[Mk2] [Turbo] Boost/Map sensor

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

fossie

[Mk2] [Turbo] Boost/Map sensor

Post by fossie »

Where is this located on a REv1......think its next to the diag port but not sure..

Speaking with GTSChris and he mentioned that if i disconnect the vac pipe then this acts a FCD due to me car being a REV1...

Anyone know where it is...
raptor95GTS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Boost/Map sensor

Post by raptor95GTS »

open the engine lid and stand at the rear bumper looking forward. The MAP sensor is located to the right of the engine lid catch. Black in colour
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

it doesnt "act" as a FCD, it completely illiminates fuel cut, which is a bad way to go imo....
fossie

Post by fossie »

jimGTS wrote:it doesnt "act" as a FCD, it completely illiminates fuel cut, which is a bad way to go imo....

Why is that fella???
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

because you now have nothing cutting fuel if you boost way to high....
you only need the odd pipe to blow off, or set the boost controller wrong and youll hit 1.5+bar and blow the turbo, knock sensor or worse....
fossie

Post by fossie »

So if i set the boost beforehand (only gonna run 10/12psi) do you think it will be ok.......
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

should be ok....but you only need a split pipe, it to pop off and cause some damage...
fuel cut is placed on cars for a reason, completely illiminating it is taking a risk...
why not just buy a £17 FCD...thats all they cost.
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

I agree with Jim 100%, don't remove fuel cut, just raise it's limit. You're asking for trouble otherwise.

You wouldn't remove the rev limiter would you? Just set it higher! :mrgreen:
fossie

Post by fossie »

Ok so how easy are the FCDs to fit.......had a read on how to install them and it didnt seem as easy as i thought it was
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

i swear you only need to splice into one of the ecu wires, and ground the other and thats it...
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

you can fit the FCD at the SENSOR end rather than going into the ECU, it's less *complicated*.
fossie

Post by fossie »

luthor1 wrote:you can fit the FCD at the SENSOR end rather than going into the ECU, it's less *complicated*.

Dont suppose you can pm me a quick how to could you mate
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

fossie wrote:
luthor1 wrote:you can fit the FCD at the SENSOR end rather than going into the ECU, it's less *complicated*.

Dont suppose you can pm me a quick how to could you mate

i couldnt tell you the wire tho infortunatly, i havent used an fcd in quite a while now.....
im sure if you did a search you would find out which pin....
better yet get the fcd from the mr2 club shop over on mr2oc.co.uk, and it comes with an mr2 specific guide.
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

If you've got a REV2, then consider Jeremys' mappable standard ECU conversion. It's a lot more outlay, but allows access to everything you could ever need. We are currently putting miles on the production hardware as Jeremy perfects the ECU tuning software. Check it out in modifications.

I'll try and look up the wiring for you in the mean time.

Otherwise, set a grainger valve to 16psi and put it inline ahead of the FCD. That way it won't allow pressure to the sensor until 16psi is reached then it will fuel cut... :mrgreen:

Return to “Mechanical”