[Mk2] [Turbo] Dump valve chatter

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Spittinflames

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Dump valve chatter

Post by Spittinflames »

Thats not a proper pigeon noise (First video, aint looked at the second) Most cars will do that, It's just playing with the throttle.

Edit... Just looked at the second vid.... Thats more like it :thumleft: (still not a pigeon though :lol: )

There is no way you'll get a rev 2 mr2 to sound like that
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

I do agree with Matt, the air has to go somewhere. The AFM and filter will only deaden some of the noise, but it doesn't mean its not happening. I have the AFM on my car and I was getting flutter with the stock bov and a cone filter. I guess it could depend on how loud other components of your car are as to wether you hear it or not.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

cantfindausername wrote:I do agree with Matt, the air has to go somewhere. The AFM and filter will only deaden some of the noise, but it doesn't mean its not happening. I have the AFM on my car and I was getting flutter with the stock bov and a cone filter. I guess it could depend on how loud other components of your car are as to wether you hear it or not.

:roll: Right take your bov off and block it up (just like i did) Metal plate 2 holes drilled and a gasket, Bolt the plate where the bov was and take your car for a run (just like i did) You will get nothing.

Edit* I tell a lie actually, if you play with the throttle a little bit on lite boost you may get a little fluttering noise. But its nothing you can call proper full on chatter.
cantfindausername

One way to test the theory would be to put your hand infront of this bad boy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Eme4GGXwA&NR=1
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

cantfindausername wrote:One way to test the theory would be to put your hand infront of this bad boy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Eme4GGXwA&NR=1

Bad boy :twisted:

Bov tight but not all the way creates a kinda chattery sound, http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wrIpRZnG0OU

I'll do one with it fully tight so can compare the difference.
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Spittinflames wrote:You ask that question like im telling a lie :lol:

:shock: No no not at all :lol: Sorry it wasn't meant to sound like that :oops: , I just wondered where all the air goes, and if it goes back through the turbine blades why it made no noise etc lol

Ive got sound clips of mine fully screwed in, ill post them up, i get no venting at all but a LOT of turbine noise, it doesnt sound very nice tho :pale:
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

Greddy-Matt wrote:
Spittinflames wrote:You ask that question like im telling a lie :lol:

:shock: No no not at all :lol: Sorry it wasn't meant to sound like that :oops: , I just wondered where all the air goes, and if it goes back through the turbine blades why it made no noise etc lol

Ive got sound clips of mine fully screwed in, ill post them up, i get no venting at all but a LOT of turbine noise, it doesnt sound very nice tho :pale:

:thumleft: It's all good i was only havin a laff :D

Well its funny really because i thought the exact same thing.... If i tighten the dump valve all the way then it does nothing, but its still boosting at 1.3 bar so wheres all that pressure going? In fact its bugging me so im gonna grab a camera and go out for a spin with it fully tight.... see what happens :thumleft: I shall return with a vid :D
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Why is it soooooooo god dam hard to understand!!! jesus! its soo dam simple people!!!

Surge = air deflecting off the CLOSED TB and back through the 'Still foward flowing' compressor fins! the Flutter / pidgon / mutant lesbian octapus Noise or what ever people want to call it , is the noise of SURGE!! Its NOT the DV, BOV, WG !!!

If the BOV spring is set to the position of maximum spring tension then it will act like blocking off the BOV altogeather and will cause the MOST SURGE NOISE! as the air rebounding off the TB will have nowhere to go except back the way it came. Setting the spring to its softest setting will make the LEAST noise! as the valve's spring will have little tension to resist the escaping boost air!

Remember... If the car is running uprated ammounts of boost / larger turbo, then when the BOV opens ,the inlet pressure will instantly drop causing the bov to shut -but the turbo will STILL be in Compress mode &it will cause the inlet pressure to rise again almost instantly thus-Re-opening the BOV ... imagine it opening and closing really fast like a strobe light.. This will make your pidgon noise as each time the BOV shuts, surge occurs,and when it re-opens , it amplifies the sound!!

Both thoes 2 sound clips are EXACTLY THE SAME THING!! you could remove a turbo from a car, rig it up to a household hoover and still get it to make that noise!!
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

RyanRs wrote:](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Why is it soooooooo god dam hard to understand!!! jesus! its soo dam simple people!!!

Surge = air deflecting off the CLOSED TB and back through the 'Still foward flowing' compressor fins! the Flutter / pidgon / mutant lesbian octapus Noise or what ever people want to call it , is the noise of SURGE!! Its NOT the DV, BOV, WG !!!

If the BOV spring is set to the position of maximum spring tension then it will act like blocking off the BOV altogeather and will cause the MOST SURGE NOISE! as the air rebounding off the TB will have nowhere to go except back the way it came. Setting the spring to its softest setting will make the LEAST noise! as the valve's spring will have little tension to resist the escaping boost air!

