[Mk2] [Turbo] TD06 Questions...

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

shabz

[Mk2] [Turbo] TD06 Questions...

Post by shabz »

Got a few questions about this turbo...

1. What's the difference between TD06 15g and 25g, are there different types of TD06?

2. What's the difference between the Greddy, ATS and XS models??

3. Is it possible to add an external wastegate to any of these?

4. Apart from oil lines, adapter plate(T3?), and the turbo, what is needed to make it fit? Custom downpipe?? Actuator?

5. Lastly...I've read that their is a rebuild kit available for the TD06? and it's much cheaper to rebuild than the GT28, is that true?

Please dont start the GT28 vs TD06 debate :D

Thanks in advance guys :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Leakie Tbar

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] TD06 Questions...

Post by Leakie Tbar »

Quote ATSAaron

1. compressor size. 20G is a good medium. Smaller compressor wheels make less power with not much less lag.

2. I am not familiar with the XS model, but I assume it's a Chinese copy of the real TD06.

Greddy kits are internally wastegated, have a brazed oil feed line that is prone to issues if not handled carefully, an unprotected rubber oil drain line, and uses a downpipe apparently made of clay (breaking completely in half is common), and as far as I know carries no warranty.

The ATS kit uses stainless downpipe, is externally wastegated using our CNC adapter, uses better oil feed and drain lines (steel braided) and is a water cooled center section for longer turbo life. The entire kit is covered by a 6 month unlimited mileage warranty.

4. The ATS and Greddy kits are complete with everything you need to install them.

5. It is cheaper to rebuild a TD06 than a GT28RS (or any Garrett ball bearing turbo).

Hope that helped.

Aaron

Post by shabz »

Thanks for the response :)

The greddy one can't be that bad?? I was looking at a second hand unit, how much do rebuild kits normally cost for the greddy/ats td06 anyway? and is it not possible to convert the greddy one to externally wastegated with custom downpipe?

I'm on a tight budget or I would just fork out for new stuff ;)

Also how can you tell between the 15g 20g models? Is it written on the turbo itself?
KrisB

Post by KrisB »

ats racing sell an externall wastegate setup
Muffleman

Post by Muffleman »

KrisB wrote:ats racing sell an externall wastegate setup

Yeah gonna email them later, emailed KO Racing this morning - definitely want an ext. wastegate but it's a road car so not sure I want a GT30 series, might see if they can do me a GT2071r on an ext. wg.

Are KO and ATS our best bets price wise ? You can't beat $2 to £1 ;)
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

SBITS are ATS and KO dealers just in case any one didnt know :wink:
KrisB

Post by KrisB »

if your looking for a full turbo kit check out tims from xxxx pretty neat and tidy kit

Return to “Modifications”