[Mk2] [Turbo] t-bar/recommended importers?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bill

[Mk2] [Turbo] t-bar/recommended importers?

Post by bill »

hi folks, looking at getting a rev3 turbo next, currently have a williams clio, which i'm about to sell, got a few questions

Is it worth hanging around for a t-bar mr2? or is it not worth the hassle? also what do you do with the t-bar when you take it off, is there a special place in the car for it to go? or do you just stick it in the boot, or will it not fit in the boot?

is there a link anywhere which shows the differences between the revisions? inparticular how the rev 3 is different to a rev 1/2

can anyone recommend a good garage/importer northwest way?

cheers
Charged
IMOC Committee

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] t-bar/recommended importers?

Post by Charged »

Hi,

T bar models are good from the posing aspect, but in practice not so good, they leak, T bars models weigh more (due to extra strengthing) and are less rigid.
Personally I would never buy a T bar ever again as I got fed up of having a wet ar*e

Try a search for a difference between the Revs, Rev 3+ did away with the AFM, has bigger injectors, different turbo... good for 240BHP.

With regards to garages/importers... steer clear and find a good private sale car... have a look in the forsale section. Any garage/importer will add at least a grand onto the sale price...
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Horses for courses with the t-bar my friend. I wouldn't buy one that wasn't. Most leaks are a v v easy fix and extra weight/less rigidity are only going to be noticeable on track at 95%, you'll never feel the difference on the road until your posing with the roof out in the summer.
Buy from a member on here rather than a garage and then ... enjoy.

R
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

PS. T-bars fit behind the seats when they're out with their own little seatbelt!
KrisMoyse

Post by KrisMoyse »

With all due respect nuts to the whole 't-bars leak / wet ar$e / extra weight' aspect.

I have a T-Bar, got it back in August last year. Only had less than a month to enjoy the sunshine but those few weeks were SO worth it.

You don't feel the difference in handling between the T-Bar and the hardtop when you're on the road. If you're like me and the 2 will be your every day car, you simply don't push it far enough on the road to tell the difference. I've driven both and when using it on the road normally or even when you put your put foot down you'll struggle to feel the difference.

The leaky t-bars are very easy to fix so don't be bogged down by that.

And finally there is nothing better than having the T-Bars off and going for a drive on a summer's evening with a tank full of super, a beautiful woman beside you and the sun fading behind the horizon as you rocket down the A and B roads, flowing from corner to corner.

My god I can't wait for the summer!

Try the above after dark too. Whack the heater on to warm and go out for a drive in the summer's night...makes having those removable roof panels all the more worth while.

If you want a track car or out-n-out racer get a hardtop and mod the ar$e of it.

But if you want a fast car to have fun in, an every day drive, something just for the summer and a nice civilised machine to relax and just cruise in.... in my personal opinion...it's yet to be beaten.

Power when you want it, peace when you need it...get a t-bar.

Think of it this way:

A mobile phone with loads of accessories. Internet, bluetooth, mp3 etc for £50

or exactly the same mobile phone with exactly the same accessories also for £50 but has a camera.

You may never use the camera but it's nice to have the option there...
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

Well put. I ajusted the window to stop my t-bar letting in water. About 30 min job. :thumleft:
bill

Post by bill »

ok, cheers for the replys guys, i'm still no better off lol, i can see both points of view with them now, i must admit i do like to drive hard and push my cars so that directs me towards a tintop, although the summer months are very appealing, the mrs has an eunos roadster (mx5) and its awesome in the summer with the roof down, well even on frosty november mornings its just as nice, suppose i'll have to have a good think about it, and see whats available when the williams is sold, soon touch wood!

i've had a browse in the for sale section on here and on piston heads, theres some very nice mr2's available :mrgreen:

looking forwards to it already, cheers for the advice :thumleft:
KrisMoyse

Post by KrisMoyse »

i must admit i do like to drive hard and push my cars

Is this on a track or on the road?

if track - TINTOP
if road - T-Bar
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

Bill if you import one mate you can get loads for your money.

http://www.dnacars.co.uk/

Its based in the south but i got a mint impreza! Pics will follow next week but trust me its worth it.
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

bill wrote:hi folks, looking at getting a rev3 turbo next, currently have a williams clio, which i'm about to sell, got a few questions