Remember... If the car is running uprated ammounts of boost / larger turbo, then when the BOV opens ,the inlet pressure will instantly drop causing the bov to shut -but the turbo will STILL be in Compress mode &it will cause the inlet pressure to rise again almost instantly thus-Re-opening the BOV ... imagine it opening and closing really fast like a strobe light.. This will make your pidgon noise as each time the BOV shuts, surge occurs,and when it re-opens , it amplifies the sound!!

Both thoes 2 sound clips are EXACTLY THE SAME THING!! you could remove a turbo from a car, rig it up to a household hoover and still get it to make that noise!!

That all sounds very interesting... Could you please explain then why when my bov is wound all the way tight i get no noise, I've even blocked it off as an experiment. I've taken a video as promised, will put it up tommorow now as i cant be ar$ed today.

Blocking off the bov or setting it to tight does not cause flutter. In fact the noise it does create sounds quite bad, its certainly not a flutter.

I wonder if the AFM is acting as some kind of stop?

This is proper flutter http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=w3TqIOVhc ... re=related
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy »

Spittinflames wrote:
RyanRs wrote:](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

That all sounds very interesting... Could you please explain then why when my bov is wound all the way tight i get no noise, I've even blocked it off as an experiment. I've taken a video as promised, will put it up tommorow now as i cant be ar$ed today.

Blocking off the bov or setting it to tight does not cause flutter. In fact the noise it does create sounds quite bad, its certainly not a flutter.

I wonder if the AFM is acting as some kind of stop?

This is proper flutter http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=w3TqIOVhc ... re=related

the same noise what i posted ....
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

seriously.. that is the way every turbo car/van/lorry/bus/boat..... works..!! i had to drive some small 7.5tonne lorry thing the other day that made exactly the same 'Fluttering' noise as that 200sx did. -and as hellboy said, that noise is the same fluttering as in the clips he posted!

some cars make different 'fluttering' noises ..yes.. but this is down to many things...like, turbo positioning,turbo type, make, Psi its hitting,spring tension on the BOV/DV etc. for example A top mounted gt35r will be louder than a bottom mount purely because its not tucked down the back of the engine near lots of heat proofing and sound deadening etc..

Also, a GT35r will sound different to a CT20 as its twice the size! -check out nathan's drag run..listen to the turbo chatter on that when he does his burnout!!

post up a clip of yours and ill see if i can come to an explination.. Tbh tho, im a rev 3 owner and therefore not played with the MAF sensor on the earlier ones...did someone mention there is a butterfly in there??
RichardPON

Post by RichardPON »

The sound they make is ultimately down to how the sound is amplified.

I had the chatter on my last cossie and it was very VERY loud - exactly the same as this EFI RS Turbo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVvWpZJfzO4

The sound differs due to what type of air filter you use. My cossie had an enormous Ram Air foam effort, and the noise was epic. Switched over to a small K&N and it was much quieter and far less high pitched.

Incidently, the RS Turbo as standard wont really chatter (the one in the abpve example uses the EFI setup from the Fiesta) because it has a metering unit in the inlet. In much the same way as the AFM operates on a Rev1 and Rev2, at closed throttle, it acts as a solid baffle, completely dampening any sound that might emerge, which is why it will near silent.

Also worthy of note is the difference between compressor surge and compressor SURGE. What we're talking about here is more stall than surge, as the turbo isn't surging as you are on closed throttle. ON throttle compressor surge is a very bad thing! If you've ever heard a incorrectly specced big turbo car on track that hasn't had it mapped out, or the wrong choice of cam etc, you'll know what it sounds like. It happens when the turbo overspeeds and backs off repeatedly on throttle under boost.
cantfindausername

Spot on Richard. Don't think anyone had picked up that we were actually discussing compressor stall, not surge. :thumleft:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Kubus

Post by Kubus »

ok guys - i didnt want to put up a new topic...
so if getting a BOV on a rev2 tubby is not a good idea - because of the AFM....
does anybody tried GFB hybrid BOV ?? half air goes to the air half comes back to the inlet - or whatever u set it up 4 ??
and where in the UK I can get them ??
cheers
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

While on the topic of BOV's etc what's the advantage/disadvantage of the BOV been closer to the throttle body over the position its in at the mo?
cantfindausername

AFAIK there is no proven difference in moving the BoV/DV to a different location.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
RichardPON

Post by RichardPON »

Well the biggest advantage over moving to the cold side is that the valve lasts longer!

The standard location isn't great as it's close to the turbo and can suffer.

There is also a good argument for being as near to the throttle body for beneficial throttle response as well.
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy »

Regardless of position , the ricirc valve works best, if you vent to Atmo its just wasted energy your allowing the car to vent. , when you re circ it returns to inlet path under force and makes throttle response that little bit quicker.
chrisrev2gt

hi

Post by chrisrev2gt »

hi guys this i the funnist dv ive ever heard i dont know about pigeon noise but its a bird noise lol :lol: :thumleft:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbNxugO-uf0
stevegts

Post by stevegts »

isnt the disadvantage of recirculating the air, that its hotter when it goes into the turbo again? or am i way off.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”