Tyres on 15" rims for my 1.5

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

anna

Re: Tyres on 15" rims for my 1.5

Post by anna »

Steve - choice of tyre entirely depends on how you like your car to handle, and that's a very subjective thing.

What's more important to you? Out and out grip, or handling? What's the best setup you've had in the past and why? do you take your car to the limit (and over it) on a regular basis, or do you prefer to drive within the limit?

If you can explain those, then you are halfway to finding the right tyre :)
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

eRATic wrote:steve, get over on TB and go to the wheels section. few posts about tyres. i will be trying out the marangoni's in about a month once my yoko 539 are dead.

i dont think the marangoni's will last a track day though but will be spot on for road use.

Jim SR was looking to use these as well.

I think Kirsty is using these on her SC....

got a bit warm and sticky on track, but should be fine for road use

maybe don't go for R888's for road use, as loads of peeps rekon they are horrid in the wet. (the racing mk1s will be usign these maybe?)

My new tyres (prada spec 2)are ace on the sc with big plley, don't kow how they would be with more power, but prob be okay
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

I recommend getting new wheels steve, not just because of the extra power (double!) but also because of the extra weight at the rear. I'm running 225 at the rear and 195 front, seems to balance the front/rear grip nicely while cornering but not really enough grip for when the boost kicks in :twisted:
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Tom G wrote:I recommend getting new wheels steve, not just because of the extra power (double!) but also because of the extra weight at the rear. I'm running 225 at the rear and 195 front, seems to balance the front/rear grip nicely while cornering but not really enough grip for when the boost kicks in :twisted:

what make/model of tyres are you running on?
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Just a thought ,What does a mk2 tuuby run as my old mk2 n/a was 195 fronts and 225 rears(standard wheels) ,I know its a differant car but what a tubby runs might be more of what you need :thumleft:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

eRATic wrote:Marangoni Zeta linea tyres are what i will be using next on my 1.5. They are supposed to be very good. i run on 195/50/15s no problem with grip. like i said on two brutal learn the car and the power delivery. youdon't need to go to really wide wheels and tyres. try a 205 on the rear but the rolling changes and you might run into clearence problems if you have changed your suspension.

like you i want to keep the car looking standard ( bar 2 side sccops )

I might give them a go, will you still be sticking with 195/50/15's ?
I am sticking with the suspension that came with it from Japan, it was already uprated, i will have to give it all a lot of thought!
Flat Pack

Post by Flat Pack »

mr2mk1chick wrote:

Yeap, they seem to work pretty well :) Good wet grip and from driving it at Oulton not what I'd call a sudden breakaway on track either.

They cope with trackdays ok, they're quite grippy and soft so never going to last forever but they certainly don't destroy themselves the way my Eagle F1s did at Anglesey for example.

Be interesting to see how long they last.
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

anna wrote:Steve - choice of tyre entirely depends on how you like your car to handle, and that's a very subjective thing.

What's more important to you? Out and out grip, or handling? What's the best setup you've had in the past and why? do you take your car to the limit (and over it) on a regular basis, or do you prefer to drive within the limit?

If you can explain those, then you are halfway to finding the right tyre :)

Hi Anna, i think my car handles well enough for me but i am not a trackday person, i like straight line speed ! The problem is i do take my car to the limit, it's the way i drive! but i am trying to calm down :( especially with all the extra power i have :D
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

mr2mk1chick wrote:
Tom G wrote:I recommend getting new wheels steve, not just because of the extra power (double!) but also because of the extra weight at the rear. I'm running 225 at the rear and 195 front, seems to balance the front/rear grip nicely while cornering but not really enough grip for when the boost kicks in :twisted:

yoki A539
System-G

Post by System-G »

Flat Pack wrote:
mr2mk1chick wrote:

Yeap, they seem to work pretty well :) Good wet grip and from driving it at Oulton not what I'd call a sudden breakaway on track either.

They cope with trackdays ok, they're quite grippy and soft so never going to last forever but they certainly don't destroy themselves the way my Eagle F1s did at Anglesey for example.

Be interesting to see how long they last.

