[All] [Generic] In-Car Camera

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

helencooke01

[All] [Generic] In-Car Camera

Post by helencooke01 »

Have done a search for this but it didn't really turn anything up.

Does anyone have a little camera in their car for recording track days etc?
I'll be doing a few more this year including the Ring in a few months and thought it might be cool to have a properly mounted camera to record the laps more efficiently than my mate recording a video on his mobile!!

So does anyone on here have a camera in their car and, if so, where is it mounted?

Thought it might be quite good to have one on top of the CD bin in between the two seats?

Ta
Helen
Olly P

Re: [All] [Generic] In-Car Camera

Post by Olly P »

I remember seeing someone made a bracket that fits onto the head rest mount of the passenger seat - once you've taken the head rest off.

Dunno where it is though :oops:
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

yeah, I recall reading an article where a camera was screwed onto the top of the storage box, and linked to a PDA in the dash.

I'm not a fan of the search function, so good luck with it.

Also, I do recall reading recording wasn't allowed on the Ring

although a quick search on youtube shows this isn't exactly enforced with typcial German efficiency.

hth

Ian
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Ian Geary wrote:yeah, I recall reading an article where a camera was screwed onto the top of the storage box, and linked to a PDA in the dash.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=93

I have bullet cameras in my car, linked to a CCTV harddisk recorder, probably overkill for the occasional use like trackdays. So I guess you'd be wanting to mount a camcorder? Headrest mount is the best I've seen for mounting something heavier than a bullet camera.
hicks

Post by hicks »

ive got one of those headrest mounts only problem is you cant have a passenger in the car when its there.

ontop of the storage box is another ideal place.

i used to use one of those window mounts with the suckers on that i stuck to the windscreen.

i also mounted a camera on the rear valance inbetween the exhaust facing backwards which was cool.
paul port

Post by paul port »

rfconcepts
the 'lipstick' camera is best - rectangular section - easier to know which way is up.
http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/waterproof_colour_sq.htm
Though there are better resolutions in their range. the C27 is 'VHS' quality

Just tape it to the top of the storage bin with a little blue-tack for stability.

Just know - Nurburgring, cameras are not allowed.
I used to hide it under a cap until I got caught (No Biggie)

See youtube mr2 nurburgring

paul
helencooke01

Post by helencooke01 »

Thanks for the replies :thumleft:

The RF Concept website looks perfect - there are a few on there suitable and the 'how to' thread is brilliant - just what I was looking for.

When I went to the Ring last year there were quite a few people holding camcorders as they went round - hardly ideal - and all of my laps were recorded by a mate using his camera phone. So thought I'd at least try to make a better go of it this time round :mrgreen:

Thanks again :eye:
Helen
adam3442

Post by adam3442 »

SLYME

Post by SLYME »

When I went to the top gear show (MPH 2007), there was a stall selling mounts for camcorders and the like.

I'll dig out the brochure tomorrow and let you know.
Stretchermunkey

in car cam

Post by Stretchermunkey »

Hi,
I know peter giddens from sbits hires in car cameras, I guess he will be able to advise you of best place to mount etc, might be better to hire on if it's only for occational use.
Steve
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

i use a bullet camera/hard disk too - no messing with discs/tapes etc :thumleft:
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

I got quite good results with like an overgrown bulldog clip which I think I bought from Maplins for about a fiver. I've just loked and they don't do them any more but it looks like half of this:

http://www.teamworkphoto.com/index.php? ... 31908f94b1

Do a google on 'camera clamp'.

I mount it on the cassette tape (your car must be more adanced than mine:-)) place between the seats (I open the door). I would also tether it so it doesn't go flying around if you have a prang.

helencooke01 wrote:Have done a search for this but it didn't really turn anything up.

Does anyone have a little camera in their car for recording track days etc?
I'll be doing a few more this year including the Ring in a few months and thought it might be cool to have a properly mounted camera to record the laps more efficiently than my mate recording a video on his mobile!!

So does anyone on here have a camera in their car and, if so, where is it mounted?

Thought it might be quite good to have one on top of the CD bin in between the two seats?

Ta
Helen
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

It ell a lie re maplin they do seem to do it still:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... ra%20Clamp

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”