[Mk2] [Turbo] !!! REV2 Turbo Mappable ECU !!!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JMR_AW11

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] !!! REV2 Turbo Mappable ECU !!!

Post by JMR_AW11 »

PFrazier wrote:Fantastic news. :)

Yes, even I'm quite excited as I think I've managed to come up with a system that is accessable to all.

Some people will just want a basic set of mods (level1) and they can upload these and have the car checked on a rolling road.

Others can use level 2 and tweak their own main fuel and ignition maps (with access to a rolling road)

More advanced users can real time tune it with real time map tracking as they tune it.

There's also the panic switch to lock the ECU into stock maps.

Also the datalogging is available at all levels (even in stock/panic mode as the stock ECU code supports datalogging)
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Congrats on finishing the first one, fantastic :clap:
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

:mrgreen:
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Jeremy, just to add, you may already know this but you will need to become Affiliated before you start selling these on IMOC. Lending one out to Luthor1 is fine though :)

Please contact Speedy if you want to become an Affiliate, thanks.
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

Congrats Jeremy. I noticed you said that the you connect the ecu to the pc via serial rs232, will something like this http://www.new-forest-electronics.co.uk ... RS232).htm a USB to serial lead work as a fair few new laptops wont have the serial connection any more.
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

I believe a USB to Serial convertor cable will do it ;)
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

big congrats mate, very very excited, all becomes worth the hard work, how many will you be producing for your first batch??
:mrgreen:
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

I will be getting the ECU next weekend and will be in contact with Ryan at 2BarTuning to see if he wants to be the first to put a map together for it!!
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

oooh its like christmas has just come super early this yr :lol:
Gersen

Post by Gersen »

Still working on a cast rather than machined ally spacer option btw Jeremy.

Never has a man been as pleased as me.....

....could only be better if a bleeding hearts liberal wuss government were to catch me speeding at 250mph outside a School for orphans with the crossing guard spread eagle on my bonnet whilst smoking crack and shooting nuns with a machine gun only to find that I'd been sentenced to.....

....a driver improvement scheme in F1 cars at Spa followed by being covered in honey and thrown to hungry naked super models as penance for my crimes.

Too much?

*sigh* Fine then - it's like Christmas come really early :P

I'm really pleased! :mrgreen:
Why thank you - I grew it myself you know
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

Gersen wrote:Still working on a cast rather than machined ally spacer option btw Jeremy.

Never has a man been as pleased as me.....

....could only be better if a bleeding hearts liberal wuss government were to catch me speeding at 250mph outside a School for orphans with the crossing guard spread eagle on my bonnet whilst smoking crack and shooting nuns with a machine gun only to find that I'd been sentenced to.....

....a driver improvement scheme in F1 cars at Spa followed by being covered in honey and thrown to hungry naked super models as penance for my crimes.

Too much?

*sigh* Fine then - it's like Christmas come really early :P

I'm really pleased! :mrgreen:

Hi Tom

I got the first batch of 'mk2' spacers today. (qty 10)

These are made of aluminium and are apparently quite awkward to make.

They look really good to me but they may be too expensive even in volume :(

I've not had a formal costing for these yet but I think the supplier would rather make them out of coated steel as they would be easier to cut/weld.

Do you know much about phosphate dipped steel? It's some sort of pre treatment prior to painting and this is what the supplier prefers to make these spacers from.

I've not tried one in an ECU yet but they measure up correctly so they should be fine.

Gersen

Post by Gersen »

They look bloody lovely Jeremy :thumleft:

JMR_AW11 wrote:

....they may be too expensive even in volume :(

I've not had a formal costing for these yet but I think the supplier would rather make them out of coated steel as they would be easier to cut/weld.

Do you know much about phosphate dipped steel? It's some sort of pre treatment prior to painting and this is what the supplier prefers to make these spacers from.

Iron or zinc phosphate dipping or spraying is carried out where mild steel products need good corrosion resistance - usually before powder coating. It involves a secret blend of 7 herbs and spi.....

...well usually fairly unpleasant solvents (trichloroethylene or simmilar) as degreasers and what not. Usually heated too.

Welding aluminium is a more fiddly that steel/iron as it requires a good feed of weld which is thinner than steel weld hence easier to f00k up - it's not actually difficult but it is easy to make a 'male chicken' up compared to welding steel.

Don't take this as gospel though as I'm no expert on welding and my skills are distinctly 'bodge it and leg it' level.

