1998 Ford fiesta

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

THE DUKE

1998 Ford fiesta

Post by THE DUKE »

My little 1.4 Ghia Zetec Fiesta.

Had if for a while now, race the ass off it everyday, never uses any oil 40mpg all day long. Not one thing has ever gone wrong with it! Handles great in the corners (Honest) and its 90bhp engine pulls well for its 70,000 mile status.

My MR2 Turbo

Owned for 5 years, spent £££££'S on it... Still does not work, sit's in drive getting drity. Everything in the wolrd has gone wrong with it.

To to summerize - Fiesta 1 / MR2 0
Quigonjay

Re: 1998 Ford fiesta

Post by Quigonjay »

:lol:
#-o
unlucky dude
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

Dude, same here.

My 1987 1.1L Rosso Red (that's right... Ferrari red!) Fiesta was the best car I ever had.

Faultless and not a mark on it.
If the discs needed changing, it cost about £40 and took an hour of my time. Clip a wing mirror? No worries. Halfords = £6 for the replacement part.

Number of years owned = 3.
Total mileage = 40,000 miles
Total breakdowns = 0

MR2 Turbo:
Number of years owned = 1.5
Total mileage = 15,000 miles
Total breakdowns = 4
Total money spent = £5,000.
Location now = 3S services having the head gasket replaced.

Fiesta 2 : MR2 0
skipp123

Post by skipp123 »

same,

i have a metro 1.1 with 65k on it no service history ragged from cold every day of the week taken to rpm's u never thought possible from a 1.1 lol never changed the oil ect ect and never let me down

brought my mr2 turbo gets used next to nothing only weekends and sunny days, oil and filter changed every 2k warmed up and down all the time and its still cost me another 4k having the engine rebuilt lol

cars hey!

i thought women were expensive
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

I mean i didn't start this thread to knock the MR2 - a great 2 seater sports car.
More to prove that all "sports" cars no matter the format require a lot of work to keep them on the road.

Imaging what a 20yr old BMW Z3 would be like.. Hell i guess.
Negativvv

Post by Negativvv »

Yes Fiesta rock :?

Sisters 1997 Diesel 1.8 Fiesta=2 years in ownership, no breakdown, no problems. Serviced and just goes on

My mk1: Broke down twice since June. Needs love and attention unlike cheapie Ford! (i did expect to have to treat 22yr old MR2 with some patience tho...)
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

THE DUKE wrote:I mean i didn't start this thread to knock the MR2 - a great 2 seater sports car.
More to prove that all "sports" cars no matter the format require a lot of work to keep them on the road.

Imaging what a 20yr old BMW Z3 would be like.. Hell i guess.

Disagree, my 1988 MK1 has broken down twice in 4.5 years and 50K + miles of ownership. Once when I put diesel in (so entirely my fault) the second time when the clutch went - a consumable so not too worried.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

Yes Timat, sorry i was not descript enough. The Mk1 was an excellently constructed car. I beleive the 4age engine is possibly the greatest engine ever built, i had the GTi-16 Corolla and drove the living heck out of it. :)

But on the flip side the MK1's do tend to rust and still require more attention, servicing, respect than the average crappy Ford :)
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

THE DUKE wrote:Yes Timat, sorry i was not descript enough. The Mk1 was an excellently constructed car. I beleive the 4age engine is possibly the greatest engine ever built, i had the GTi-16 Corolla and drove the living heck out of it. :)

But on the flip side the MK1's do tend to rust and still require more attention, servicing, respect than the average crappy Ford :)

I think part of it is actually down to how much you care for a car. I care for my MK1 much more than I did for any of my other previous cars, mainly because it was a sportscar but also there was something special about it. The same with the MK2, there is something special about the car so you want to look after it, spend money on it, whereas a Fiesta you don't really care about, easily replaced so you don't lavish the same attention on it. Also I think I have been lucky with mine, it has cost £4,500 roughly over 4.5 years including buying the car, servicing, repairs, parts and repairing deer damage. Amazingly low for an 18/19 year old car!
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

