NEED SOME ADVICE on a superchager FENSPORT Pulley AND FIDANZA Flywheel

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

autobody
Premium Member

NEED SOME ADVICE on a superchager FENSPORT Pulley AND FIDANZA Flywheel

Post by autobody »

Hi to all, am a bit new here. i joined a few weeks ago to buy my 1st ever mr2 supercharger from david (top man)
:thumleft:

i got the car off him and i also paid some extra for the 176mm larger pulley which was from fensport came with the undersize idler pulley and new drive belt...

i also got the FIDANZA Lightweight Alluminium Flywheel.

i have a few questions regarding these parts...

1) if i was to install the Lightweight Alluminium Flywheel, what performance gain with i get.... and would it have any bad effects on the engain or gearbox?

2) i also seen in the fensport website a Replacement friction plate, what is this??? would i need this if i was to install the new Flywheel??

3) what are the fensport larger pulley like,? are they good, any down sides?

4) if i was to install both of them (the pulley and the flywheel) would this add strain on the engain, like blow it up or some thing expensive???

5) what sort of performace would they make to the speed of the car???

6) would i need to upgrate anyother parts if i was to add both of them. such as fule pump, water pump etc...

sorry i know tooo many questions...

my brother used to have a nissan pulsar, the engain was mint before he started to add pistons, cams etc... and it cost alot of money to put back right.... so i dont really want to do add the parts on and then next min i know i have to rebuild the engine

i would be gratefull if some one can give me some advice as the parts are just sitting in my bedroom, so i may sell them or put them on the car,,, what do you think... your recommendation would be appricated.

regards

imran
Captain Vimes

Re: NEED SOME ADVICE on a superchager FENSPORT Pulley AND FIDANZA Flywheel

Post by Captain Vimes »

The fensport pulley is well worth doing - should take power to around 170bhp. This should be completely reliable and the ECU will sort out the extra boost.
You will however need to change to cooler spark plugs and block of the ABV (a search will show you how...).

Personally I'd leave the flywheel as standard - it will work well in a high reving NA but I'm not convinced you need it in the SC. Plus it will be expensive to have fitted.
Once you've fitted the pulley you will get heat soak issues with the standard intercooler, so I'd put the effort here instead.
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

Captain Vimes wrote:Once you've fitted the pulley you will get heat soak issues with the standard intercooler, so I'd put the effort here instead.

have can you tell me what is the heat sock issues? itsthe 1st time i heard this. sorry it may be a bumb question i know but better safe than sorry
bburn13

Post by bburn13 »

Imran,
Found this site useful
http://www.mr2supercharger.com/SCpulleys.html
Lots of waffle, but worth a read
Dave
89 SC - Beauty.
89 Track n/ail - The Red Dwarf
84 Blue 1.5 Tin Top Rummy, 54 RX8 -Rex
MartG

Post by MartG »

As Captain Vimes said, the SC pulley will take you up to a reliable 170bhp+ - the only thing to watch out for is the replacement tensioner pulley supplied by Fensport doesn't last very long, plan on replacing it annually ( it's actually a Ford Zetec cambelt pulley part no F6635942 - £17 + VAT from Ford ). Some folk are currently experimenting with alternatives such as the metal tensioner pulley from either the 4A-GE or from a Camry V6.

Intercooler heatsoak isn't really an issue unless you plan on taking the car on track, but sending as much cool air in the direction of the underside of the intercooler will always help ( e.g. undercar scoop and trunking, sidescoop ) - remember the airflow is upwards :wink:

Don't bother with the lightened flywheel - useful on an NA car, but as you've already got to spin the supercharger its a bit of a waste of time, and is a major job to fit ( gearbox out ).
System-G

Post by System-G »

Basically the design of the SC is not the best - oversized crank pulley or not the intercooler is not mounted in the most effective way. A lot of SC owners refer to it as an interwarmer :lol:

By installing an oversized crank pulley and bypassing (or blanking off) the ABV the car will see more boost and therefore increased power output. The intercooler will be trying to cool more air than designed so improving the cooling is only a good thing. People have tried all sorts, but so far the prefered and most cost effective way is bettering the airflow to the intercooler. Many others have gone down the route of chargecooling.

It's not imperitive and the overall reliability of the engine doesn't really suffer if improved cooling is not done - you just won't experience it's full potential as far as power is concerned.

Oh, and if you're fitting the Fensport Crank pulley - don't use the idler pulley they supply with the kit. Get hold of a 4AGE/GZE cam belt tensioner pulley to use instead :thumleft:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

Captain Vimes wrote:The fensport pulley is well worth doing - should take power to around 170bhp.

170BHP sound good, am very Tempted in place this pulley, does anyone know a good place to get this fitted, some one with experence in working on MR2 sc,,???

also what sort of price does it cost to do this work?

thanks for the your comments. love the look of your supercharger :thumleft:
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

bburn13 wrote:Found this site useful
http://www.mr2supercharger.com/SCpulleys.html
Lots of waffle, but worth a read
Dave

thanks dave,,, yeah that inforation was useful,..

i might just sell this fensport pulley and buy a NST 180mm pulley as some a local chap has one and he says thay are one of the best.

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pKitToyMR2GZ.htm

or i might get a stronger idler pulley as some people have recommended,,, just need to know where to get this from. and what is the part number,,,
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

MartG wrote: the only thing to watch out for is the replacement tensioner pulley supplied by Fensport doesn't last very long, plan on replacing it annually ( it's actually a Ford Zetec cambelt pulley part no F6635942 - £17 + VAT from Ford ).

Some folk are currently experimenting with alternatives such as the metal tensioner pulley from either the 4A-GE or from a Camry V6.