Don't know what you are thinking of as too much but I spoke to our machinist today and he thinks you were onto the right track with the welding steel - well it was what he suggested anyway.

I've called all the usual suppliers and they have no source for 160mm x 170mm stock so that's a dead end as of now :(

Is there anyone out there in IMOC land that know of a source for ally or steel 170 x 160 mm stock box section?

If I can borrow one of the new spacers temporarily I'll take this to a place I know that makes bits for F1 cars that I may have a close relative working at (custom rear sets don't make themselves you know :mrgreen:) and see if there is something he can do as he's pretty cunning (well.....happy to abuse the equipment at work for his own ends at least :) )

I haven't given up yet as there is a cheap elegant solution out there but I'm (temporarily at least) stumped. #-o

I'm trying to figure out where I can get a supply of the casings themselves - lots of dead MR2 about with the same shape box - bolt two together?
PFrazier

Post by PFrazier »

Gersen wrote: I'm trying to figure out where I can get a supply of the casings themselves - lots of dead MR2 about with the same shape box - bolt two together?
This may be a very good idea, if a cheap source of ECUs can be found. Looks like you could slice a ECU case into a couple spacers.
Last edited by PFrazier on Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

I have a spare Mk2 ECU case I can send someone to cut up, if anyone wishes....?

Its from a Rev1 N/A, but the same dims, I presume..?
Gersen

Post by Gersen »

From measuring you would get two spacers out of an old ECU including wastage from cutting.

Anyone got a pile of dead Toyota ECUs they don't want :)
PFrazier

Post by PFrazier »

I was just looking at a couple spare ECUs I have. The REV1 ECU case is 35mm deep while the REV2 ECU case is 30mm deep.
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

Hmm..
Looking at the above pix of the custom spacer, there would be a problem using stock ECU cases, as there is virtually a whole side missing where the AMP connector goes... :cry:

It would be a bodge, at very least.....!

It would be easier to have the alu top plate made, with the sides folded down and extended to cover the extra gap.
Then you could simply use a 10mm (or whatever the measurement is) spacer for the 4 corners, and longer screws....?
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

Went up to see Jeremy today with Gersen, fitted his ECU and am now driving round putting mileage on it.

Was literally 5 minutes to bolt and plug it in.

No more Fuel Cut defenser needed just raise the boost limit, no more speed limiter, choose your RPM limit, when the T-VIS opens, what air temp the T-VSV shuts down at and comes in at, and monitor EVERYTHING you can think of on a laptop screen live.

Then, later when you're more brave and have access to the appropriate equipment like a rolling road, you can adjust the fuel and Ignition maps to your hearts content.

Want to change the injectors to 540's or 740's? No problem, that will be a simple task too.

Well, it's still a little away on the software development front, which isn't a problem as we are now tasked with putting miles and miles on the production hardware.

Thanks for a great day Jeremy, now my head hurts from all the assembly language I'm going for a little lie down! My head is seeing numbers like in the matrix

:pale:
PFrazier

Post by PFrazier »

Awesome news :)
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

luthor1 wrote:Went up to see Jeremy today with Gersen, fitted his ECU and am now driving round putting mileage on it.

Was literally 5 minutes to bolt and plug it in.

No more Fuel Cut defenser needed just raise the boost limit, no more speed limiter, choose your RPM limit, when the T-VIS opens, what air temp the T-VSV shuts down at and comes in at, and monitor EVERYTHING you can think of on a laptop screen live.

Then, later when you're more brave and have access to the appropriate equipment like a rolling road, you can adjust the fuel and Ignition maps to your hearts content.

Want to change the injectors to 540's or 740's? No problem, that will be a simple task too.

Well, it's still a little away on the software development front, which isn't a problem as we are now tasked with putting miles and miles on the production hardware.

Thanks for a great day Jeremy, now my head hurts from all the assembly language I'm going for a little lie down! My head is seeing numbers like in the matrix

:pale:

Hi Andy
Thanks to you and Tom again for coming over to test the ECU. :D

It's was fun today and good to see it all running in a real car! It's difficult for me because I don't have regular access to a rev2 turbo to do trials etc.

BTW, the current diagnostics datalogger program I gave you actually records the history of knock activity (in degrees of correction) instead of recording mph in the datalog file. (purple trace on chart24.exe)

That's why it was showing zero all the time on the chart recording on that first test run.

I'll send you an updated version that records speed correctly.

I'll have a go at calibrating the boost guage on the ECU GUI with that data we took today. :D

Thanks again!
Jeremy

Return to “Modifications”