[Mk2] [Generic] Dealer xxxxx me over - How much to fit air con?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

IAMWALRUS

[Mk2] [Generic] Dealer xxxxx me over - How much to fit air con?

Post by IAMWALRUS »

So I bought my mr2 the other day, and when checking the car I guess I mistook the rear window de-mister for the air con button. Looks like my car does not have air con at all as advertised?

I assume I have the right to return the car as being falsely advertised or try to get money off for the lack of air con.

Can anyone tell me how much it would cost to fit an air con unit in an NA, so I know how much I could get off if I don't want to return it. :roll:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Dealer xxxxx me over - How much to fit air con?

Post by Lauren »

Retro fitting air con is a serious PITA.

Is it a MK2 or MK3?

I'm sorry to say but if you want an MR2 with aircon then you'll have to get another realistically.

I guess this is what happens when you don't check a car thoroughly before buying. However, what is done is done, but i really don't think retro-fitting is a viable option.

Where did you buy from? Was it a dealer, a trader or was it private?

You may be able to return the car but if you bought the car 'sold as seen' then you may have some issues with that.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
paul port

Post by paul port »

All Japanese cars came with Climate Control as standard...

UK cars did not... and as plain-old 'Aircon' was a £2500 option... not many people would have had it fitted.

If you want Aircon, Buy another car.

Paul
IAMWALRUS

Post by IAMWALRUS »

So how much could I get off the car if I decide I want to keep it? £500?

It was bought from a dealer, so I guess I could get a refund if they don't want to cough up for being falsely advertised.
paul port

Post by paul port »

What value do YOU put on Aircon??
Caribbean_Blue

Post by Caribbean_Blue »

If you want aircon - open the window. Really not worth it anyways.

Are you sure it doesn't have aircon??
Running: 313.8BHP @ fly and 285lb torque on 1.15bar.
MY MR2 FOR SALE: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=109986
2Crooky

Post by 2Crooky »

Is it a t-bar???

If so air con is a waste of time!!

The summers never get hot enough for you to prefer it over the windows down.......

As for getting money back. In the description of the car for sale, does it clearly say the car has air conditioning????? I imagine if it was a trade sale then you may have some comback over false advertising but you may just get told to f*** off........

Depends how much you paid for the car, and no you would never get £500 back just for air con missing. If the value of air con was that much then prices of all import MR2's would be a fair bit higher.
IAMWALRUS

Post by IAMWALRUS »

How much is aircon worth then? £10?
2Crooky

Post by 2Crooky »

Difficult to say mate.........

If you were buying the car say in Florida then air con is extremely necessary, so it would help the for sale price a fair wedge. But we are in a wet, cold UK climate and realistically most people just use the hot air blower in the winter and windows down in the summer.

Many of the systems don't work either because they never get used, never get regassed, and so have very little use on the once or twice a year the knob is turned.

Prices for MR2's have hit rock bottom as of late and you are able to pick up a good condition rev 3+ tubby for £3000 with the extras like air con and leather.

On a newer car with a much higher resale value, the luxury of air con could make a £100-200 difference i spose, but on a mid 90's jap sports car that has bottomed out of the market, air con or no air con makes no massive difference. If the trader is a nice guy and admits his fault then he may give you £50-100 cashback if you are lucky.......

Just my opinion so don't take it as gospel :thumleft:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

if the car was advertised as having air con and it turns out it doesn't then take it back and get your money returned then go buy a car that has air con. :thumleft:
RST

Post by RST »

For me air con is worth as much as it takes to wind the window down. Had a few cars fitted with it and never used it in just about any car (too dry for me) and not really worth it in the UK anyway. However, if you've bought a car from a dealer and been told it was fitted (without checking) then go back. Buggers that they are and'll fobb you off, most of the tradesman I know will help to some extent (though they're not the ben sherman suit types). Though in my oppinon, it's not really worth fitting in the UK (if it's a T-Bar with leather, consider this, my interior hit's +30deg on a sunny day but I still wouldn't fit it 'cos I can wind down a window).

...re the "sold as seen comment" Watchdog hit on this years ago. I always sell anything worth anything with a receipt and copy with this written on. It's a get-out clause for the seller meaning you've bought it as YOU saw it regardless of what's been said, though it's not commonly known if I remember. I doubt dealerships will sell cars with this on the deal. More of a private buyer peace of mind kind of thing.
RST

Post by RST »

Is it a t-bar???

If so air con is a waste of time!!

The summers never get hot enough for you to prefer it over the windows down.......
...you don't live in Scotland mate. Clear blue skies and roasting inside but can't take the glass out though 'cos it's raining at the time? Work that one out -I haven't. Great experience, seeing so much of the sky when it's raining. T-Bar issues aside-best way to be, T-BAR!!
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

paul port wrote:All Japanese cars came with Climate Control as standard...

Isnt it only the GT that had climate control? From reading up on them before buying one I thought the GT had Aircon/Climate control and the GT-S only had Aircon
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

I guess all imports came with aircon/climate. 2 buttons where a grommet would be fitted on a uk.

Mines got both g-limited rev3. one of the main reasons i bought import over uk
paul port

Post by paul port »

All japanese cars had climate control (two buttons on control panel)

UK cars had an Aircon option (One button) with a £2500 price tag
L0rdMike

Post by L0rdMike »

paul port wrote:All japanese cars had climate control (two buttons on control panel)

The 2 buttons are for the aircon, one full on aircon and one econ. The climate control is done by setting the power of the blowers to Auto and then moving the slider to what temp you want.
paul port

Post by paul port »

L0rdMike wrote:
paul port wrote:All japanese cars had climate control (two buttons on control panel)

The 2 buttons are for the aircon, one full on aircon and one econ. The climate control is done by setting the power of the blowers to Auto and then moving the slider to what temp you want.

Yes... I know... but was pointing out how you can tell what is fitted just by looking!!!!

A car with the second ECON button has Climate Control,
A car with only the ONE button has plain-old Aircon

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”