[Mk2] [NA] Insurance. Calling all N/A members 30 years plus!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GHOST

[Mk2] [NA] Insurance. Calling all N/A members 30 years plus!

Post by GHOST »

Ok, what should I be paying?

When I turned to the dark side 2 years ago and went from my MR2 Turbo to an FTO, Adrian Flux didn't budge on the price, so I went to SKY Insurance.

The FTO was written off in January (swerved to avoid a dog and drove into a wall) and I bought a good, tidy MR2, N/A. My insurance - Ensign/QBE (through SKY) have been complete anal entrances over the write-off payout and I'm still trying for more, but in the meantime my renewals came through and its still the same price as the FTO (group 18 I think).

They say its because of my claim, even though I'm paying for a protected NCB, but the MR2 is still two insurace groups lower than the FTO.

Anyway... I'm 34. Cars parked in a private driveway. Standard Alarm/Immobiliser. Exhaust and filter mods, but they're noth bothered about them. 5 Years NCB. Fully Comp with £250 excess.

They're offereing a Premium of £603. Paying over 11 months at £64 per month (strangely 11x64 is £704 so theres obviously some sly insurance ploy in there somewhere, probably an admin charge).

Sorry for the novel, but whats everyone else paying? I'm going to call APlan and Adrian Flux on Monday, and I might even call Bell Insurance because if I stick my aging parents on as additional drivers it knocks over £200 off!

I just want ball park figures really of anyone around my age.

Cheers, David.
Dale_V

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Insurance. Calling all N/A members 30 years plus!

Post by Dale_V »

im not 30+ =; :pray: but yeah thats a rip off, the monthly payments include the interest repayments each month (its basically a loan agreement)

give these guys a call: 08002496677 http://www.policyshop-insurance.co.uk/

im 24 and with the above company for my v6 camry, and it comes to about £550 fully comp with 1year ncb

as with all insurance its best to call them, if they ask you what quotes you have got already, then lie and just knock around £100 off your old quotes, then haggle :)
fearless

Post by fearless »

i pay £425 fully comp protected ncb with her indoors as a named driver which i thought was good. quote me happy n/union :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
oops im 35 with full ncb
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I'm paying about £350 through Flux for fully comp, all mods declared (there are a few) and an agreed value (4K). 5 yrs NCB and I'm in my forties now with my g/f on as named second driver.
Hope you get it sorted mate.

R.
CM1GT

Post by CM1GT »

that sounds very high, i'm 25, rev1 declared standard worth £2500, full ncd protected parked on the street £305 with direct line
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Does seem high, I'm 25 w/2yrs no claims and I pay ~£800 fully comp on a turbo. Something doesn't add up!
Nyphur

Post by Nyphur »

Last edited by Nyphur on Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

surely if it had no claims protected then you don't have to mention about an accident...or am i thinking wrong... :-k

they have ignored your no claims protection and are taking the p1$$ ...go and see a solicitor mate and bill them for doing this...

how much did you pay before your accident...?

i had quotes for £300 for a rev3 modified turbo but if i claimed they would have replaced standard, i ended up paying £480 with £8000 worth of mods insured like for like with A-plan..

im a similar age with the same no claims....they are pushing you out of the system because they are a big company and you are one...

don't let them get away with it...complain or ask to speak to management then make it formal...

welcome to "rip off britain"...you have to fight back... :-k
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

Cheers guys.

I just don't see the point in having a protected NCB if they still penalise you for having an accident.

My FTO was insured with them (not agreed though) for £4000 and they offered me £2500 because they looked on Autotrader and could get several cars of the same alledged condition and mileage for that price. I looked and you could get the same for £3500 to £4000. Such a price difference. But they're taking the very bottom of the market. I'm not being modest about this but my FTO was mint and not a 2 grand dog. I said I'd meet them in the middle somewhere but its being refered back to the original guy who came to assess it which is ridiculous because it was in a sorry state after the accident. So, beware Ensign/QBE through Sky Insurance. Half the time Ensign cut you off, the other you're waiting for ten min only to find that your contact is either off, out to lunch or 'busy'.