I cant belive it is a ford part,, i cant use this on my toyota [-(

so do toyota sell the 4A-GE tensioner pulley?? if so what are the price? part number?

will the 4A-GE fit stright on with on modificatios???

what about the belt which comes with the fensport kit,,? is this any good???? dont want it snapping :-k
bburn13

Post by bburn13 »

MartG wrote: the only thing to watch out for is the replacement tensioner pulley supplied by Fensport doesn't last very long, plan on replacing it annually ( it's actually a Ford Zetec cambelt pulley part no F6635942 - £17 + VAT from Ford ).

Some folk are currently experimenting with alternatives such as the metal tensioner pulley from either the 4A-GE or from a Camry V6.

Any info from MartG - Take as gospel
(Mathew - Mart - Luke and John)

autobody wrote:do toyota sell the 4A-GE tensioner pulley?? if so what are the price? part number?

will the 4A-GE fit stright on with on modificatios???.

Yes bit No, It is not made for the large pully option, as Martin said people are looking at alteratives
Tom as using a 4A-GE pully and a saw!!!
Paul woods is testing out the pully from a Camry V6

autobody wrote:what about the belt which comes with the fensport kit,,? is this any good???? dont want it snapping :-k

Belts fine

Dave

30% off a curry - Wish he was my friend!!
89 SC - Beauty.
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

Dave

well am not sure he works there now, but his name is adil, he is a drives there, and u might see him around, if so ask if he knows imran khan,,,

and u might get a discount :thumleft:

cheers
bburn13

Post by bburn13 »

autobody wrote:

Dave

well am not sure he works there now, but his name is adil, he is a drives there, and u might see him around, if so ask if he knows imran khan,,,

cheers

Imran you made me laugh out loud.
wifey said what you laughing at,
so I told her.
she said "sad xxxxxx"
Just made me laugh more
Dave
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
89 SC - Beauty.
System-G

Post by System-G »

autobody wrote:

so do toyota sell the 4A-GE tensioner pulley?? if so what are the price? part number?

will the 4A-GE fit stright on with on modificatios???

It's the same part for the 4AGZE too. It need to be fitted flipped over other way around to how it would be fitted when using as it's designed purpose. When you get to fitting it, you will see that it will only go one one way around.

Can't remember the part number, but phone up your local main dealer, they should have them on the shelf. The cost around £70 - £80 :shock: Whereas the Ford ones cost about £20.00 - Nuff said really :thumleft:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

G i couldnt get the 4a-ge pulley to work? it had a slot so the securing bolt wouldnt be located 100% securely (liable to slip in the slot) and also it would need some sort of packer between it and the pulley bracket so that it spins? i looked at it for ages and just couldnt see how it could have been made to work,have you got any details on using the 4a pulley?

The v6 one was plug n play with a 2mm washer...and had the same size hole in the pulley as the mounting bolt.
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

is there anyplace i can get the pulley kit fitted around the northwest area, am just off manchester. dont mind driving to get to a good garage. ??
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

bburn13 wrote:
autobody wrote:

Dave

cheers

Imran you made me laugh out loud.
wifey said what you laughing at,
so I told her.
she said "sad ba$tard"
Just made me laugh more
Dave
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

well same here dave, it was a killer comment, \:D/

what do you think of a TRD 4-2-1 manifold ??? anygood??
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

PW@Woodsport wrote:
The v6 one was plug n play with a 2mm washer...and had the same size hole in the pulley as the mounting bolt.

is the v6 pulley the same size as the one which fensport supply with the supercharger pulley kit?

of not does it make a difference?
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

PW@Woodsport wrote:G i couldnt get the 4a-ge pulley to work? it had a slot so the securing bolt wouldnt be located 100% securely (liable to slip in the slot) and also it would need some sort of packer between it and the pulley bracket so that it spins? i looked at it for ages and just couldnt see how it could have been made to work,have you got any details on using the 4a pulley?

Hi Paul, it's actually my car that has been fitted with a 4AGE timing belt idler.

I used a single heavy plain (form "e") washer on the inside of the counterbore to centralise it and two form "e" washers to space off the outer race flange from the mounting bracket. It needs to be minimum clearance to be able to get the whole nut on.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Hi,
I believe you are the proud new owner of GUB :+:

The NST stuff is really nice. I spent some time last night replacing the Zetec idler, again, and with the exchange rate the way it is at the moment (~£150 + shipping) thats the cost of another 7 idlers..

If the engine is already tuned, I guess you might get some benefit out of the lighter weight flywheel, but like Mart says, the engine is spinning the SC anyway, so the benefits wouldn't be as large as you would see with an NA. (and it would be a right pita to fit at home)

(As a sidenote, all of the videos on the homepage of IMOC were recorded in GUB)
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

Speedy wrote:Hi,
I believe you are the proud new owner of GUB :+:

The NST stuff is really nice. I spent some time last night replacing the Zetec idler, again, and with the exchange rate the way it is at the moment (~£150 + shipping) thats the cost of another 7 idlers..

If the engine is already tuned, I guess you might get some benefit out of the lighter weight flywheel, but like Mart says, the engine is spinning the SC anyway, so the benefits wouldn't be as large as you would see with an NA. (and it would be a right pita to fit at home)

(As a sidenote, all of the videos on the homepage of IMOC were recorded in GUB)

hi mate, thanks for the comments..

this is my first SC and its amazing around corners 8) , david (last owner) spent lots on suppenstion set up..

i am thinking of selling the flywheel as it may be more useful to some one else. but i will be putting in the larger pulley.. but not sure if i should buy the NST or keep the fensport one. am not happy with the fensport suplying the Zetec idler which i hear is very poor quality... how long do they last..?? am planning of doing 3000 miles a year. ..

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”