[Mk2] [Turbo] Power Steering Relay?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ELS

[Mk2] [Turbo] Power Steering Relay?

Post by ELS »

I've got a rev 3 turbo and am having problems locating the power steering relay :-k

I've been on the mr2-tech website and there drawings are very vage on where the relay locations are based.

Can anyone show me pics or discribe to me where it is located?

Regards Elliott
raptor95GTS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Power Steering Relay?

Post by raptor95GTS »

open the frunk, it's under the plastic trim in the spare wheel well beside the fuse box. er I think that's where it is :oops:
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Are you having problems with the PS? Relays are known to stick, but a trick is to turn the ignition on and off quickly a few times. This usually un-sticks it.

The relays are in the fuse boxes - frunk, driver footwell and engine bay. The PS is definitely either in the frunk or engine bay fuse box.
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

its in the frunk on the right as you look at it, its a silver metal cylinder thing with wires plugged on to it, its not in the main fuse box. i have a spare one if you need to replace it £10 plus postage.

although as said above the ignition trick works quite well too.
cherdyboy

Post by cherdyboy »

just to save me going out in the cold, does the ignition on / off thing make it work just until you turn off the ignition again, or for longer? Mine sometimes sticks and wont come on until its given a few turns, then it free's up.
ELS

Post by ELS »

Thanks for all your comments, i've tried the ignition trick, turning it off and on a few times but it doesn't seem to work. When i start it up the power steering light on the dash goes out and the power steering works briefly but then 5-10 seconds later the light on the dash comes back on and the power steering doesn't work. :-k

I've checked all the connections to the power steering relay and power steering ecu and there fine, no rust or corrosion. Anyone have any more suggestions?

Regards elliott
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Have you checked the fluid level? The steering rack can develop leaks and if the fluid level was low that may cause a warning light.

To check it, you'll need to remove the spare wheel so its a PITA - and will need topping up with Toyota Fluid as the fluid used in the MK2s isn't like 'normal' PAS fluid.
ELS

Post by ELS »

Sorry forgot to mention yep have checked the power steering fluid level and yep its fine. :-k

Still quite puzzled, anymore feed back would be very helpful.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

I reckon its change relay time to at least elliminate that as a problem.
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

i read on fourm somewhere, it is a grounding issue , bad earth to the unit,

http://www.nut-shells.com/mr2/manuals/EWD083U.pdf <--- it show location
hope that may help
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

do the ignition thing again, turn it on off really quickly about 30 or 40 times (normally sorts it out for atleast a few weeks) as this cleans off the carbon build up on the relay. Have heard this problem can be worse if you have a weak alternator too.
ELS

Post by ELS »

Right all sorted! 8)

Spoke to mr toyota to find that they wanted a disgraceful £160 for the unit! :shock: :shock:

Obviously there was no chance in hell i was prepared to pay these crazy kinda prices, so it was time to pay my local scrapyard a visit. Made a note of the part number and found that they use the same relays on uk specs....... £10 later, job done! :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Nice one - good info that.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”