Porsche Boxster drivers - bigger knobs than Beemer drivers?

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Re: Porsche Boxster drivers - bigger knobs than Beemer drivers?

Post by Tiamat »

tonigmr2 wrote:
You are making the luthor1 comparison there, LOL. Because you could beat one then automatically your car is better in some way? Or just as good perhaps?? Or perhaps more rewarding because it isn't as good but you still managed to keep up?

None are great reasons to prefer a poorer car over a better one though really are they? I'd suggest that if I were in the M3 or a Porsche or any supercar in that situation, I'd still be thinking I want the car I'm in rather than the one that was 'beating' me. But then I am not competitive on the road like that. :eye:
T

Actually Toni you have compeltely missed the point. I have not in anyway stated that my car is better. I have simply stated that to me it is more satisfying on the road to take an "inferior" car and use it to outperform a "superior" car than the other way round. If you know you have the better handling and straight line speed then you have nothing to test yourself against. Ont he road in question, we pulled onto an A road afterwards and he came past and left me for dust, but down the backroad I kept my car within the white lines at 60mph and he could not keep up with me. Had I been in a Porsche I would have felt no sense of satisfaction as I would have been disappointed if he had been kept up. The fact that my 15 year older car was putting distance between myself and him made me feel good about the car I was driving. I did not think that my car was better. Conversely, the guy in the BMW may have left me for dust on a straight road, but there must have been a moment when he was thinking what had he paid for. And before anyone starts, he was definately trying otherwise he would not have cut the corners in the manner he did - there was no need to cut the corners and it was a risk on visibility to do so. My point is that if you are an underdog you feel a greater satisfaction when you do well against a newer / more expensive vehicle.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I did get it, and I think I made the point if that's what makes you happy then :thumleft: But for me, I'd rather be the one in the Beemer. :eye:
T
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

In that case you would have been mega owned. :mrgreen:

Nick
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

tonigmr2 wrote:I did get it, and I think I made the point if that's what makes you happy then :thumleft: But for me, I'd rather be the one in the Beemer. :eye:
T

Naturally if I could have a more expensive car then I would prefer to.
Its all about the satisfaction we get from driving.
I bet I had more on that journey than he did.
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

just a quick question.. i thought the Ring was a public toll road ?
Car now Sold :cry: damn 5th Lumber Disc !
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

CosmosblueMR2 wrote:just a quick question.. i thought the Ring was a public toll road ?

It is. A public one-way toll road.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

Lauren wrote:
CosmosblueMR2 wrote:just a quick question.. i thought the Ring was a public toll road ?

It is. A public one-way toll road.

ah right thought so... you were just confusing me earlier then :thumleft:
(easily done!)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

CosmosblueMR2 wrote:
ah right thought so... you were just confusing me earlier then :thumleft:
(easily done!)

How so?

It is a race track though as well. But it is subject to normal German road law when it is open to the public.

It is a strange place indeed!
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

didn;t know it was a race track too.... so I'm getting confused ! :? - told you it was easy :lol:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

CosmosblueMR2 wrote:didn;t know it was a race track too.... so I'm getting confused ! :? - told you it was easy :lol:

It is a race track officially, that was the reason it was built. Arguably the greatest race track in the world bar none. It was built by Hitler in 1926. Certainly we have him to thank for the Ring.. :tongue:

It was used for the GP last one on the full Nordschleife circuit was 1976.

When it is open to the public it becomes effectively a one-way toll road which is subject to german road law. It is unrestricted apart from a few notable places where speed limits are in force. However these speed limits are never enforced so are ignored by the public. It still hosts the Nurburgring 24hr race, sort of a mental Le Mans type affair.. with a much more varied selection of cars competing.
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

Lauren wrote:It was built by Hitler in 1926. Certainly we have him to thank for the Ring.. :tongue:

Are you sure he was behind it? Hitler and the Nazis didn't hold any real power until a few year's later when the Wall St crash of 1929 sent Germany belly-up :-k
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

jmachling wrote:
Lauren wrote:It was built by Hitler in 1926. Certainly we have him to thank for the Ring.. :tongue:

Are you sure he was behind it? Hitler and the Nazis didn't hold any real power until a few year's later when the Wall St crash of 1929 sent Germany belly-up :-k

Yep pretty sure it was Hitler's idea, actually thats a good point, it is a bit early for hitler. Just been googling there are plenty of stories of hitler going to the nurburgring, but you are quite correct is in the 1930s.
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

Lauren wrote:
jmachling wrote:

Yep pretty sure it was Hitler's idea, actually thats a good point, it is a bit early for hitler. Just been googling there are plenty of stories of hitler going to the nurburgring, but you are quite correct is in the 1930s.

I just hate to think that barsteward was behind one of the finest circuits ever built. I'm sure he did much to popularise it, though.

Unfortunately, we do have him to thank for the Autobahns...grrr
Azzazzel

Post by Azzazzel »

If somone told you to jump in a fire would you? and whose fault would it be?

I'm fairly confident that there is always choice and his soldiers and sheep were the ones who commited most of the atrocities. They could always have laughed and called him a gibbering loon with a silly moustache.....

Ergo sum is he really responsible for all the things other people did? or is he just responsible for being a prize dick?
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

Hitler was perfectly correct, he was just MASSIVELY out when he decided on the *scale* of the project...
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

luthor1 wrote:Hitler was perfectly correct, he was just MASSIVELY out when he decided on the *scale* of the project...

Andy having not read all the last posts admittedly and before someone kicks off on here about your statement without reading everything: could you please clarify that statement as it reads in a VERY VERY bad light.
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

The Nurburgring - it should have been 28miles long at least :mrgreen:
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

luthor1 wrote:The Nurburgring - it should have been 28miles long at least :mrgreen:

Okay Andy :thumleft:
Just checking - you can no doubt realise how that could have been read!
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

luthor1 wrote:Hitler was perfectly correct

So you're saying he was behind it? I can't find any info linking him to it until after it was built. Creuz and Adenauer, yes. Hitler was in prison in 1924 and the Nazi party had it's lowest showing in the Reichstag in 1928 I think, so I can't see how he would have been in a position to suggest something like this when he was, in effect, a nobody until the 1930s. :-k
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Tiamat wrote:
tonigmr2 wrote:I did get it, and I think I made the point if that's what makes you happy then :thumleft: But for me, I'd rather be the one in the Beemer. :eye:
T

Naturally if I could have a more expensive car then I would prefer to.
Its all about the satisfaction we get from driving.
I bet I had more on that journey than he did.

Perhaps you were just the better driver and he just needs lessons. :wink:
edit: it's not just about what is more expensive, win or loose the car is better than the MR2 is the point I was trying to make. If you 'beat' him you did well (though tbh it is easy for most cars to beat most others, it's just a question of commitment, launch, and familiarity - I've seen a 2.0L Passat beat a 400bhp R33GTR simply because of those factors), but it doesn't change which is the better car.
T

Return to “Driving Experiences”