'95 Mr2 Gts Rev3 In Yellow, must go! ***SOLD***

MR2s for sale - all versions & variants

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ben.g

'95 Mr2 Gts Rev3 In Yellow, must go! ***SOLD***

Post by ben.g »

Your chance to own a modern classic in a very rare colour.

I am having to sell my MR2 because earlier this year i became a father and needed a bigger boot with 4 seats, so i bought my awesome dc2. I just can't afford both though and the mr2 has to go!

The car has covered 59k and has lots of history with lots of receipts from Japan and the UK. Literally thousands have been spent on building and maintaining the car.

It has just had a brand new bottom end rebuild at SBITs which is garanteed under a 12 month unlimted mile warranty along with the ATS Racing CT27 Turbo which has covered less than 100miles since fitted.

At its last dyno the car produced 331bhp @ 1.2bar. This was on a poorly CT20 turbo before the CT27 was fitted. I have graphs of past power runs and tuning sessions.

This car is not for the feint hearted, its loud and fast, therefore must be driven with care and repect considering its capabilities.

spec includes:
JE forged pistons
Brand new polished crank
ACL Race Performance Engine Bearings
HKS 1.2mm Metal Head Gasket
ATS Racing CT27 Turbo
RPS Street Max 6 Puck Clutch
HKS SSQV
Apexi Power Intake
5zigen single exit exhaust and decat
Apexi AVCR
Apexi Power FC and Commander
Greddy Intercooler with Cromed Hardpipes
Blue Samco Hoses and Mikalor Clips
NGK grade 6 spark plugs
Short Shift
Enkei RP01 17" wheels recently refurbed
Tyres:
front, Bridgstone S03 215/40/17 (lots or tread left)
rear, Toyo T1-R 255/40/17 (brand new)
JIC Magic FLT-A2 Flagship Model Coilovers
Cusco Front and Rear Strut Braces
Sparco Road Bucket Seats
Custom Airbrushed Cam Cover.

Any questions or quieries please call or tx me on 07792248383

£7500 but open to sensible offers

Last edited by ben.g on Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ben.g

Re: '95 Mr2 Gts Rev3 In Yellow, must go! ***SOLD***

Post by ben.g »

offers
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

best of luck with the sale Ben, not many rev3 turbos around in this colour (only know of my old one and Toni's old one!)

cheers

Neil
ben.g

Post by ben.g »

thanks neil \:D/
EarL

Post by EarL »

Ben,

Please contact me ASAP.

Glen.
EarL

Post by EarL »

As Ben is no longer replying to any correspondance/phone calls, I have no choice but to post this.

I exchaged cars with Ben, but was royally duped, and now have a car that is totally undrivable, and am faced with a £1700 repair bill, whilst Ben has my pristene Integra.

It's a real shame that Ben couldn't have been more honest in his description of the car, in that it's suffering from chronic piston slap. The sale price of £7500 would never have been realistically reached, had anyone known about this.

We met to exchange cars at a service station just outside Birmingham, last weekend. I arrived shortly after Ben. After looking at the MR2, and showing Ben around my Integra, I asked if he would like to go for a test drive. He said "No", and that if the cars had been driven this far, there would be no problem with them. I had no reason to disbelieve Ben, and obviously had every confidence in my Integra, as it was a real mint example that had been very well looked after. I had heard nice things about Ben, and I had researched the car well before contemplating exchanging with him.

We signed log books, and shook on the deal. Ben then jumped into the Integra, and drove off very quickly indeed. I finished packing what things I'd had in the Integra into the MR2, and drove out of the car park.

I'd been driving less than a mile before I noticed a rattle coming from the engine. It happened at low rpm, and under load.

The knock bar on the Power FC Commander read 100!!!!

I now had no way of ringing Ben to bring my car back, as my mobile phone is out of order, and will only recieve calls. I tried ringing his mobile from a call box, but got no reply, so I had no other option but to drive the car home, and try and call him from there.

The car seemed to drive fine at motorway cruising speeds, and showed no sign of the rattle. It was only under load that the noise appeared. This would explain the lack of rattle when I started the engine and listened to it at the service station. It has obviously got a lot worse since, and now sounds more akin to a diesel Transit than a 300+ bhp sports car.

