[Mk2] [Turbo] Just hit an old mini

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

zebidi

[Mk2] [Turbo] Just hit an old mini

Post by zebidi »

Just hit an old mini and gave hima slight dent. Me? Most of the nearside paint on the front bumper is flaking off.

I asked him not to report it until later when I go round to see him.

He wants to knock it out himself and have me arrange to get it sprayed or maybe even me just buy him the paint as he doesnt want anyone working on it.

What are my rights in this matter? I defo dont want to go through insurance.

Help! this is my first accident :(
Neil_turbo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Just hit an old mini

Post by Neil_turbo »

If you don't go through insurance i don't think you have any rights!

you will have to agree between yourselves or let the insurance company decide what the outcome is.

sounds like a fair request from him TBH
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

I had an old guy hit me and he didnt want to go through insurance, I was fine with that, nipped to a body repair place for a quote (They came up with over 700 quid) I went round his later and showed him the quote... Poor old geezer nearly had an heartattack.... I just said give me half and i'll do it myself... he was happy, jobs a good un.

I find unless its a serious accident its better to work around insurance.

If he's willing to not go through insurance then i'd jump at the chance, paint pretty cheap anyway, chuck him 100 quid and have done :thumleft:
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

Seconded - don't go through the insurance unless it's a major claim. I suppose it depends on how much NCB you stand to lose and how much your premium might go up because you've had an accident too. It really adds up over a few years.

If the guy seems pretty straight and can do some of the work it sounds like you could come out of it OK if you just need a respray and minor filling on your car.

Best of luck :thumleft:
dragoonlordz

Post by dragoonlordz »

i know what you mean aout avoiding insurance claiming, i hit an old biddies wing mirror last night trying to squeeze between 4 cars on a 1 lane traffic road (cars parked on both sides and cars coming each way me being one, neither wanted to reverse and i couldnt reverse since it was good 300 yards round a blind corner to nearest place i could go which was a 3 way road junction of which i wouldnt be able to see whats coming due to angle of road on hill.) so i tryed to squeeze through middle clipped the old biddies wing mirror and the plastic bit fell off hers, while mine just neatly folded back in, after 5 minutes or fiddling around she got hers to clip back in and mine just went back out like normal using electric mirror retract button on door =)
she did have a go at me though since she claimed i drove too fast (wasnt btw was doing 2-3mph in a 30 zone becuase of the narrow road situation i was in) and she said i was lucky this time and went on her merry way and so did i lol :thumleft:
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

depends on what cover you have and your excess aswell. If third party yours won't be covered anyway!

your excess is likely to cost just as much!
zebidi

Post by zebidi »

excess is 450 so i think i will tell him about cash settlement.
I'm just on the verge of one years ncb :(
Cj82

Post by Cj82 »

I run in the back of a old chap a few years ago in my impreza and he got out opened the boot on his astra and said to me you best check it you look like you know more about cars than me lol so had a quick look said looks alright to me do you want my details just in case and he said no don't worry i ain't that bothered anyway its the mrs car lol
simmo490

Post by simmo490 »

lol sounds awsome.

i hit a old old old mini in an army van on the way back from a rowing comp at henley.

when i hit the back of the mini both the front seats fell through the floor basically.

both young gals then got out (high as kites) and ranted at me lol, turns out there grandad bought it new in ninteen blob and it had been passed down hehe

oh well

simmo
Stretchermunkey

dent

Post by Stretchermunkey »

For cosmetic damage settling with the other driver direct is probably best, but you have to be careful, if there is any chance of unoticed damage to the car he could take your cash and at a later date still persue you via his insurance company
javascript:emoticon('#-o')
d'oh!
rookie-racer

Post by rookie-racer »

sounds like the guy has been really decent with you, tell him you need to know EXACTLY what paint he wants and what he drinks and fire him the paint and a bottle asap
zebidi

Post by zebidi »

Good news! He's knocked out the dent I couldn't believe how good it was.

Took him to my mate that works in the body shop and got quoted £150 to spray it, fair enough I thought rather than paying the excess lol
rookie-racer

Post by rookie-racer »

glad to hear it...

jsut remember and give the boy a bottle of malt for being such a top notch ferrer with yer.
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy »

makes a shambles of why we pay for insurance dosent it!!

Claim and you loose NCD and premium goes up , even though its not your fault, dont claim and then you pay to have it fixed which prob cost the same as your insurance which you got to protect against that in the first place!

Insurance is a con for that very reason, yet might save you loads of cash if you cause a massive pile up, or hit a 50K car, other than that , waste of time for the same reason your not using it for this accident!
philster_d

Post by philster_d »

I hit boost then I hit a proton :)

I went back with the guy to the garage, it was a customers car and apparently their most complainy customer (being test driven by their mechanic).

My car had not a mark on it, his car didnt look too bad, I offered to pay and the owner agreed. Sadly his crappy car had to go on a jig and have my 12 psi pulled back out of it. :oops: Costly.
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

Hellboy wrote:makes a shambles of why we pay for insurance dosent it!!

Claim and you loose NCD and premium goes up , even though its not your fault, dont claim and then you pay to have it fixed which prob cost the same as your insurance which you got to protect against that in the first place!

Insurance is a con for that very reason, yet might save you loads of cash if you cause a massive pile up, or hit a 50K car, other than that , waste of time for the same reason your not using it for this accident!

:-k

cars are cheap to repair. what if you hit someone who needs ongoing treatment for the rest of their live?

If its not your fault you dont loose your NCD?

I agree its a pain and profit margins are probably way to high, but there for a reason, lost count on how many of my friends have crashed now.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”