ABS problems still not sorted !

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ryan

ABS problems still not sorted !

Post by ryan »

I got Mr T to have another look at the brakes when it was in for a service the other day. Its the second MrT i've taken it to and they didn't know what the problem was!
The ABS light is coming on on startup and going off after a second or two- as expacted. The sensors have all been checked and are ok, and the ABS diagnostic is showing no faults!
I had an E mail from someone with the same problem who suggested it may be the actuator in the ABS unit.
MR T said that a fault code would come up if that was the case.
So i'm a bit bewildered by it all really, and I would like ABS for this period of the year especially!
Any ideas anyone?
:?
Jayng

Possible fault

Post by Jayng »

Hi Ryan

Check you electrical connections to the ABS ECU and the actuator. I don`t mean the wiring but the actual plugs. Unplug all the connectors and check to see whether moisture/water is inside the connectors.

Don`t ask why as it`s a long story but it solved my PWR steering problem that I had on a MR2 and like you, the respective warning light worked as normal and no error codes.

Worth a go as it`ll cost you nothing.
Azz

Re: ABS problems still not sorted !

Post by Azz »

Do what I did and cut the ABS sensor cable and seal it off, I hit a pot hole at around 60-70Mph the wheels locked and the ABS decided to release the all 4 wheels then re-apply the brakes it took about 1 second for it to do this but I travelled to far and overshot my braking point and had to slam it in second just to slow down in time at 70Mph in 1 second you can travel very far, so I cut all 4 sensors and now I brake the car when I want feels sooo much better,
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Azz wrote:Do what I did and cut the ABS sensor cable and seal it off, I hit a pot hole at around 60-70Mph the wheels locked and the ABS decided to release the all 4 wheels then re-apply the brakes it took about 1 second for it to do this but I travelled to far and overshot my braking point and had to slam it in second just to slow down in time at 70Mph in 1 second you can travel very far, so I cut all 4 sensors and now I brake the car when I want feels sooo much better,

sounds like you left it too late to brake in the first place ;) The later versions have 4 wheel ABS - it can unlock an individual wheel then re-apply that brake without affecting the other wheels
ryan

Post by ryan »

Where are the connectors located? I haven't looked at the car myself, so I haven't a clue where the connectors are. Also I dont know where the ABS diagnostic is. Sorry to be quite so useless, i'm assuming i'll need to remove the front under bonnet cowling to check some of the connections?
Thanks for the suggestion :lol: [/quote]
www.mr2turbo.info

Post by www.mr2turbo.info »

ryan wrote:I got Mr T to have another look at the brakes when it was in for a service the other day. Its the second MrT i've taken it to and they didn't know what the problem was!
The ABS light is coming on on startup and going off after a second or two- as expacted. The sensors have all been checked and are ok, and the ABS diagnostic is showing no faults!
I had an E mail from someone with the same problem who suggested it may be the actuator in the ABS unit.
MR T said that a fault code would come up if that was the case.
So i'm a bit bewildered by it all really, and I would like ABS for this period of the year especially!
Any ideas anyone?
:?
I have the same problem, everything seems happy with my brakes and ABS, just it just doesn't work anymore. It used to work fantastically well. Warning light is fine, sensors are fine, new pads and disks all round, new tyres all round of the same pattern, but the wheels just lock, even at 70 mph.

I was looking at the archives to see if there was any known causes of this - hence the post to an ancient thread. Don't know if the original poster is still around or whether he eventually fixed his problem.

I wondered if it be a fluid bleeding problem? Or something like the power steering relay problem? I'm capable of diagnosing electronic stuff just had a feeling that someone must have had this problem before.

Mines a revision 3 turbo - that's significant cause I think its a different ABS system to rev 1 and rev 2.

Thanks,

Robin - [email protected]

94 turbo

--
www.mr2turbo.info
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

allan welsh wrote:The later versions have 4 wheel ABS - it can unlock an individual wheel then re-apply that brake without affecting the other wheels

I wondered what the actual difference was. The early system sucks donkey dick, that's why i'm ditching it. I feel far safer with me making the decisions.
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

The Rev1 ABS was a bit harsh - I never had any problems with it on my Rev2 with 15" rims.

17" rims + skinny sidewalls will make lockup away less gradual and give the ABS a harder time - I can see this being a problem on a Rev1.

Return to “Mechanical”