[Mk3] [Generic] Looking at getting a Mk3. Advice?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

[Mk3] [Generic] Looking at getting a Mk3. Advice?

Post by Scott Barton »

I will be posting on the ROC as well but thought i would tap here first.... :wink:
I am currently selling my Vectra SRi Estate. I have had a fair bit of interest but one that is really taking my fancy is a gentleman in North Wales who is looking at doing a direct swop with my Vectra with this 02 reg Roadster.
Now i do not really know much about the Mk3, other than if the pre-cats have been removed or not. The guy i am speaking to does not know diddly about it either. Apparently it used to be his sons but he took it off of him as payment for a debt. If i do go ahead with the swop what should i look out for? I will do a HPI check as the minimum to make sure there is no finance thats for sure.
Here are a few pics.....

I have been told that the hard top has since been sold and it is now a soft top. It is also a jap import.

And no...i am not selling my Mk2 Tubby.... :mrgreen:
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
L0rdMike

Re: [Mk3] [Generic] Looking at getting a Mk3. Advice?

Post by L0rdMike »

Dont really know my MK3's but is the gap on the bumper/bonnet ment to be like that.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Hi Scott - looks to me as though it's got a few nice extras on. Bodykit and spoiler inc. arch extensions, twin exit exhaust, chrome hoops, none of these are standard and are nice extras. Has it got Tein suspension on? I see the sticker on the door...

You must go for a test drive in it first - (and I trust you will do an HPi). A lot of tall blokes find it difficult to get comfortable as regards driving position so you must have a go...

Other than that, it's really engine related issues you need to investigate. You want to see the car cold and have a look at the dip and under the cap, if the oil level is low you might want to ask why. These engines do suffer from 'oval bore' syndrome (pre-cat related, if he doesn't know chances are they are still in there) and one of the first signs is excessive oil usage. Start it up and see if it smokes. Have a good listen when you take it out, any funny noises walk away...what mileage has it done btw?

T
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

tonigmr2 wrote:Hi Scott - looks to me as though it's got a few nice extras on. Bodykit and spoiler inc. arch extensions, twin exit exhaust, chrome hoops, none of these are standard and are nice extras. Has it got Tein suspension on? I see the sticker on the door...

You must go for a test drive in it first - (and I trust you will do an HPi). A lot of tall blokes find it difficult to get comfortable as regards driving position so you must have a go...

Other than that, it's really engine related issues you need to investigate. You want to see the car cold and have a look at the dip and under the cap, if the oil level is low you might want to ask why. These engines do suffer from 'oval bore' syndrome (pre-cat related, if he doesn't know chances are they are still in there) and one of the first signs is excessive oil usage. Start it up and see if it smokes. Have a good listen when you take it out, any funny noises walk away...what mileage has it done btw?

T

Hi Toni
Its done 80,000 and is a jap import. Slightly high mileage for its age.
Its also know on the ROC, which is not a bad thing.
The hard top and chrome hoops have already been sold so its just the soft top now.
It is based in North Wales and the guy has offered to meet me half way in Birminghma, so i suppose i wont get the chance to see it 'cold'. There may be a possiblity if i arraneg to meet at Rogue Motorsport though.... :wink:
Yes it has got Tein suspension, as well as the Postert exhaust and Postert bodkit. The original bumpers could also be thrown into the deal.
HPi check is a dead cert, not sure if i will bother with a full RAC check though. I know a ROC member who maybe willing to come with me.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Shame the chrome hoops and hardtop are gone! But it still looks a nice car. If someone from ROC is helping out then :thumleft:

Good idea on HPi, I wouldn't bother with AA/RAC either nowadays. You are savvy enough to know where to look for damage!

As I say, major thing to look for is oil consumption. Good luck!
T
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

After all that the deal is off. ](*,)

He agreed to do a deal with me, and it looks like i have been gazumped. Apparantlyy he has been offered a newer car. :evil:

Bit peeved to say the least. Waste of time.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Bad luck - if you are interested, then I know somebody who might be selling up for a reasonable amount, depending on what you are after....
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

To be honest i did not set out to get a Mk3. I am selling my Vectra Estate and i was offered this as a direct swop.
I will concentrate on selling the car now for cash.
:cry:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Shame, never mind!
T

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”