[Mk2] [Turbo] MPH Clock acting strange (Video included)

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Steve-O 2007

[Mk2] [Turbo] MPH Clock acting strange (Video included)

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Hi,
Heres a video of my MR2's clocks going funny. When you flash the lights / turn them on or even blip the throttle it seems to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_hxKeIIVpg

Anyone had this before and which area should I be checking?? (Just trying to get as many suggestions as possible so I can check on the weekend)

Thanks
simmo490

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] MPH Clock acting strange (Video included)

Post by simmo490 »

corroded speed sensr on the back of the gearbox, makes it do funny things like that.

i was getting it when on boost.

itook the sensor apart and hard wired to the plug cutting out the corroded metal strips.

then waterproofed it and all was oK :)
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

simmo490 wrote:corroded speed sensr on the back of the gearbox, makes it do funny things like that.

i was getting it when on boost.

itook the sensor apart and hard wired to the plug cutting out the corroded metal strips.

then waterproofed it and all was oK :)

Thanks will look into that. Do you have a picture / diagram of where the sensor is located or is it easy to spot?

Thanks
L0rdMike

Post by L0rdMike »

Wow your car is fast 0-60 in like 2 seconds. :mrgreen:
Rory

Post by Rory »

I had something similar and it turned out to be a loose connection on my battery terminal.
My MR2 for sale! Check out the for sale section
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Rory wrote:I had something similar and it turned out to be a loose connection on my battery terminal.

Thanks, will also check that

L0rdMike wrote:Wow your car is fast 0-60 in like 2 seconds. :mrgreen:

I know and it wasnt even using any boost!!! Also it stops almost instantly hehe :thumleft: :thumleft:

was told on another site to check the Speedo Converter / Delimiter chip. Anyone know where to get a Converter / Delimiter chip from if it is that and whats the best one to go for?
Last edited by Steve-O 2007 on Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:
Rory wrote:I had something similar and it turned out to be a loose connection on my battery terminal.

I know and it wasnt even using any boost!!! Also it stops almost instantly hehe :thumleft: :thumleft:

aww buddy, i thought you were going to give that car a miss.. :cry: ...so many problems already, it's not what the mr2 experience should be...hope you get it all fixed up soon though :thumleft:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

mrtee wrote:
aww buddy, i thought you were going to give that car a miss.. :cry: ...so many problems already, it's not what the mr2 experience should be...hope you get it all fixed up soon though :thumleft:

I was but then I saw it in real life and had to have it hehe :mrgreen:. Its clean inside and out, No dents (except the one on the bonnet), No rust, no scratches and no stone chips. Decided that the modded Rev2 engine would have more than enough power for me for now and in say 2 - 3 years I will get a Rev3 conversion done on it. Plus the amount spent on it for parts alone came to something like £7,000+ Then the receipts from Rogue added upto £2,500 or something in the last few months!!!

Overall Im still enjoying it and I supose most 14+ year old cars will have the odd few problems. At least it gives me something to do on it while waiting untill Im 21 (in a months time) :thumleft:. Plus Its not realy a big problem, car drove home 110miles perfeclty fine. :thumleft:
Moo

Post by Moo »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:

was told on another site to check the Speedo Converter / Delimiter chip. Anyone know where to get a Converter / Delimiter chip from if it is that and whats the best one to go for?

Twosrus for the clamping delimeter :thumleft:

http://www.twosrus.co.uk/product_info.p ... cts_id=192
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

If it is the delimiter I will order one of them thanks..

Whats the Ebay delimiter like?? -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0201458039
Moo

Post by Moo »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:If it is the delimiter I will order one of them thanks..

Whats the Ebay delimiter like?? -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0201458039

I wouldn't bother. Something similar was fitted to mine when I bought it. It converts the speed signal coming from the gearbox from KPH to MPH which has the effect of moving the speed limit to 180mph I believe. There are 2 downsides of this type of delimeter. The first is that you have to cut one of the wires in the loom that plugs into the back of the clocks to make this thing work. The second is that your power steering wont turn off until 80mph when it should be turning off at 50mph. Makes the steering feel really light when cruising at 70mph on the motorway, not nice!

The twosrus delimeter is more expensive but a far better buy as there's no wire cutting involved. It's well easy to fit as it just screws right onto the back of the clocks into holes that are already there. It's also got some fancy electronincs on it that gets rid of the speed limit and sorts out the power steering so it turns off at 50mph like it's supposed to. It has a switch where you can select if you want to read in kph or mph depending on which dial face you have. The ebay delimeter means you'd have to get an mph dial face.

I'd recommend shelling out the extra and going for the twosrus clamping delimeter. I've got one and they're excellent. If you do some searching you'll find plenty of posts about this with more in depth information as to how it works :thumleft:
Moo

Post by Moo »

Just to add, I seem to remember Bailey had similar problems with his speedo and it turned out to be a cheap delimeter chip fitted to the speed sensor on the gearbox that was causing the problems. As Simmo has already suggested, check that area and see what's going on!
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Took the clocks off and it has a cheap Ebay style delimiter / converter fitted. It has 4x Wires comming from a black box. 3 of them are going to the back of the clocks and the other one is connected to the Purple wire of the main wiring loom of the clocks.

Just need to remove it and join the Purple wire back up to the plug.

Will let you know what happens
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

the assist reduces at 65km/h which obv changes to 65mph when using a cheap delimiter but at 70mph there should be no difference between the units.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

looks like it was the Delimiter / Converter that was the problem, removed it and it stopped going funny

Thanks
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

just wondering, anyone got an installation diagram for one of these 4 wire delimiter / converter chips?? Maybe it was installed wrong?

Thanks
Moo

Post by Moo »

AFAIK if the wires are wrong the speedo wont work full stop.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Moo wrote:AFAIK if the wires are wrong the speedo wont work full stop.

ah so it must be wired up properly then.
Moo

Post by Moo »

Yeah i'd say so. I had one of those chips once and took it off without noting which wire went where. Went to put it back on and it took me ages to find the right order to get the speedo working again!

Do yourself a favour and bin that chip for a clamping delimeter :thumleft:
draz1k

Post by draz1k »

i have the same problem, but it only happens when i accelerate hard, it shoots up, then when i back off it goes to my current speed, i have ordered a clamping one, to replace the xxxx one i had rouge install, is it difficult to disconnect the flea bay unit without damaging something?"!

Return to “Mechanical”