[All] [Generic] Low profile trolley jacks -what do folk use?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RST

[All] [Generic] Low profile trolley jacks -what do folk use?

Post by RST »

Not sure if this is in the right place but went to change my tyre the other week and realised there's no way that the 2T trolly jack I carry in my tool kit will go under either my front bumper or side skirts. What do other folk carry with them (apart from an AA card -LoL)?

The original screw jack which comes with the car is fine but obviously I don't have clearance with the side skirts -I try not to use them where possible any way.

Looking at the cost of low profile trolley jacks, I'm thinking if I get a larger foot plate put on the original screw jack (say 8" x 8"), and weld a flat 4" steel disc + rubber layer on the top of it, then it would be stable / safe enough to use when it's not located on the sill seam. It would only ever be used at the road side -I've never had a puncture yet but I suppose it's tempting fate.

Cheers for any ideas,

Richard
mikey2

Re: [All] [Generic] Low profile trolley jacks -what do folk use?

Post by mikey2 »

Hi mate, i dont have any huge skirts on, but i still cant ge the trolley underneath anyway, so i use the scissor jack to get it high enough to get the trolley underneath. Works for me!!
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

I just put two house bricks, side by side, infront of each front wheel and then drive up onto them. This gives me enough room to get the trolley jack under the front (albeit standard) front lip.

hth?
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

mikey2 wrote:Hi mate, i dont have any huge skirts on, but i still cant ge the trolley underneath anyway, so i use the scissor jack to get it high enough to get the trolley underneath. Works for me!!

that`s not just what i do but its no hassle really and works just fine :thumleft:
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

I have the same problems with mine - but instead of the body kit I cant even get the jack under the front subframe or rear axle!

Machine Mart do a few low entry jacks. Clarke do a cheap low entry alloy jobber.

SIP also do a nice long body low entry jack (serious low) so perfect for getting unde the subframe etc and also has a really good lifting height.
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

i used to have wood blocks in the Frunk, so i could drive up on them and then get the jack underneath. just a single 3" thick cut down plank was easily enough to let the trolley jack get under the skirts..

are you saying you have a 2T trolley jack in your car / toolkit :?
Car now Sold :cry: damn 5th Lumber Disc !
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

AS mentioned above just get yourself a couple of pieces of wood to drive up on to then slide the jack underneath - I use a couple of pieces of 3x2

RST

Post by RST »

Yes, I've always got a 2T jack in the car -but never gave any thought to it till the other day.

Funny enough, I've also got a piece of wood which I always put under the scissor jack to give it a better base. I can't believe I never thought about about driving the car up on a wooden block.

DUUH me, carrying a couple more wooden blocks is the way to go.

Thanks!!!!

Richard
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

The wood for under the trolly jack wheels is because I am jacking up on tarmac which you shouldnt do directly - the wheels can sink in making the jack unstable...but if you do that the jack wont go under the sill - hence the block method. Where theres a will... :-)
-:[KM]:-

Post by -:[KM]:- »

RST

Post by RST »

Yea, those were the like of what I was looking at although that Argos price is ixpensive. I'll maybe pick one up anyway.

I guess I'll need to size the wood based on my tyre side wall depth as well -before I chuck some in the boot then realise it's still too low.
jacking up on tarmac which you shouldnt do directly - the wheels can sink in making the jack unstable
...that was a trick my old man showed me when I passed my test. I watched a mate jack himself down through the tarmack once. Not good for working on -or the road LoL.

Cheers,

Richard
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

a 6 foot length of 3x2 is only about £4.50 from a wood yard LOL! :-)
RST

Post by RST »

...or free if you use offcuts!!! Got stacks lying around at work.
RST

Post by RST »

Jeff, I wish'd I'd got hold of a few handbrake cable bits from you the other day. Have been hammering the little pin on the drivers side at the caliper for hours. It just popped out but my arm's totally aching -should have just cut through the little bu88er.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

If you cut your 3 x 2 into short lengths once you have jacked the car up you can then use them to suppoort your axle stands so they dont dig in either - you can just about make them out here

Handbrake bits here if you need them
http://www.flashmetal.com/parking-brake--cable-24-c.asp

Do you the correct parts - some idiot mechanic (I'm afraid to say an affiliate on here) used a bolt on mine which made my caliper seize on which nearlly caused a nasty comment. See below :-(

RST

Post by RST »

....hmm, I'll need to use a bolt till I can get hold of a couple of new pins. I thought I'd be able to pick up a couple locally -I can if I buy a full box at £55!!

I'll see if our mechanics at work have got a pair the right size on Monday morning -otherwise I'll order a pair from you.

Cheers,

Richard
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

£90 at costco gets you a stunning bit of kit. Aluminium and very strong. Is also very low and has a massive
Can't fault it at all, performs better than a friend £350 proffessional race one.lift on it.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Hi Jeff, :)

Can you elaborate on the pin required on the service part of the caliper rather than the incorrect bolt a mechanic might use in this location/part?
Have had previous headaches with seized calipers and would like to rule this out for future! ... :-k

£90 at costco gets you a stunning bit of kit. Aluminium and very strong. Is also very low and has a massive
Can't fault it at all, performs better than a friend £350 proffessional race one.lift on it.
:Extubby

Hi Extubby, :)

Do you have a link here sounds good, thanks. :thumleft:
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Correct Pin for securing handbrake cable to caliper:

http://www.flashmetal.com/handbrake-cab ... n-22-p.asp

Correct pin to go with above:
http://www.flashmetal.com/pin-95-p.asp
Harry

Post by Harry »

JeffD wrote:Correct Pin for securing handbrake cable to caliper:

http://www.flashmetal.com/handbrake-cab ... n-22-p.asp

Correct pin to go with above:
http://www.flashmetal.com/pin-95-p.asp

Right got you Jeff,

Many thanks once again

Best Regards,

Harry :thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”