[Mk2] [NA] kinda urgent question

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dragoonlordz

[Mk2] [NA] kinda urgent question

Post by dragoonlordz »

ordered new gearbox, arrived and took car and gearbox to garage to get fitted BUT! they have semi-stripped it down (car) and now are asking ME to get the right gear oil and find the the quantity needed.... ok as you can tell by my profile i have the 1990 mk2 rev 1 g-limited (3sge engine) model. the garage ive got my car being worked on in, says they need to know the gearbox oil grade looking at other posts 75-90 would do BUT i dont know how much becuase i dont have the manual for my car being an import and the manual i ordered from gaybay was for turbo and 3sfe models ... ... ... which wasnt explained in advert... ... even tried to ring toyota but noone answering their phones ](*,)

so yeh sorry need answers for following please:

what grade oil or even name a product for me would be nice (not mt90 though becuase i heard its mainly for track or drag usage as opposed to street car use)

and how much oil do i need to put in for my model of mk2 gearbox?
fearless

Re: [Mk2] [NA] kinda urgent question

Post by fearless »

hope you get ansawer soon i need to know what oil aswell as im going to change mine soon :thumleft:
dragoonlordz

Post by dragoonlordz »

its extremely frustrating i dont have manual and my toyota dealer isnt answering their phone and my car is in the garage already and i cant get the work finished or any progress made on it till i find out how much i need to put in, i might order silkolene or maybe even redline mt90 but i have no idea what quantity to order.... i miss my mr2 :cry:
ive also emailed roguemotorsport for help regarding quantity needed just now, but obviously wont find out till tommorrow if they can help answer it, and the rogue guy (patrick i think) isnt online on imoc right now :pale:
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

fearless

Post by fearless »

cheers trev your a star :thumleft: got my plates today a 13x4 like your front one will post pics when fitted :thumleft:
dragoonlordz

Post by dragoonlordz »

dunno 8-[ imma big noobie so i dont know if going by that link im supposed to put 2.6 or 3.8 or 4.2.... since they specify 5sfe and 3sgte engines on that link images... and mines 1990 3sge :pale:
Last edited by dragoonlordz on Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dragoonlordz

Post by dragoonlordz »

hasnt anyone with a mk2 rev1 3sge model replaced their gearbox oil before that could tell me how much they used?
i dont want to order too much as im trying desperatly to keep costs down the garage wants me to order a gallon of oil :-s
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Copied this for you from this post
Get Redline MT-90 Gearbox oil, again it's one of the best oils out there You will need 4 USA quart bottles of MT-90 (as it does not come in litres) to fill up the gear box.
http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/ForumsPro/viewto ... art=0.html
LuizeGT

Post by LuizeGT »

mine took about 3 litres but once its on the car and you start filling, the moment it starts to pour back out.....thats the full line, so it doesnt allow overfilling easy.
dragoonlordz

Post by dragoonlordz »

so ill order 3 litres or 4 quart bottles, ok thanks thats pretty much put me on the right track thanks peeps :thumleft:
dragoonlordz

Post by dragoonlordz »

eek! lucky i didnt order any last night as the garage mech popped round this morning and said he checked out what it needed and already picked some up.... this is after the mech told me yesterday to order some or pick some up (a gallon or so he told me)... might have ended up wasting around 50 squid if he had told me this news just 15-20 minutes later as i was just about to place an order :pale:
k-ro

Post by k-ro »

should take just over 3.5 litres

Return to “Mechanical”