I live in a part of the country which they've confessed has one of the lowest car crime rates too. Its like everything else in this damn country, you have to have insurance by law so because its obligatory they know they can charge what they like.

Rant over.

At least I'm back in familiar ground with the MR2.
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

Oh, I forgot. On my FTO I was paying the same, give or take a fiver. But its a year on, from a group 18 to a group 16. Seems my protected NCB isn't worth a penny.

When I said to one of the staff about taking it 'further' ie solicitors, he said they get that 'all the time'. Trying to either put me off or simply because they don't care.

At the end of the day though, I didn't sign that V5 when it was sent off to them, so I've got a mind to say well ok, I'll have the three Lenso alloys back off it that weren't damaged (they'll fit my MR2). Technically its all still mine as I never signed the car off.
Pete J

Post by Pete J »

£225 fully comp, protected NCB, £150 voluntary excess.

38yrs... MR2 owner 8+ years. Mods declared.

Nice and cheap :thumleft:
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

i am 30 and paying fully comp on a heavily modified rev3 turbo all mods declared

408 per year

thats with 3 points aswell

adrian flux :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

3sgte wrote:i am 30 and paying fully comp on a heavily modified rev3 turbo all mods declared

408 per year

thats with 3 points aswell

adrian flux :thumleft:

#-o ...i didn't even bother phoning about because of the imoc discount, lesson learnt :lol: :lol:
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

Right, cheapest so far is APlan at £530 with £150 excess. Strange though, as its with the same insurer as Sky and they were quoting £603.

Plus, by paying monthly it only works out at £577 rather than Sky's £704.

Its so high because I've had two claims in 5 years. Even though my NCB is protected it still puts your premium up with any company. An accident is an accident whichever way you look at it it seems. Also, I am being viligant with my 3 points and mods, I'm declaring everything - better safe than sorry.

So the moral of this story is...Don't prang or crash your car!

Otherwise its short and curly time...
MattMR2

Post by MattMR2 »

No point insuring your vehicle for what you'd like for it.
They'll never pay that much as you've seen and it'll just increase the premium.

Also you've got to take into account where you live. The stats on car crime can affect your premium big time and makes comparing with others difficult.

I'm 33 and I renewed with Admiral last week. Paid £200 for my 1996 model parked on the street with 10 years protected no claims and no claims in that time.
I've only insured it for 3000 miles though as I take the train but every 1000 seemed to add about £7.

Admiral were defo the cheapest for me after checking all the comparison sites.

Check this link http://www.itpaystowatch.co.uk/main-story/car-insurance
the bit about cash back sites it good.
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

i am over 30 ^^
just come back to insure my mr2 about 1yr and 1/2 sitting in garage

with A-plan, lot of mod declare, come to 600 ish fully comp Protect ncb (had 5 ncb)

having protected ncb usually put price up about 20% to 30%

and when you do claim

I beleive it does affect ur insurance price, ( it just protect u losing then no claim bonus) so look at it like 2k - 60% (ncb) = insurance cost
with claim they charge u like 3k - 60% (Protected NCB)

hope that make sense
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

Cheers mate, I understand the protected NCB now, if I'd lost it I'd be completely screwed.

Looks like APlan the cheapest though. Sky offered me a 'better' deal than they originally had when I told them what APlan were offering and its only slightly higher.

On principal though I'm going over to Aplan, I've no loyalty to a company who can suddenly knock a £100 off a premium just because I can get it cheaper somewhere else. If they were looking after me they would have offered it in the first place.
ricky2

Post by ricky2 »

On principal though I'm going over to Aplan, I've no loyalty to a company who can suddenly knock a £100 off a premium just because I can get it cheaper somewhere else. If they were looking after me they would have offered it in the first place.[/quote] just right try http://www.sureterm.com
Poohbear

Post by Poohbear »

We have our Rev2 V6 with all mods declared ie:Wheels, exhaust, suspension, leather retrim, induction kit and of course V6 conversion and we pay £370 fully comp with 4 yrs NCB and 47 yrs old.

Bob
I'm Going To Die Young...But When I'm Very Very Old!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”