Head Gasket - peace of mind..

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

flippin'eck

Head Gasket - peace of mind..

Post by flippin'eck »

Recently had a problem with the cooling system which resulted in partial loss of coolant (leak at the top of the rusty radiator).

Resulted in a hunting idle when cold. Caught it fairly quickly, car was driven only a couple of miles with low coolant.

Managed to plug up the hole temporarily, & the car now holds coolant ok & it seems to run fine.

After a short test run, 5 miles or so, the coolant's still clear, no mayo.. oil seems visually ok on the dipstick.. a certain amount of white steam in the exhaust during start and warm up but that disappears after the engine's up to temp, that's probably no different to what it's always done

Sourced a replacement rad off another member - many thanks :thumleft:

Of course I'm now paranoid that I've damaged the head gasket :roll: so what's the best way of checking all's well? Should I just keep an eye on the state of the coolant and oil, or is it worth doing compression tests etc?
MartG

Re: Head Gasket - peace of mind..

Post by MartG »

Just keep an eye on it - if its not losing coolant etc. then a compression test probably wouldn't show anything anyway
flippin'eck

Post by flippin'eck »

Should I worry about the steam? There's not a great deal of it, I'm quite possibly only noticing it because I'm 'looking for problems'. Honestly can't recall if it's any more or less than it's always done.. does everyone else get it when the engine's below full temp?
MartG

Post by MartG »

It's always there in the exhaust ( burning any hydrocarbon produces CO2 and H2O ) - just more noticeable in cold weather.
anthonyg

Post by anthonyg »

it will just be condensation from inside your exhaust, happens to every car in the winter and is why exhausts rot from the inside out
MartG

Post by MartG »

anthonyg wrote: and is why exhausts rot from the inside out

Moisture in the exhaust combines with soot deposits to form a weak carbonic acid solution :wink:
flippin'eck

Post by flippin'eck »

Thanks fellers, I guess I'll just keep a bit of a close eye on the levels and look of the fluids for a while :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”