Jacking Car up and balancing wheels

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

lffuller

Jacking Car up and balancing wheels

Post by lffuller »

Hi All

A small question, wondering if anyone can help with. I have just been to have my front wheels re-balanced as I always seem to get speed wobble since I put after-market 15" wheels on. I have a T-Bar and the garage jacked the whole front up in one go. Is it ok to do that, can it put extra strain on the chassis? Also since that happened it seems to make an odd noise from the front when driving along, like air rushing? Maybe I'm paranoid!!

Finally, anyone got any tips for getting wheels balanced properly. I'm wondering if I should just put the original wheels back on. They were fine - drive wise.
un1eash

Re: Jacking Car up and balancing wheels

Post by un1eash »

Its fine to jack the complete front end up aslong as they used the correct jacking points, jacking anywhere else can cause damage. Do your alloys have the correct size bore? I required spiggot rings for my 15" alloys because without these to centre the alloys i got vibrations at 70+.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

I usually show the garage where to jack up my cars if they don't already know, saves bent suspension components. :(

Don't be afraid to ask if they're aware of where the jacking points are.
OriRacer

Post by OriRacer »

I am correct in saying that you have low profile tyres on these 15's as well ?
As this will cause more road noise as well.
lffuller

Post by lffuller »

Yes they are low profile, but I didn't really notice this additional noise until after the front of the car was jacked up centrally.
OriRacer

Post by OriRacer »

If you really don't think there balanced correctly go to ..... dare it say it kwik-fit or farmer's as they have the best stuff to balance and align stuff.

But I would be it down to the low profiles and it being a mr2.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”