They seem decent for the price :thumleft:

Although comparing the amount of wear at the end of the day on the Marangoni's and Parada Spec2's, I think the Marongoni's will wear slighty quicker, but there's hardly anything in it :thumleft:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Tom G wrote:
mr2mk1chick wrote:

yoki A539

Ahh- that will be why you have no grip for the power, even our sc can spin those babys up on a straight line drag.
A539's are pretty good all rounders though, but in short supply.
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Mk1Supercharger SE Steve wrote:i think my car handles well enough for me but i am not a trackday person, i like straight line speed ! The problem is i do take my car to the limit, it's the way i drive! but i am trying to calm down :( especially with all the extra power i have :D

Hi Steve
If you drive your car on the limits, whether this is on track or road, the same things apply.
I'd go for the best tyres you can justify spending on

eg prada spec 2's
Advan neova's
maragonis

whatever you decide i would put on all 4 wheels, not just the rear, as different compounds may affect grip in breaking - you dont want to lock and slide on the fronts for example.
you can then rotate the wheels around to wear them evenly.

HTH
eRATic

Post by eRATic »

Steve,

i will be sticking with the 195/50 front and a 205 rear. dont want to change the wheels as i will then need arches. i have some 16s but prefer the feel of the car on 15s.

i am on A539s too and i think they are great. TBH i doubt if i put 225s on mine they would grip all of the time.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

sorry steve all this talk about tires you have some very good tires on there anyways eagle f1's they were what i was using.. but i did have 205's on mine.....
but forget the tires i am sorry buddy but the most inportant thing is DO THE BRAKES as you have not done them.. otherwise you will not have a car to put tires on

hope you enjoing it :oldtongue:
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Black Beast Pistol wrote:sorry steve all this talk about tires you have some very good tires on there anyways eagle f1's they were what i was using.. but i did have 205's on mine.....
but forget the tires i am sorry buddy but the most inportant thing is DO THE BRAKES as you have not done them.. otherwise you will not have a car to put tires on

The brakes are already uprated , as it was an sc, doesn't seem to be any problem with braking.
SySanguinary
IMOC Committee

Post by SySanguinary »

Mk1Supercharger SE Steve wrote:
Black Beast Pistol wrote:sorry steve all this talk about tires you have some very good tires on there anyways eagle f1's they were what i was using.. but i did have 205's on mine.....

The brakes are already uprated , as it was an sc, doesn't seem to be any problem with braking.

As far as I know the brakes on the SC are the same as the Mk1b...
I didn't bother upgrading the brakes on my 1.5 but I did put new (recon) calipers, new disks and decent pads in it. I've done two track days in it now and suffered no loss of brakes whatsoever and that was braking from 115 down to 35ish on the back straight of Anglesey.
bburn13

Post by bburn13 »

Steve,
As Sy said brakes are the same as the 1b, on the SC.
So you just need qualtity pads
EBC Yellow stuff,is a favoured option
I just got all 4 corners (for my upcoming 1.5 - The Ghimp)
£105.85 delivered

Dave
89 SC - Beauty.
89 Track n/ail - The Red Dwarf
84 Blue 1.5 Tin Top Rummy, 54 RX8 -Rex
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

the other tyre options are far better IMO, as eagle F1's are rubbish at higher tyre temps.

Black Beast Pistol wrote:but forget the tires i am sorry buddy but the most inportant thing is DO THE BRAKES as you have not done them.. otherwise you will not have a car to put tires on

a decent caliper service and EBC yellow stuff will be fine :thumleft:
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

I think the calipers should be ok! i had it all looked at by a garage i trust and i did have to have a refurbished caliper on the back but i only had standard pads fitted. Braking to me at the moment doesn't seem to be a problem at all!
Are you sure that the sc's didn't get uprated discs? as i felt certain that i had read somewhere that they where already uprated for the sc.
Maybe i do need to look into it a bit more!
As i don't do track days, where the brakes have to to be used all the time and mostly to the limit, my car is just for quick blasts and usually given time to cool down again even though i will take to the limit on occasions .

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”