Ben refused to answer his phone, and reply to any PM's/emails I sent. Instead, he got his MOTHER to ring me and try to fob me off with excuses.

I have since had several emails and phone conversations with Ben's mother Gina, and would like to say that whilst I she seems to be a very nice person (and I can even understand her trying to defend her son), she should never have been put in this position in the first place.

I have since had an email from Peter Gidden, saying that the car was indeed suffering from quite bad piston slap when he replaced the crankshaft a few WEEKS ago.

I, in no way wanted this to become a legal matter, but have been left with no other choice but to proceed with a law suit against Ben/Ben's mother, to try and recoup the cost of repairing the car. I have offered to swap back, whilst the car is being repaired, and would have even tried to contribute to the cost of the repair, but was met with such a negative attitude from both parties, I am now more determined than ever to recoup the full cost, which Peter Gidden has quoted at around £1700.

I can only say that I have been both shocked, and appaled by Ben's actions. Not only did he decieve me, but he has acted in such a cowardly manner, using his mother as a shield from any responsibility he may have regarding this situation. He is a grown man, with children, and yet he still seems to use his mother to fight his battles.

My appologies if this has burst anyone's bubble regarding Ben as a respected member of this community, but it just goes to show, you can't judge a book by it's cover.

I await Ben's reply.

Regards,

Glen Barnett (EarL).
Rev5GT

Post by Rev5GT »

VERY sad to hear this.......... Hope you get it sorted asap EarL... :thumleft:
I prefer to buy off club members because i hope there is an understanding and love for the cars as well as being honest and true to one another..... But hey ho s**t happens..... I hope Ben can come up witha solution that suits you both....

Rash
EarL

Post by EarL »

Rash wrote:VERY sad to hear this.......... Hope you get it sorted asap EarL... :thumleft:
I prefer to buy off club members because i hope there is an understanding and love for the cars as well as being honest and true to one another..... But hey ho s**t happens..... I hope Ben can come up witha solution that suits you both....

Rash

I sincerely hope so Rash.

However, some pretty damning evidence has been brought to my attention, that proves beyond a shadow of doubt that the car had a problem BEFORE it was sold, and that it was not put right before Ben and I exchanged cars. Nor was any mention of it made either at the time we exchanged, nor in the advertisement.

This is taken from a thread started by Ben on the OC:

Ben.G wrote:kenny its having a rebuild because the last guy that built it was a complete muppet and its never been right....yeah its powerful but i could never trust it with high oil comsumpsion, and about 2 months ago something broke. not sure what but there's a loud knocking sound which feels like its somewhere in the top end.

The original thread is below:

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/ForumsPro/viewto ... rt=15.html

2nd page in.

EarL.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

thats very sad to hear and as far as i can make out ben has crossed a line ...very poor show :twisted:

ben, sort it out mate because its only going to come back and bite you in the future :-k on past experiences you seemed like a nice enough lad and how would you feel if someone had done this too you....

[-X [-X
Amelio

Post by Amelio »

Truely appauling, not the way you want to step back into the MR2 scene.
I hope you get things sorted and it looks like a law suit is indeed the correct way ro proceed.

Good luck.
wiggee

Post by wiggee »

Thats a really a bad thing to do too anybody , he took advantage of your honesty :-s Hope you get compensation :thumleft:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

EarL wrote:We met to exchange cars at a service station just outside Birmingham, last weekend. I arrived shortly after Ben. After looking at the MR2, and showing Ben around my Integra, I asked if he would like to go for a test drive. He said "No", and that if the cars had been driven this far, there would be no problem with them. I had no reason to disbelieve Ben, and obviously had every confidence in my Integra, as it was a real mint example that had been very well looked after. I had heard nice things about Ben, and I had researched the car well before contemplating exchanging with him.

Oh EarL, that is bad luck. :(

Never buy a car without going for a test drive though.. i know, hindsight and all that. Trouble is if you've bought it 'sold as seen' its going to be tricky to get any joy on that.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
EarL

Post by EarL »

Lauren wrote:
EarL wrote:We met to exchange cars at a service station just outside Birmingham, last weekend. I arrived shortly after Ben. After looking at the MR2, and showing Ben around my Integra, I asked if he would like to go for a test drive. He said "No", and that if the cars had been driven this far, there would be no problem with them. I had no reason to disbelieve Ben, and obviously had every confidence in my Integra, as it was a real mint example that had been very well looked after. I had heard nice things about Ben, and I had researched the car well before contemplating exchanging with him.

