[Mk2] [Turbo] Cracked block???

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

regovdaro

[Mk2] [Turbo] Cracked block???

Post by regovdaro »

Myself and trickster dropped my rev 2 engine out a few months ago stripped it replaced all gaskets inc metal hg, replaced all pumps and put it all back into the car.

It was brilliant for the first run i took it out with loads of power put after that when i take it out for a spin and drive it at high revs steam comes out the expansion tank so i turn it off and let the motor cool down, i have replaced the rad cap and stat. still no good ](*,)

The head has been skimmed and pressure tested so the ony thing we can think of is cracked block.

Im open to all ideas, thank you
3S Service Centre

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Cracked block???

Post by 3S Service Centre »

we have seen alot of these problems.

With a cracked block you will have the symptoms you are talking about but may not see the crack, these cracks get bigger with time and open up with heat, so its more than possible you missed a tiny tiny hairline mark which is the problem.

Sorry.

James
call James on 01256 883386 or 07786073755
regovdaro

Post by regovdaro »

would rad weld fix a cracked block for a few months?
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

regovdaro wrote:would rad weld fix a cracked block for a few months?

I'd personally steer clear of that crap.. its all bad IMO..

I had similar issues.. replaced rad cap, waterpump, thermostat.. prob a few other things as well... then ended up with a new head.. and then a few months later had to have a new engine dropped in.. grrr cars....
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

:shock:

it may not even be this but .... :shock: , rad weld

do you still have standard pistons etc.?
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

mrtee wrote:
:shock:

it may not even be this but .... :shock: , rad weld

do you still have standard pistons etc.?

rad weld may help block a small rad. hole for a very short time but won't go near helping a cracked block out, also the forces are 100's of times more extreme, sorry...
regovdaro

Post by regovdaro »

ok i have found out something today, i took out the rad and gave it a clean out and flushed the pipes down to the rad,

i left the stat out and took it out for a spin and it overheated but when i checked the rad, the pipe down the passenger side was boiling hot but the pipe from the stat to the rad is freezing, the water pump is new and i did bleed the system. im sure the block is not blocked but not 100%
Sports Toyota Breakers

Post by Sports Toyota Breakers »

Definitely a problem with your coolant flow, then. TBH it does sound like the water pump - I've seen pattern ones of these fail due to poor manufacture.
regovdaro

Post by regovdaro »

oh well i have just bought a rev3 engine off gts chris, so next week ill have a rev2 engine for sale with brand new cosmetic Hg and new blue print water pump all stripped and cleaned my myself and trickster.

Any offers
Owen @ Kent Car Craft

Post by Owen @ Kent Car Craft »

I know its a PITA but make sure you're bleeding the coolant correctly.As james said,symptoms of a cracked blocked are v. common, and rarely visible (they just weep commonly)
HTH
regovdaro

Post by regovdaro »

the water pump is a new blue print one with metal fins so i dowt it has failed so do you think the pressure from the block is stoppin the coolant system to operate properly?

Return to “Mechanical”