Great ps3 deal

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

matt_mr2t

Re: Great ps3 deal

Post by matt_mr2t »

Well said Sam!

I might get rid of my 2 PS3 games that came with the consoles. Can trade them in for some more Blurays :thumleft:
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

thanx. wonder if theyll think the same lol.

well ive got unreal but all my mates will play it on 360 so i think i mite do the same really.

ill probably keep the prologue jus to see what they do with it. its got me playing PGR3 tho lol.
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

Intersting read :-k

I've had a 360 and have to say the games i had were excellent, the only reason i got rid of it was because i didnt want the dreaded red light.

I actually nearly bought a ps3 today but something told me not too, now after reading this i think i'll hold out a bit.

I'm a big pc gamer anyway, might just get myself another 360 there going pretty cheap now :thumleft:
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

SamUK wrote:l
call me a fanboy or whatever you want. ive looked at, played, read about, talked about both consoles for a while now and alls ive done is picked the better game machine.

Hmm, true. I mean, I don't write about technology, own about 80 or so old computers/consoles, been tracking computer company history since the 1970s...

Oh, wait, yeah, I do :D

I've got less of an interest in the games (don't have enough time), but a lot of interest in martketing and technology. The computer collection is getting thinned out, but you know what? I got PS3 when it came out and Xbox 360 when the Elite came out for the UK.

I'm not calling it on "which is the better gaming machine" as an outright victory for either, because games are very different for different markets. If pushed, I'll say the Wii is the better gaming machine, because of the speed and flexibility of the platform for entertainment.

I think the Xbox is currently the platform best served with games and available library. I think the PS3 is better value and better hardware overall - though I don't like the cost reductions that have seen ports and PS2 functions dropped on newer ones, it still offers an overall better "value" package than the 360.

You get High Definition media built in - which was a £99 extra cost for the 360 AND is really not even an option now (though I bought one of the drives to get an external reader for my Eee/FlipStart and the remote control, now they're at firesale prices), it has WiFi, which costs more. And critically, it has a user-upgradable hard disc drive. If a game needs an install you can at least offset this against being able to shove a 250GB+ drive in there for the cost of the media.

It's also a lot quieter.

I think the PS3 has a lot of development and a lot of "familiarity" yet to come from developers. The PS2 took ages to get up to speed, about 2 years, before the market had really good titles that pushed the hardware. Even the original PSX had crap launch titles, some of them were no better than Sega 32X titles.

I don't know where anyone is getting the idea that I don't like the 360 from. I choose each title according to what attributes I want from the gameplay; racing games like PGR or Burnout, I want a QUICK game, and good controls (though, I can't bolt the damn Xbox wheel to my coffee table, I need a table for it) - the 360 is better for these. For games like SingStar or Guitar Hero, I'll play for ages and want the console not to be obtrusive. GTA falls into that category.

They are BOTH good games consoles. We're spoiled, massively, for cheap technology. It's not like arguing over Spectrum vs. C64 where they were both utterly xxxx compared to other products available, but were affordable. It's not even PSX vs. 3D0. It's more like New Labour vs. New Conservatives, except you want BOTH, rather than Neither.

Anyone with a PS3 griping about the games should buy an Xbox 360 Arcade. It costs as much as 3 games at rrp (or 5 at real prices) and the stock of second-hand titles for the Xbox is astounding. But it is all about back catalogue and intertia, and I think the PS3 needs to be judged in the context of the platform's complexity and "newness" - it's got 7 CPU cores, and presents some very different challenges for developers.
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

I class the wii as more of a toy that some games accidentally ended up on or something lol.

no, it is a good machine but i dont think anyone should ever buy one as there only games console unless they have young kids or something.

your point about the bluray is right too but the PS3 did take a year longer than the 360 so it should be improved in someway and yea i think its great for playing movies.

again tho for a games machine i dont think the noise really matters. maybe im jus lucky and never hav to play in a quiet room or quietly i dunno.

