[Mk2] [Turbo] had a bad crash last night...no more mr2

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] had a bad crash last night...no more mr2

Post by Martin F »

hagghill wrote:the car has gone now, i got just £500 for the lot

i just couldnt stand to see the car anymore :cry:

500 bucks, with all the advice people have given you :?

should have waited a few days because it takes that long to recover from the shock...

oh well....at least it's all a bad memory now

take care :thumleft:
L0rdMike

Post by L0rdMike »

michael wrote:Luckily I didn't come across any diesel ice though.

\:D/ Its rare stuff dont you know. I have yet to find Diesel on the road let alone them both combined into a super MR2 killing machine.
hagghill

Post by hagghill »

mrtee wrote:

should have waited a few days because it takes that long to recover from the shock...

i think im taking this the wrong way but im getting the impression im getting stick for making a decision.

whether it was right or wrong its done now so just accept it people, i have :)

i think im going to leave this forum now so thanks for all those that gave good advice
michael

Post by michael »

L0rdMike wrote:
\:D/ Its rare stuff dont you know. I have yet to find Diesel on the road let alone them both combined into a super MR2 killing machine.

I've had a couple of scary experiences with diesel, once on a motorway, once on the A1 - both leaks from lorries, you could smell it before you felt the car getting "loose" but in one case it was the tanker leaking for well over 5 miles and the road was littered with smashed up cars at all the braking points :(

Evil stuff.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Glad you are ok. Someone got a real bargain, wish you lived closer to me as I would have had it off you
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

hagghill wrote:
mrtee wrote:

i think im taking this the wrong way but im getting the impression im getting stick for making a decision.

whether it was right or wrong its done now so just accept it people, i have :)

i think im going to leave this forum now so thanks for all those that gave good advice

mate, i wasn't meaning to offend you, just very surprised with your decision and loss in general....

hope thigs sort themselves out for you and good luck in the future :thumleft:
Harry

Post by Harry »

Some real big shots around here... :clap:

Simon, :(

Sorry to hear about the distress to you and your family mate.Happy you got out of the car though.Chin up.

Best Regards,

Harry.
Last edited by Harry on Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L0rdMike

Post by L0rdMike »

Harry wrote: Some real big shots around here... :clap:

Its ok, if I ever crash my MR2 you can laugh all you want at me. :-P

Just out of interest how old is the OP?
Harry

Post by Harry »

L0rdMike wrote:
Harry wrote: Some real big shots around here... :clap:
Its ok, if I ever crash my MR2 you can laugh all you want at me. :-P Just out of interest how old is the OP?

We might not want to laugh If you are dead and or permanently disabled.
craig

Post by craig »

MR2 is a mess, but glad you're ok mate. That's the main :thumleft:
JAP BOY

Post by JAP BOY »

Jesus another one sos to here this mate hope your well!!!
Not meaning to hi Jack but there has being too much 2s getting written off lately guyz lets all take it easy until the sun comes out !!!! :(
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

JUIC'IN wrote:
Frankly I dont see how taking the p1ss really helps this situation do you?...

Ok there may or may not of been diesel, but im sure a valuable lesson has been learnt. Aidy I think you and Goto10 are old enough and wise enough to have abit of compassion and put away your p1ss taking "stiles".

Guy buys a car, doesn't insure it against an accident, crashes it days later cos he can't drive then blames it on diesel? Funny how everyone that crashes an MR2 has hit diesel and I've never heard someone admit that they just f*cked up and crashed. If he just fronted up it would be different.

Anyway, he now knows the consequences of insuring a performance car TPFT, it's too bad it has cost him as dear to do it.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Aidy wrote:
JUIC'IN wrote:
Frankly I dont see how taking the p1ss really helps this situation do you?...

Ok there may or may not of been diesel, but im sure a valuable lesson has been learnt. Aidy I think you and Goto10 are old enough and wise enough to have abit of compassion and put away your p1ss taking "stiles".

Guy buys a car, doesn't insure it against an accident, crashes it days later cos he can't drive then blames it on diesel? Funny how everyone that crashes an MR2 has hit diesel and I've never heard someone admit that they just f*cked up and crashed. If he just fronted up it would be different.

Anyway, he now knows the consequences of insuring a performance car TPFT, it's too bad it has cost him as dear to do it.

Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

unlucky mate, thats a lot of money to loose for a weeks fun
we live and learn
glad you are ok though :thumleft:
Harry

Post by Harry »

Some of you might think you are fully In control and or have the vast experience and or the know how or the supreme abilty to do the right thing and or make the right choices and decisions In your life most or all of the time.Big brown bear! Impress us with your kindness and thoughfulness.Or do some people actually feel better about themselves when others are down en out or had a little back luck and or misfortune. Is this the point we become elevated about our existance In the Universe? Or must we just state the obvious. Good Luck! :lol:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Harry wrote:Some of you might think you are fully In control and or have the vast experience and or the know how or the supreme abilty to do the right thing and or make the right choices and decisions In your life most or all of the time.Big brown bear! Impress us with your kindness and thoughfulness.Or do some people actually feel better about themselves when others are down en out or had a little back luck and or misfortune. Is this the point we become elevated about our existance In the Universe? Or must we just state the obvious. Good Luck! :lol:

i agree totally with you mate, some of the responses have not been nice and for what reason :?

the thing is that this horrible incident shows , is that in the wrong / inexperiennced / new owners hands these cars can be quite dangerous... but we already new that... :-k

new lad to the mr2 world without the experience for a high powered rear wheel drive car...disaster written all over it.

i do feel so sorry for the guy involved and i'm glad he's ok but this incident could have been avoided :-k

hopefully others will learn....

later bud :thumleft:
Azzazzel

Post by Azzazzel »

gah, sorry about the car, and the way some people have responded.

I had a taste of that when someone blitzed a red light T boning me. Even with a pay out it was a tragic time, I can't imagine what it must have been like for you to be in your situation.

Hope some good fortune comes your way soon....
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Sorry you've done your car (& money), but glad you got out of it basically unhurt.
A lesson for others is, if you cannot afford fully comp insurance, then buy a cheaper MR2 and use the money saved to upgrade insurance to fully comp.
So many 2's gone and the weather has not been that bad (so far) this winter.
Regarding the stick given out above, its human nature to look for an excuse when something goes wrong. I cannot believe that there is anybody on here that hasn't been in a near accident situation where luck played the major part in recovering the situation. I know I've had a couple....
EX Caribbean Blue 10th Anniversary 1996 T-bar
EX Black 1995 mk2 GT Turbo
NOW Audi TT V6 3.2 DSG 2004 Coupe
planted1

Post by planted1 »

Aidy,
Why is it that its allways a conspiracy with mr2 owners not to tell it how it is.......in your eyes?
Dont you think the fella feels bad enough without you crowing over his misfortune.
The cars gone,the guys ok( :thumleft: )
Harry

Post by Harry »

hopefully others will learn....

Sorry you've done your car (& money), but glad you got out of it basically unhurt. A lesson for others is, if you cannot afford fully comp insurance, then buy a cheaper MR2 and use the money saved to upgrade insurance to fully comp.

Hope some good fortune comes your way soon....

^^^ :clap: ^^^

Bear In mind If you have come from a front wheel drive one gets more traction and or grip by accelerating through the corner power down,the rear wheel drive wants foot off the power and more of a glide through the corner off throttle assuming one goes through the corner with speed.With the turbo If you power through the corner on throttle and happen to approach or hit full boost,and It's winter say evening a bit damp or very cold the chances are the back end Is going to come out! At this point all one can do really Is fully control the steering and take the foot off the throttle whilst focusing on absolute control keeping the car on the road and not striking other vehicles.Brakes,tyres en pressure,suspension and experience couped with acute visual observations of the road and general environment will raise your chances.

Lower the boost value If you have a controller full boost Is very rapid and possible not that physically noticeable until the back tyres start spinning you out of control,In the 300 torque region! Also consider looking here through A PLAN Insurance, we had this discussion last year and Dave, who Is one of the most experienced drivers,with a well cared for MR 2; fully Insured his mods and there was a lot of after market goods with a lot of value! Regrettable Dave,also came off just last month but was okay and was also well looked after by his not only; fully comprehensive but;added mods value extra on top of the book value! And; might have got paid for most of the money ploughed In to his project.

Yes fully comprehensive if just light mods and or only OEM stock then perhaps consider going this route with book value and fully comprehensive.Bear In mind this type of scheme plan Is designed for us modders ask your usual Insurance company to Insure your mods and they probably will think you are nuts.Then convenience of having your costs covered In the event of a collision through your fully comprehensive does take some of the duress out of the Incident Itself like:Free or at least part of the plan>recovery,legal/battles,body shop,loan car and no quibble along with excellent service Is seriously worth the consideration

Take care drive safely :-k

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”