Rev3 tubby -
Owned for 2.5 Years.
Items replaced:
- Suspension
- Brakes
- Tyres
- Service items.
Breakdowns - 0

Pug 106
Owned for 18months (on and off when Broinlaw is at uni)
Items replaced:
- Tyres
- Brakes
- Service Items
- alternator belt
Breakdowns - 1 (alternator belt)

1.4 Focus
Owned for 3 years
Items replaced
- Droplinks
- tyres
- Brakes
Breakdowns - 1

Maybe I'm just lucky :-$
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

Tiamat wrote:
THE DUKE wrote:Yes Timat, sorry i was not descript enough. The Mk1 was an excellently constructed car. I beleive the 4age engine is possibly the greatest engine ever built, i had the GTi-16 Corolla and drove the living heck out of it. :)

I think part of it is actually down to how much you care for a car. I care for my MK1 much more than I did for any of my other previous cars, mainly because it was a sportscar but also there was something special about it. The same with the MK2, there is something special about the car so you want to look after it, spend money on it, whereas a Fiesta you don't really care about, easily replaced so you don't lavish the same attention on it. Also I think I have been lucky with mine, it has cost £4,500 roughly over 4.5 years including buying the car, servicing, repairs, parts and repairing deer damage. Amazingly low for an 18/19 year old car!

Well thats a total contradiction. My point was i spend heaps on the MR2 with lots of servicing and it still breaks. Where as the Fiesta just keeps going without spending a cent. I care more for my Toyota than i do my Ford yet the ford will take the abuse.

I'm aware they are two different breeds but still.
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

the ford isn't even 10 years old yet ! see how it is when the same age as your toyota - if its still on the road.
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

Yet the ford has done 20k more miles.
ryan

Post by ryan »

I had a Fiasco, 1.4 Ghia X 1998, but it went from max to min on the dipstick in 500 miles. Something wrong with it me thinks
Dagenham dustbin. Drive it hard and those wishbones won't like you for it
#-o
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

THE DUKE wrote:Yet the ford has done 20k more miles.

but age is a bigger killer of cars and parts than high mileage - esp. if the high mileage car has been serviced at the right intervals. maybe if the car lives in a kinder environment than the UK mileage would be more of a factor, but as soon as anything metal arrives in the UK, it starts measuring itself for a rust jacket.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

splashnatz wrote:
THE DUKE wrote:Yet the ford has done 20k more miles.

but age is a bigger killer of cars and parts than high mileage - esp. if the high mileage car has been serviced at the right intervals. maybe if the car lives in a kinder environment than the UK mileage would be more of a factor, but as soon as anything metal arrives in the UK, it starts measuring itself for a rust jacket.

Plus, what have you done to the Fiesta? I'm guessing it's pretty much as it was when it left the factory. Where as the tubby will have been played with a bit?
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

vw polo
owned 2 months
broken down once and headlight bulb gone

mr2
owned 2 years
never broken down and never needed to replace anything apart from a knock sensor

spent around 6k on modds though :mrgreen:
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Would love to agree with this thread... in fact up until lunchtime today I would have done!! My 51 plate Fiesta ghia just failed its MOT and now I have a £300+ bill.... :pale:

I've had my Mr2 mk1a for 2 years and have spent nowhere near £300 on it!!

Now the Mk1 turbo on the other hand..... :pale: :pale: :pale:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

Not to jinx but:

My fiesta si 95 model broke down 3 times. and £3500 spent on it in 2.5 years. It was playing up right to when I exchanged it!

My MR2 g-limited had over 4 years no break down,and £3000 spent so far.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

mrtee wrote:vw polo
owned 2 months
broken down once and headlight bulb gone

mr2
owned 2 years
never broken down and never needed to replace anything apart from a knock sensor

spent around 6k on modds though :mrgreen:

lol, polo now broken down twice and third time on its way as it cuts out on idle :twisted: , lucky i can do my own work and fix it for parts only but it`s so cold out there and dark :twisted: :twisted:

Return to “Driving Experiences”