agree it handles so well Mac1 aren't too far away in Sheffield and as they are responsible for the handling of the sc (they transformed it once the new Konis, springs and bushes went on) maybe they'd be a good bet for your 1.5?

hi david, well be happy you sold it to me as its being looked after..., also you are right, i might give them a ring but it will be in a few weeks. i may call you if thats ok before i ring so i know who to talk to etc....
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

parody wrote:I'm no expert but after a damn good thrashing yesterday (it was the first time I had the car on the road properly so was a damn good thrashing ;) ) the core was still nice and cool, as was the inlet to the engine so I guess the core is up to the job. I've seen ST165 cores used before to good effect too so before you go splashing out on that fancy XS one check out gt4oc.net cos, like someone on here has already said, there's always someone selling or breaking a car with one on 8)

If you want to have a look at mine (cos I saw you;'re from manc) then i'm actually now in warrington and it's not a problem :)

hi i will come to you so you dont wast your time etc.. will it be ok for me to pm you in about 2 to 3 weeks so arange me comming to you...?

am hoping to get this done in about 4 weeks times.. and cant wait for it. also can wait to see yours in action. :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”