Is it worth hanging around for a t-bar mr2? or is it not worth the hassle? also what do you do with the t-bar when you take it off, is there a special place in the car for it to go? or do you just stick it in the boot, or will it not fit in the boot?

is there a link anywhere which shows the differences between the revisions? inparticular how the rev 3 is different to a rev 1/2

cheers

where abouts in the northwest are you? sure there will be more than a few willing people to help you on your search, show you what to look out for etc!
bill

Post by bill »

KrisMoyse wrote:

if track - TINTOP
if road - T-Bar

both :twisted:
bill

Post by bill »

nakamura wrote:Bill if you import one mate you can get loads for your money.

http://www.dnacars.co.uk/

Its based in the south but i got a mint impreza! Pics will follow next week but trust me its worth it.

cheers for the link pal, i'll keep it in mind :wink:
bill

Post by bill »

Neil_turbo wrote:
bill wrote:hi folks, looking at getting a rev3 turbo next, currently have a williams clio, which i'm about to sell, got a few questions

cheers

where abouts in the northwest are you? sure there will be more than a few willing people to help you on your search, show you what to look out for etc!

hi mate, i'm from Blackburn, but i'm willing to travel a bit :wink:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

bill wrote:
KrisMoyse wrote:

if track - TINTOP
if road - T-Bar

both :twisted:

t-bar is more fun but apart from that there will be no difference...people say that there's a 40 kg difference but once you start modding its going to make no difference what so ever to how much power you want and how fast you want, in fact some of the fastest mr2's in the world are t-bars... :-k

i think they're so much fun and the faster the better :wink:

p.s. welcome to the site mate and good luck with choosing your new car :thumleft:
bill

Post by bill »

cheers pal, its a hard decision but i'm sure i'll get there, but i must say IT HAS TO BE BLACK!.....................................failing that RED! :mrgreen:
Rev2_mike

Post by Rev2_mike »

I've had 2 t-bars and 1 tin top - currently got a t-bar - yes they leak a little in very heavy rain, so what, when its a fine day and the glass is out they're really worth it IMO. I missed the t-bar as soon as i had a tin top and TBH you'd have to be really pushing it to notice a difference, probably way beyond most 'average' peoples driving abilites - my advice - go for a t-bar and look forward to enjoying it this summer!
Rev2_mike

Post by Rev2_mike »

bill wrote:cheers pal, its a hard decision but i'm sure i'll get there, but i must say IT HAS TO BE BLACK!.....................................failing that RED! :mrgreen:

And yes...... black IS the colour to go for :twisted: Red's not bad mind 8)
fozzy rev3

tinny..

Post by fozzy rev3 »

i know you guys love ur tbars...

but..

I have to put 'ones cat' amongst ur pigeons.. :mrgreen:

..what are you guys talking about.. tin tops are what the 2s all about - they just dont look right (actually, slightly dated) with a tbar..

and your probably guessing right here.. yep I have a tin top - and possibly 200 or so new IMOC hate mails coming my way...

=; people are entitled.. he did ask.. :whistle:
KrisMoyse

Post by KrisMoyse »

Rev2_mike wrote:I've had 2 t-bars and 1 tin top - currently got a t-bar - yes they leak a little in very heavy rain, so what, when its a fine day and the glass is out they're really worth it IMO. I missed the t-bar as soon as i had a tin top and TBH you'd have to be really pushing it to notice a difference, probably way beyond most 'average' peoples driving abilites - my advice - go for a t-bar and look forward to enjoying it this summer!

Amen to that.

You won't notice the difference in handling. Get a t-bar and pray for sunshine, you won't be disappointed I guarantee...

(not only that when you come to resell your 2 you may get more for it as you can class it as a convertible...always a great selling point...)
nakamura

Re: tinny..

Post by nakamura »

fozzy rev3 wrote:i know you guys love ur tbars...

but..

I have to put 'ones cat' amongst ur pigeons.. :mrgreen:

..what are you guys talking about.. tin tops are what the 2s all about - they just dont look right (actually, slightly dated) with a tbar..

and your probably guessing right here.. yep I have a tin top - and possibly 200 or so new IMOC hate mails coming my way...

=; people are entitled.. he did ask.. :whistle:

Totally agree with the looks thing. But depending on colour you car get away with it.
Black, Sonic Shadow with Dark roof, any dark colour.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”