i jus think they really screwed up with the drive speed and it reminds me when i tried to tell people there would be bottleknecks in the system.

assasins creed was pushing on the limits of the PS3s RAM and the 360 is supposed to have a better GPU so apart from the cell i dont see why its such a might machine.

especially when they cant even use the cell properly and why would they? they can jus make the games for the 360 and do a port across. untill its the other way i feel the PS3 will lag behind the 360 for atleast another 12 - 18 months.

theres nothing really showing in the new sites that is any better than the 360 still anyway so even that timescale mite be a push.
shafster

Post by shafster »

sold my ps3 6 months ago as there were no decent games available for it.

just sold my xbox 360 premium as although the games were ok, i bought a hd dvd player for it and then found out i had to pay an extra £35 for a proper hdmi lead WTF! got really pisd off and sold it and bought a hd dvd player with 2 hd dvd's for £60 delivered from amazon which came with a free hdmi lead

currently looking at getting a ps3 again for blu ray capabilities and also gt5 and gta4...... some good deals starting from about £280
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

hmmm. think i would of done it the other way round mate.

kept the 360 and bought a ps3 altho i will save you being pi$$ed off again buy telling you youll need to buy another HDMI cable cos the ps3 doesnt come with one.

anyway, that way you would of spent the same and had both for games and HD-DVD and Bluray.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

shafster wrote:sold my ps3 6 months ago as there were no decent games available for it.

just sold my xbox 360 premium as although the games were ok, i bought a hd dvd player for it and then found out i had to pay an extra £35 for a proper hdmi lead WTF! got really pisd off and sold it and bought a hd dvd player with 2 hd dvd's for £60 delivered from amazon which came with a free hdmi lead

currently looking at getting a ps3 again for blu ray capabilities and also gt5 and gta4...... some good deals starting from about £280

Sounds like you got shafted. :tongue:

Why was an HDMI lead £35 for an Xbox? :aghast:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

hes not gonna be happy. i thought for a sec it had a specific connector and MS were charging £35 but its just a standard HDMI jus like you have to buy for the PS3.
thai boxer

Post by thai boxer »

SamUK wrote:Image

hes not gonna be happy. i thought for a sec it had a specific connector and MS were charging £35 but its just a standard HDMI jus like you have to buy for the PS3.

Sure is. Buy whatever HDMI lead you want. The expensive ones are better though.
Pain is temporary, pride is forever.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

i have to back up thai here as usual
ps3...poo sorry just is
i have all 3 360, ps3 and wii
by far the 360 is best enough said
i only ever turn the ps on for blu ray which is good
like they said GEARS OF WAR
i cannot find any game on the ps that is like that i cannot get on the 360 but i can find loads of games on teh 360 i cannot get on the ps.
also the menu screen on the PS is a lot hard to and more comlecated than the nice easy user friendly screen on teh xbox
i have just moved out my house for some work to be done and i have taken the Wii and xbox with me the ps is still sat at home
i play the Wii more than teh PS
sorry just not enought decent games to get m,e off the 360
the ps is okay and the graphics are good just not mindl blowingly better than the 360, how many more years can you ps guys say just wait there will be better game that use all its potential, prob will be butat the moment there just usn't

oh well let the war rage on :) :thumleft:
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Lauren wrote:

Sounds like you got shafted. :tongue:

Why was an HDMI lead £35 for an Xbox? :aghast:

Presumably because it was an early one; the Xbox got HDMI with the Elite and the revised motherboards in the standard models (as in, the Elites had the first run of the new motherboard but only an idiot would have two revisions of identical hardware in production, so naturally the white ones followed suit).
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

£35 wouldnt get you a HDMI model if you had an earlier one?
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

I'm assuming that this is two different conversations; shafster probably had to buy one of the A/V to HDMI leads.
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

RichardK wrote:I'm assuming that this is two different conversations; shafster probably had to buy one of the A/V to HDMI leads.

oh rite. i thought they could make one of them and thats what everyone complained about when it was jus comp.

wonder why they didnt jus release that in the first place then.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

It wasn't true HDMI, but it was an HDMI connection, IIRC.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

thai boxer wrote:
SamUK wrote:Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://simple-pc.com/blog/wp-content/up ... 48-1-1.jpg

Sure is. Buy whatever HDMI lead you want. The expensive ones are better though.

