[All] [Generic] What carbon fibre parts are people generally after?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

cantfindausername

[All] [Generic] What carbon fibre parts are people generally after?

Post by cantfindausername »

I caught up with a friend at the weekend who has set up a company making carbon fibre parts, including one off pieces.

They're main focus currently is Skylines, Evos, Posches and Ferraris, but he said he will do group buys and one offs no problem.

I know there have been a lot of CF interest posts, potential group buys and so on, so I'm not expecting a huge amount of interest, but I said I would get his name out on the forum because of all the carbon fibre products I have seen, these were leagues above them!

I had a look round his R34 skyline demo car and it was like a factory carbon special. Carbon front splitter, bonnet, front wings, skirts, rear quarters, boot and spoiler were all carbon. The only part that they didn't make was the spoiler.

The fit of the bonnet, wings and all parts made by them was factory fit. I kid you not!!

We spent a long time discussing the parts, possibilities and processes they use. They work on the basis that you can view the parts before you pay for them. They have that much confidence in their work, and after seeing it first hand, I can understand why. The main guy that does the CF work has been doing it for in excess of 15 years.

My first enquiry was about standard carbon bonnets as they is always a shortfall of these, and I've already got a spare bonnet for the tooling.

What other pieces would people have a serious interest in getting made either as a one off or as part of a group by?

Think what I'd like to see is a list of names and parts really that I could start enquiring about.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of the car, but those people that know me, know I am a fussy fvcker when it comes to aftermarket body panels/kits.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Wade

Re: [All] [Generic] What carbon fibre parts are people generally after?

Post by Wade »

My dream mate would be a carbon fibre dashboard, but couldnt see myself affording such an item.

However i am deadly serious about having the dash trim in carbon fibre (the bit around the stereo/heaters) and where the gear stick is.

Good find mate \:D/
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

It'd be great to see someone making bits for the 2 in carbon I think all the usuall suspects when it comes to carbon, wings/bonnets/engine lids ( PP style too :pray: ) bootlids etc.

Personally Id love to see:
vented or un-vented frunk slam panels (for those using border bonnets or not).
Carbon door card inserts,
Front air ducts (replacing standard fogs for ducting to front brakes)
Heat / rain shield for induction kit
TB to Intercooler pipe
Dash plastics
Border style vented front wings
:thumleft:
cantfindausername

Wade wrote:My dream mate would be a carbon fibre dashboard, but couldnt see myself affording such an item.

However i am deadly serious about having the dash trim in carbon fibre (the bit around the stereo/heaters) and where the gear stick is.

Good find mate \:D/

I tried having that done by one company and i can't believe how crap this guy was. Really put me off getting anything made again.

I could certainly ask about them though as I know they would be popular. The dash is already available in Japan by 00 parts I think it is.

Mat, I like the idea of CF pipework. Not something I've ever thought about I know that! And also the brake vents, likin those ideas.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

carbon fiber front fenders would be beautiful possibly with a red and black carbon weave if he would do it lol!

carbon is just stunning the more parts the better would love to remove the sunroof and tin top and have a carbon roof....(dream land lol)

but my plans for my car would possibly be stripped out lightweight NA this guy could be reaally useful lol
steve

Post by steve »

i'm still looking for a carbon rev3 light centre panel. with reverse light holes & key hole without mr2 stamped in the middle :thumleft:

race design do one without reverse light holes, raceonusa do one with mr2 stamped in the middle with all the right holes ](*,)
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

count me in for the standard style bonnet if it ever happens :)

paul
cantfindausername

Oh, and coloured carbon is not a problem for those that aren't keen on the black/grey look of bare carbon. :thumleft:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

removable clamshells :mrgreen:
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Was having a think last night and also thinking Headlight covers would sell quite well mate, easy to copy too :thumleft:

Re the fog light ducts I think it may actually be possible to alter a standard fog light to take a mould from :D
cantfindausername

One thing that I'd like to see if its possible to do is get the weave all matched across the panels. I could imagine it being mighty difficult to do that tho.

What you say about the fogs casings being modified, thats actually something I've thought about before too. I will probaly have a look into this when I get my car back.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

ant, i would give my left arm for a CF windscreen wiper cowling!
cantfindausername

ok. I think we're gonna need to just deliver a doner car and say "CF this" as we hand it over :lol:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

If I lend them my car can I have the parts free? :lol:
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

Bonnet
Wiper cowling
Canyards
Splitters
Bomex style scoops

:) Just a bonnet would be a good start
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I realy want a CF sunroof replacement as I hate my sunroof.

Bonnet, Engine lid, Frunk and a front splitter like the madpsi one would be awesome. Also something like this
would be pretty cool.

Isn't the idea with CF that it's light and strong? Doesn't that mean you could make suspension bits out of it? Wouldnt that be cool if you could reduce unsprung weight with CF suspension arms and other bits although I guess you would have to do allot more testing on stuff like that.
C50

Post by C50 »

ABFLUG ARCHES :thumleft:
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Race Idiot wrote:Doesn't that mean you could make suspension bits out of it?

Yes, for some parts, but the R&D youd need to put in would be astronomical (ie F1 budgets) to avoid catastrophic failure, they do already make carbon propshafts etc tho...
cantfindausername

CF is only strong in one way, the other way its very weak thats why there is a lot of reasearch needed when making stress baring parts out of it. If ya know what I mean.

ooo... I just had an idea. Maybe get the rogue fan surround made up in CF.

Just an idea of how strong the untreated stuff is, they got a length of it, and tied it between cars and managed to tow one with the other. :thumleft:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

cantfindausername wrote:ooo... I just had an idea. Maybe get the rogue fan surround made up in CF.

Stop it your making my mouth water now, and my wallet very nervous!

One thing we really really need that no one seems to do is a front wind splitter like the APR item, its just a flat curved sheet of carbon with 2 stainless stel props after all....

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”