MR2C - Mallory 14.10.07

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

System-G

Re: MR2C - Mallory 14.10.07

Post by System-G »

Squizz wrote:Great to see you all there! :thumleft:

Apart from the post-race shennanigans, due to someone's remarkable lack of a grasp on reality, it was a great day. :D

Good to see you guys there too! And well done on the awards 8) :thumleft:

We heard the shennanigans from both sides... and to quote Jim Morrison - "I sit on the fence... and my balls hurt" :mrgreen:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Squizz

Post by Squizz »

Yeah - I might have to review my opinion.

They had all the cars there, why didn't they just weigh them all anyway?

Karen's result may have been at least a place better, but for the fact she didn't trust a certain racer to fight her without contact and thus let him past after a while, and another one rejoined the track and she should have got past but once again was not confident that he would not have caused an incident.

Thus she had an incident free race but it's hardly the way forward, is it! :mad: :evil:

Oh yeah, our in-car camera shows a certain car producing some lovely flames... :-s
MartG

Post by MartG »

Squizz wrote:Oh yeah, our in-car camera shows a certain car producing some lovely flames... :-s

No way can that be standard then :-k
Squizz

Post by Squizz »

MartG wrote:No way can that be standard then :-k

Dunno Mart. 8-[

It's certainly not something we're aware our car does (Unless someone knows different? :? ). I've spotted it before on this particular car from exterior video.

Dramatic improvements in performance lately, too... 8-[
MartG

Post by MartG »

:-k

Possible cause - running rich, which would also give a little more power. The old '5p resistor' on the water temp sensor would do this by giving a false temp reading and fooling the ECU into thinking the engine is still cold, hence the ECU running it rich.
Squizz

Post by Squizz »

Should I be proud or embarressed that I was unaware of such simple (possibly) performance enhancing modifications? :roll:
racing23mr2

Post by racing23mr2 »

MartG wrote:
Squizz wrote: due to someone's remarkable lack of a grasp on reality

:lol:

I hope that when the car is tested the organisers bear in mind that for legal reasons the 122/123bhp quoted by Toyota for the MR2 is the minimumthat a production engine would have produced. Most if not all MR2s would have had more power than quoted when new, and there are known cases of totally standard cars being rolling roaded at over 130bhp.

[/i]

Challenge regulations only allow for the MK1`s to be able to achieve 122bhp plus a rough 5bhp allowed for air filter and exhaust gain.

i agree with you , but these said cars have been well maintained and loved, most of the challenge cars have only seen a service if they were lucky before been hurled around a circuit at 6.5 -7.5ooo revs, hence the unreliability of most, that said when we had mine dyno graphed after the rebuild with all original but new parts the car was able to reach the magical 122bhp allowed in the regs, so most on the grid knowing that most are not mechanically checked regularly and serviced, plus being over weight would be hard pressed to be this or above.

a personal choice of theirs not to put the time in and put the effort into preparation and well maintain their car, i chose to be able to race mine with the most piece of mind possible on reliability.
at least this way i give myself a fighting chance, the entries cost, getting to the circuit costs so why would you take a vehicle you did not have the upmost confidence in ?

you cannot rule out mechanical failure entirly but you do need to cover everything you can.
----------------------------------
www.sarahwherryracing.com
racing23mr2

Post by racing23mr2 »

SQUIZZ! get Karen in a MK2 next year..........

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Squizz

Post by Squizz »

Sarah - Glad you had a decent race with no further damage to fix in the winter period! :)

Any Choccy-peanuts left? :sick: :wink:
Squizz

Post by Squizz »

racing23mr2 wrote:SQUIZZ! get Karen in a MK2 next year..........

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Cheers Sarah... possibly... But we've been made a good offer which will hopefully see us in the Nippon Challenge next year. :-k

A MK2 would be good, and would be competitive in the PowerNights too, which are fantastic events. :roll:

Lots to sort out. :?
racing23mr2

Post by racing23mr2 »

sounds interesting enjoy :clap:
jonp02

Post by jonp02 »

would a rich car not be down on hp? as i understand the std fuel map's (from briskly reading JWR_AW11 comments) run slightly rich at the top end limiting gains anyhow, i can understand the idea behind increasing fueling into the cylinder, but surley its a step backswards unless the VE is changed alowing for the fuel to be burnt efficently ? gueniunly intrested

jon
(sorry no spellcheck :( )
racing23mr2

Post by racing23mr2 »

jonp02 wrote:would a rich car not be down on hp? as i understand the std fuel map's (from briskly reading JWR_AW11 comments) run slightly rich at the top end limiting gains anyhow, i can understand the idea behind increasing fueling into the cylinder, but surley its a step backswards unless the VE is changed alowing for the fuel to be burnt efficently ? gueniunly intrested

jon
(sorry no spellcheck :( )

CORRECT! my car was spitting the odd flame last year and all manner of people were shall we say enquiring as to why and enquiring was it the reason my car was quick, you are correct , in my case we had rebuilt the engine and had the mixture a tad wrong, this was due to running late on the rebuild and not having the time to check things before the first race or two.

yes it was no gain and is in fact a loss on power hence my car does not do it any more. i really should have left this to Stu to answer as he is the mechanic but i just wanted to close the grey area of this car being or possibly having tuning issues(it did but the wrong and non beneficial kind).
Squizz

Post by Squizz »

I'm with Sarah and yourself on that one. Running intentionaly rich is not going to do any good whatsoever. Just going to foul the plugs, promote bore wash, etc.

Lets hope is was something inocuous, rather than regulated against "chippery". :wink:

All water under the bridge now. Move along, nothing to see here. Roll on next year! 8)
racing23mr2

Post by racing23mr2 »

question though...

the car we are talking about was not running legal do you know why?
cannot believe it got through scrutineering honestly it really shows the sillyness of them picking up little niggles when this is a clear breach of the blue book, Stu noticed it did anyone else?

just look at some photos of the said car(front view) its not mechanical but is in the blue book as a definite reg....come on Tim can you see it? can anyone else?

i have not posted this as an sort of protest against the car or driver, really against the scrutineering , though not in malice just making a point.
Last edited by racing23mr2 on Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
MartG

Post by MartG »

racing23mr2 wrote:just look at some photos of the said car(front view) its not mechanical but is in the blue book as a definite reg....come on Tim can you see it? can anyone else?

Can we have a clue Sarah ? :-k
racing23mr2

Post by racing23mr2 »

MartG wrote:
racing23mr2 wrote:just look at some photos of the said car(front view) its not mechanical but is in the blue book as a definite reg....come on Tim can you see it? can anyone else?

Can we have a clue Sarah ? :-k

here you go then pop quize......

as i said i have no issues with this car or the driver it is a slip made by officials that love to quote the blue book.(click pic to enlarge a bit)

MartG

Post by MartG »

Erm - where's his race number ?
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

I think it is to do with what was standard between different years of manufacture, and what was stated in the regs being the standard of a later mk1b car......
but imo you have to go with the exact statement in the regs really
Squizz

Post by Squizz »

Oh right?!

I was referring to a different car. It will be obvious when I post up the race video. 8-[

As for the front number, when you get to Rob's age, you tend to start forgetting things! :lol:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”