Oh EarL, that is bad luck. :(

Never buy a car without going for a test drive though.. i know, hindsight and all that. Trouble is if you've bought it 'sold as seen' its going to be tricky to get any joy on that.

I agree totally Lauren, and I could absolutely kick myself for not doing so, but having read so much about the car, and hearing such glowing references about Ben, I had no reson to disbelieve anything he said.

I hate mistrust, and really do try to be trusting of everyone I meet. Perhaps this will teach me a valuable lesson. It's certainly a bitter pill to swallow given my present circumstances... :(

EarL.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Have to say Earl the law is not on your side. If he says he sold it in good faith and didn't know there was a problem (which may or may not be true), there is very little you can do. Private sellers are assumed to be 'non-experts' in the law, you are very probably going to loose even if you pursue it.
T
EarL

Post by EarL »

tonigmr2 wrote:Have to say Earl the law is not on your side. If he says he sold it in good faith and didn't know there was a problem (which may or may not be true), there is very little you can do. Private sellers are assumed to be 'non-experts' in the law, you are very probably going to loose even if you pursue it.
T

Toni,

A quote from a consumer law web site:

"If you can show that the vehicle did not meet its description the seller will be liable under consumer law, even if the seller believed the description to be true. It will strengthen your claim if you have written proof of the false statement, for example, an advertisement."

If I don't try, this maggot will have won, and I'll be faced with a £1700 bill. Apart from that, I have Legal Aid, so it will cost me nothing.

EarL.
Rev5GT

Post by Rev5GT »

Without getting in to it too much even private sellers have a responsibility to make sure a car they sell is 'fit for purpose' - a car with a knackered engine is clearly not fit for purpose.. and reading the other thread Ben knew about a certain 'knocking' sound therefore if EarL was to pursue i'm 101% sure he'd win.... sold as seen isnt worth the paper its written on whether you are a trader or a private seller..

Rash
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I am only going by advice I got from the AA legal department - consumer law does not apply to a private seller. If he claims he couldn't have reasonably known, you may have a problem. I agree previous posts in public might help you, but he could still claim he thought it fixed. Really, they told me it didn't matter if you drove 10 yards and the engine fell out, a private seller cannot be held liable. edit: i.e. if the seller 'thought' it was 'fit for purpose' he is assumed to be a non-expert and not liable.

If it's free though perhaps you want to give it a whirl (I thought it was bloody impossible to get legal aid nowadays, so that's a bit of a result). Surely small claims court is a better way to go though, you stand more chance there.
T
ancient mariner

Post by ancient mariner »

heyup glen,really sorry to read this mate.i would have thought that with the evidence of his post,admiting to being aware of engine damage prior to the sale he would not have a leg to stand on legaly.even more to the point if he was aware what a total ar$ehole the guy must be.one can only hope that what goes around comes around.if you need a place to stay when you come to give him a knock,you know where i am.paul. :(
EarL

Post by EarL »

tonigmr2 wrote:I am only going by advice I got from the AA legal department - consumer law does not apply to a private seller. If he claims he couldn't have reasonably known, you may have a problem. I agree previous posts in public might help you, but he could still claim he thought it fixed. Really, they told me it didn't matter if you drove 10 yards and the engine fell out, a private seller cannot be held liable. edit: i.e. if the seller 'thought' it was 'fit for purpose' he is assumed to be a non-expert and not liable.

If it's free though perhaps you want to give it a whirl (I thought it was bloody impossible to get legal aid nowadays, so that's a bit of a result). Surely small claims court is a better way to go though, you stand more chance there.
T

Put it this way Toni...

...either way, I will get satisfaction. :evil:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Small claims court is your best bet legally - I've been told if you take it there they assume on behalf of the claimant, and you will make him attend to defend it at least. If you break your claim up into parts and are only proved right on one bit of it you win for that part + all costs. But if you loose, you may have costs to pay.

(I am sure Malcolm will be along at some point to put me right if I'm incorrect on this, but as I say, this was advice given to me by an AA legal advisor).
T

Return to “MR2s for Sale”