Expensive hdmi leads are no better then cheap leads over short distances upto around 5m. The signal is digital so any decent made cable will either work or it wont. Over long distances you start to get sparkles with cheaper cables but it has been prooven that some cheap cables perform just aswell as the very exepensive ones even upto 1080p/24. My 5m cable cost me £9 and it works perfect at 1080p.
Antstarr

Post by Antstarr »

matt_mr2t wrote:

Erm the 60gb PS3's were £425 how's that less than a £300 360 Elite?
My 40gb Ps3 was effectively £300 which is list price for them.

Who cares if you can get more on the disks - THEY ARENT PUTTING MORE ON THEM!

A bluray can take 50gb so what, an HD movie is all of 5gb - whats the other 45gb being used for?

My one is 80gb and I paid £235 brand new with 2 controllers and game but mines an asian model....im not denying that being british we get ripped off but if people will just wait a while prices will drop.

They arnt putting more on the bluray disks because at the moment there isnt any game which requires that amount of capacity disc storage and they also have to consider costs but when GT5 comes out with 800 cars it wont be a problem and there will be no struggle to fit a FF series or GTA in...no more double disc loading like they use to...and also blueray technology will kick off...things just take time.

Matt did any1 care when DVD's came out? No people were still using VHS's for another 2-3 years until change started happening.

Like I said before in my previous posts its all down to personal preference as to what games people prefer but end of the day the fact is...the PS3 is a better console...it just costs more than the 360's.

Btw does any1 wanna buy a used 360 with 2 controllers n games for £150 my brothers had his a few days but wants to get rid of it. :lol:
Watashi wa Ant desu, BAKA!!!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Mate, UNTIL they make use of the space and games ACTUALLY come out that are worth buying it's a total waste of space and money.

Imagine buying a DVD player 10 years ago for £300 and then not having any films worth watching on it? Then saying over and over again that one film is coming out sometime in the future, you dont know when but it'll come out. (a la GT5)

It could have all the technology in the world for all I care, but until they make use of it then it's pointless.

Put it this way, I bought mine and have since bought 3 Bluray films and am thinking about getting rid of the games all together.

It's no good saying "when GT5 comes out" as it probably wont be until 2009 for crying out loud. And one game simply isnt enough to make it worth it. Driving sims are a bit boring any way.

My 360 died last night, I could simply just carry on with the Ps3 but I'd rather get another Xbox lol.
thai boxer

Post by thai boxer »

matt_mr2t wrote:Mate, UNTIL they make use of the space and games ACTUALLY come out that are worth buying it's a total waste of space and money.

Imagine buying a DVD player 10 years ago for £300 and then not having any films worth watching on it? Then saying over and over again that one film is coming out sometime in the future, you dont know when but it'll come out. (a la GT5)

It could have all the technology in the world for all I care, but until they make use of it then it's pointless.

Put it this way, I bought mine and have since bought 3 Bluray films and am thinking about getting rid of the games all together.

It's no good saying "when GT5 comes out" as it probably wont be until 2009 for crying out loud. And one game simply isnt enough to make it worth it. Driving sims are a bit boring any way.

My 360 died last night, I could simply just carry on with the Ps3 but I'd rather get another Xbox lol.

Exactly what I've been saying all along. All you PS3 fanboys talk about is GT5, NOTHING ELSE, and thats because you've got NOTHING ELSE. :lol: :mrgreen:
Pain is temporary, pride is forever.

Return to “Games Consoles”