[Mk2] [Turbo] Help please!!! Tapping top end

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

zebidi

[Mk2] [Turbo] Help please!!! Tapping top end

Post by zebidi »

Hello all and hope everyone is ready for xmas,

I have major problem :(

Ok on the way up to the toyota sprint it smoked and the turbo seals have gone, I filled it up with too much oil.

I drained all of the oil and left it standing for about 6 weeks making sure everything was covered.

While the car was off the road I took the rocker cover off to spray and i replaced it back when I finished and everything is back together, now when i start the engine it taps and taps and taps an increases with engine speed.

Ok, Got a new turbo well 2nd hand one seals have gone on that too but wasn't me doing it. There is no intercooler connected up and I started the car with the bare throttle out.

It starts runs (im not driving it apart from moving it around the drive to work on it) but its the tapping that is killing me as even if i replaced the turbo it wont be 100%

The exhaust colour is white btw.

Someone please help me!
xistance

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Help please!!! Tapping top end

Post by xistance »

oooooh dear dave you had a look at the valves. are you 100% sure you got the timing right, tappets could need tightning, other than that dont know
zebidi

Post by zebidi »

how do i tighten them up? is it just below the rocker cover? :S
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

what revision is yours?

if its a rev 1/2 then take off the cam cover, get yourself a set of feeler gauges and check the clearance between the bottom of the cam lobe and the shim. check the BGB for the correct clearances. i would imagine that if its a too large gap, the cam lobe could 'Slap' the shim as it comes into contact, obv more revs, more force. also check the shims / buckets for wear (altho that will require removing the cams..

hopefully you will find 1 or 2 that are way out and you will just have to go toyota and get a couple of shims that are a lil fatter. (obv to spec!)
zebidi

Post by zebidi »

I love you Ryan!!!

Also, is the replacement of the oil pump a pig to do? I think I need a new one, its a rev3 im afraid :(
steve b

Post by steve b »

Oil pump will be a pain. Cambelt off etc

The tapping could be due to something sticking due to it being out of oil for 6 weeks. You have a rev3 so its shim under bucket for its unfortunately a camshaft out to reshim job.. but why should clearances change effectivly overnight,.. unlikely they have.

Not something simple like a wire hitting a pully?
zebidi

Post by zebidi »

hmmm... well its a tap and increases with engine speed. i'd hate to think it was something else other than the valvetrain

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”