[Mk2] [Turbo] water injection OR intercooler spray bar?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

skipp123

[Mk2] [Turbo] water injection OR intercooler spray bar?

Post by skipp123 »

am i right in thinking that the water injection gets sprayed into the inlet manifold cooling the charge

and

the intercooler spray bar just squirts water on the intercooler?

whats the best?
luthor1

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] water injection OR intercooler spray bar?

Post by luthor1 »

BEST is a chargecooler.

Relying on water to be sprayed into your inlet manifold, or onto your intercooler for your cooling IMHO is 'cheating' whereas a closed loop radiator and circulating water is a much more reliable way of cooling properly.

What if you run out of 'spray'?

Just never appealed to me.

However - water injection can get amazing results, and intercooelr spray is used on the Subaru Impreza turbo on some higher powered models...
skipp123

Post by skipp123 »

i dont want to change my pp intercooler just looking for something extra to cool the charge a little
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Personally I'd say water injection.

Spray bars are effective, but not as effective as W/I due to heat soaking of the I/C pipes AFTER the I/C.

W/I goes straight in to the manifold/throttle body.
simmo490

Post by simmo490 »

i made HP spray bar and it didnt work that well, i then fitted WI and all was good:)

it does not make a difference if the water runs out if you are jsut using it for cooling purposes, however if you are using methanol and getting the ignition advance then if would make a difference if it ran out

simmo
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

skipp,

like you I have the PP intercooler and going down the WI kit. I have purchased the DevilsOwn Progressive kit.

Tony
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

water injection.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

water injection by miles...could you not fit a bit of extra piping and a different nozzle from the water injection kit to make your own intercooler spay as well when fitting....kill two birds with one stone :wink:
mcoppen

Post by mcoppen »

Made a spray bar for mine for about £10, windscreen washer bottle pump and a bit of brake piping bent to make a good shape. Have a look in my garage. Bargain. I also have a WI kit heading my way to, so should work really well. As for the what if you run out comments, well just don't. Not that hard to remember to fill it up is it.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Water injection does it work in the cylinders and not in the manifold. WI is not an intercooler and will do no cooling in the manifolding. The best place for the injectors is just before the inlet valves and not by the TB.
FYI I have been selling and designing WI systems from back in the 70s so I do know what works best.
Last edited by bobhatton on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

bobhatton wrote:Water injection does it work in the cylinders and not in the manifold. WI is not an intercooler and will do no cooling in the manifolding. The best place for the injectors is just before the inlet valves and not by the TB.
FYI I have been selling and designing WI systems from back in the 70s so I do know what works best.

Very true, but sadly most common (Aquamist etc) W/I systems (certainly that I know of) only supply a pump capable of supplying one nozzle.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Slarty wrote:
bobhatton wrote:Water injection does it work in the cylinders and not in the manifold. WI is not an intercooler and will do no cooling in the manifolding. The best place for the injectors is just before the inlet valves and not by the TB.

Very true, but sadly most common (Aquamist etc) W/I systems (certainly that I know of) only supply a pump capable of supplying one nozzle.

The makers of Aquamist copied the Aquaboost system I was making back in the 80s. I still have the order they sent me for the system.
The pump will supply an amount of water and that can go to one nozzle or more. The more nozzles the smaller the holes will be in each but the total amount of water should be the same no matter how many nozzles are in use
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

bobhatton wrote: The makers of Aquamist copied the Aquaboost system I was making back in the 80s. I still have the order they sent me for the system.
The pump will supply an amount of water and that can go to one nozzle or more. The more nozzles the smaller the holes will be in each but the total amount of water should be the same no matter how many nozzles are in use

<bangs head on desk> ](*,)

Of course, you're right. One nozzle to feed four cylinders requires exactly the same flow rate as four individual nozzles feeding each cylinder.

Had a bit of a blonde moment there :lol:

The only down side is that it would require more work to locate the 4 nozzles as apposed to the single nozzle route. How long to take an MR2 intake manifold off anyone?
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

bobhatton,

I will be fitting my WI over the winter months and would appreciate your advice.

If the water is not supplied at the location you specify, what would you say was the next best location to install the nozzle on the 3SGTE setup?

Does the engine need to be taken out of the bay to take the inlet manifold off? This would probably be the biggest issue for me on changing the size of the nozzles while testing and setting up the system. If the nozzles were easily interchanged in the inlet manifold I would go that route.
weegaz22

Post by weegaz22 »

luthor1 wrote:
Relying on water to be sprayed into your inlet manifold, or onto your intercooler for your cooling IMHO is 'cheating'

what a load of b0ll0cks

how in the hell is it "cheating"?!?!

if it gets the results required then who cares? sure it will require a bit more regular attention topping up a resivoir, but so what?

it will also keep the internals cleaner as it wont coke up anywhere near as bad

only time it would be cheating is if he was in a motorsport event that didnt allow it..
philster_d

Post by philster_d »

The aquamist s1 has a pressure sensor. So for example you can set it only to spray when it sees pressure over 10 PSI. So its not on all the time just when you boot/need it.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

would it not be better only activating the spray when the inlet temps hit a certain figure AND you and on the throttle?
weegaz22

Post by weegaz22 »

allan welsh wrote:would it not be better only activating the spray when the inlet temps hit a certain figure AND you and on the throttle?

id say thats just over complicating things, if its set to turn on at a set boost pressure like 10psi then your going to be on the throttle and the temp will be rising as the boost pressure increases anyway
oBladeo

Post by oBladeo »

Do both you know it makes sense :D
Fred

Post by Fred »

wiser words 8)

Return to “Modifications”