[Mk2] [Generic] tyres sizes for 15" alloys

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CM1GT

[Mk2] [Generic] tyres sizes for 15" alloys

Post by CM1GT »

i've just got a set of 15" rev 3 alloys for my rev 1 and i need to get some tyres, i'm going for toyo T1Rs but i'm unsure wether to go for a 205&225 50 or a 195&215/45 tyre combination, the 50 profile are the closest Match to the originals with a rolling radius within 0.5% and are £230 the 45 profiles are 5% smaller so i'll lose a bit of top end but will gain acceleration and not get as much tramlining from the tyres, and they're only £180, does anyone have any ideas which i should go for?
llangollen

my advice

Post by llangollen »

stay with the standard sizes 195/55/15 & 225/50/15
luthor1

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] tyres sizes for 15" alloys

Post by luthor1 »

there are lots of opinions - this is mine. FTLOG don't buy T1R's in standard size. I strongly dislike the feel, feedback and tyre-roll they give.

I'm using the Falken ZIEX 512's as in the Challenge race series. In the series they are being slammed as they seem to overheat and have lot's of issues, however when you drop them down to road use, they are actually pretty good.

:thumleft:
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

I have Toyo T1-R's in stock 195/55 and 225/50 forms. Yes there is a slight flex in the sidewalls when pushing it hard round corners but it's mainly because they're a soft tyre and they grip well in dry and wet conditions which is the most important thing. They also give a nice quiet ride. I'm glad I bought them. I've had Falken 512's and 451's in the past and they're good tyres for the money but I do prefer Toyo's for their wet grip.
Tomiam

Post by Tomiam »

Just bought a set of Toyo R888's in the stock sizes. 195/55/15 and 225/50/15. I honestly cant fault them.
PFrazier

Post by PFrazier »

Tomiam wrote:Just bought a set of Toyo R888's in the stock sizes. 195/55/15 and 225/50/15. I honestly cant fault them.

Are you using these on a daily driver? I took a look at the Toyo site and saw the info below concerning R888 tires

"Caution: Careful attention is required in wet conditions due to limited aquaplaning abilities. As this tyre is designed and produced with special designs and compounds for competition, no warranty is applied"
CM1GT

Post by CM1GT »

my original plan was r888's but after talking to a few people in the know who warned me of their complete lack of grip in the cold let alone wet i decided to go for something more road biased, the other problem i have is as my car is rev1 the standard tyre sizes are 195 & 205 / 60 / 14 so the standard tyres for the rev3 alloys have a bigger rolling radius, which will mean slower car and more strain on the drive train, i've finally found a decent set up and will be ordering them shortly, going for T1R 195 & 205 / 50 / 15 should be perfect
Tomiam

Post by Tomiam »

PFrazier wrote:
Tomiam wrote:Just bought a set of Toyo R888's in the stock sizes. 195/55/15 and 225/50/15. I honestly cant fault them.

Are you using these on a daily driver? I took a look at the Toyo site and saw the info below concerning R888 tires

"Caution: Careful attention is required in wet conditions due to limited aquaplaning abilities. As this tyre is designed and produced with special designs and compounds for competition, no warranty is applied"

Yes I am using them as a daily drive. Took them out yesterday in the wet, and found a nice open road. Drove at 40mph, slammed on the brakes (EBC green pads with grooved / vented discs) didnt slide. Took it around a few corners and gave it the beans, nothing majorly wrong there either. Yes, I could have stepped the back out in the wet, but they still provided lots of grip.

The issue I understand is not with wet roads, its with standing water. ie: If there is a puddle on the road. Having not experienced anything like this yet I cant comment.

Please note my feedback is based on only using them for a short while.

Return to “Modifications”